Not open for further replies.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
This is what I have always gone by. . .

0mg/mL Nicotine This means that there is no nicotine in your e-liquid mixture.
Zero nicotine levels are usually ordered by people who have quit smoking but still have an oral fixation and use an electronic cigarette to satisfy it.

6mg/mL Nicotine This level of nicotine is the lightest level offered.
For people who wish to enjoy the smallest possible nicotine level while still enjoying a full e-liquid taste.
This is commonly the last level in "stepping."

12mg/mL Nicotine On the lower end of the spectrum, 12mg/ml is a comfortable level for people who prefer nicotine, but aren't heavy vapers.
This level is also common for people who used to smoke light cigarettes.

18mg/ml Nicotine This is the middle of the road in terms of nicotine.
Most vapers who were former smokers enjoy this level because it delivers the perfect amount of nicotine in each vape.

24mg/ml Nicotine This is on the high side of nicotine levels and is commonly preferred by people who were formally heavy smokers (about a pack per day).
It has a noticeable nicotine level that many former smokers enjoy.

36mg/ml Nicotine This is the highest concentration of nicotine that we offer our customers.
People who prefer this level are usually former smokers with a serious addiction, usually meaning more than two packs per day.

Here is where I got this information. http://www.vapertrain.com/page/hdics
JC_link.gif

Last edited:

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
This is an older 2009 study, which is useful data mainly because it measured the blood nicotine level of real smokers. After smoking two Marlboro Reds, the mean blood level was 18.8 ng/ml. They went on to compare this result to use of a Ruyan e-cig, which has pretty weak delivery by today's standards.

This 2013 study was a pretty comprehensive measurement of blood nicotine levels, using lab-supplied cartomizers with participants' choices of mod and liquid. Most participants used 18mg-strength liquid, with one using 9mg and one other using 24mg. Puffing every 30 seconds for 5 minutes, the mean serum level for 8 participants was 10.3 ng/ml (+/- 2 SEM). After a 10-minute break they commenced a 1-hour ad-lib vaping session, getting to mean levels of 16.3 ng/ml (+/- 4.5 SEM) at the final measurement.

This June 2013 study compared simple nicotine consumption over fixed time periods, for vaping versus cigarette smoking, and vaping versus nicotine inhalers. Participants used eGo-T batteries and Nobacco Epsilon clearomizers. It concluded that 21mg-strength juice would be needed to match cigarettes, and that 24mg-strength juice would be needed to match nicotine inhalers. It also made the case that these are conservative estimates of the needed strength.

I don't think there's yet been a study of cloudchase-style vaping, but it's pretty common knowledge that you want less nicotine in your liquid if you're stuffing giant clouds of vapor in every lungful. If you're using more modest toppers and attys, the above data should prove useful.

P.S. To your original question, that last study used "1 cigarette delivers 1mg of nicotine" as their standard, although they suspected it was more. So 20 cigarettes in a pack would deliver at least 20mg of nicotine when smoked, and you could get pretty close to that with around 1mL of stronger liquid.

Last edited:

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
And not one person posts that the mg level of nic equals ONE ML of ejuice...so a 15ml bottle of ejuice at 6mg of nic contains NINETY mg OF NIC......okay now that is out of the way let's continue......let's ask a simple question with a VERY SIMPLE ANSWER....what is the largest nic patch that Nicoderm makes in mg of nicotine.....Answer: 21mg.....okay, stay with me. It is basically a 24 hour patch. Here is another question: how many cigs does the average smoker smoke in a 24 hour period. ...Answer: ONE PACK.....which is 20 cigarettes.....are you still with me.......SO...can you see where this is going....20 cigs equates to approx 21mg of nic....ding ding ding...so around 1 mg of nic PER cig....some brands are 1.5mg of nic per cig...Reds, Parliaments, maybe Winstons. So if you want to vape 21mg of nic per day you can vape 1ml plus a little bit of 18 mg ejuice or 3mls of 7 mg ejuice or 21 mls of 1 mg ejuice.....the most important equation is that 1ml of ejuice equals the nic level of your ejuice which nobody ever mentions and one of the dumbest measurements in the vape industry....Back to you Bob...

Last edited:

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Yeah, you should see on your juice bottles that the NIC level is either listed in % or weight/volume (24mg/mL). The weight/volume may not be as familiar to some, but it's a common measuring system.

The difficult part though, is that how much of the nicotine you get from vaping, depends on how you vape. If you just want to compare e-juice with cigarettes without regard to absorption... then you can find data on the nicotine content of various cigarettes searching online.

A great place to start reading would be right here on ECF at the following thread... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...garette-nicotine-equivalency.html#post5108486

quinngia

Moved On
Sep 8, 2014
New York
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
And not one person posts that the mg level of nic equals ONE ML of ejuice...so a 15ml bottle of ejuice at 6mg of nic contains NINETY mg OF NIC......okay now that is out of the way let's continue......let's ask a simple question with a VERY SIMPLE ANSWER....what is the largest nic patch that Nicoderm makes in mg of nicotine.....Answer: 21mg.....okay, stay with me. It is basically a 24 hour patch. Here is another question: how many cigs does the average smoker smoke in a 24 hour period. ...Answer: ONE PACK.....which is 20 cigarettes.....are you still with me.......SO...can you see where this is going....20 cigs equates to approx 21mg of nic....ding ding ding...so around 1 mg of nic PER cig....some brands are 1.5mg of nic per cig...Reds, Parliaments, maybe Winstons. So if you want to vape 21mg of nic per day you can vape 1ml plus a little bit of 18 mg ejuice or 3mls of 7 mg ejuice or 21 mls of 1 mg ejuice.....the most important equation is that 1ml of ejuice equals the nic level of your ejuice which nobody ever mentions and one of the dumbest measurements in the vape industry....Back to you Bob...

"Not one person," eh? I think I addressed this exactly, in my P.S. above you, added via edit 6 hours before your posting.

I'd argue that "the most important equation" is the amount of nicotine in the bloodstream during vaping or smoking, rather than just the raw amount used. Have a look at the chart from the 2nd study I linked above. After 15 minutes of ad-lib vaping, all participants (even the one using 24mg-strength liquid) had nicotine blood levels less than 11 ng/ml, compared to 18.8 ng/ml when smoking two Marlboro Reds (which would take about 10 minutes).

The evidence suggests that inhaling cigarette smoke imparts nicotine to the bloodstream more effectively than vaping does, at least with 2nd-generation equipment.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
"Not one person," eh? I think I addressed this exactly, in my P.S. above you, added via edit 6 hours before your posting.

I'd argue that "the most important equation" is the amount of nicotine in the bloodstream during vaping or smoking, rather than just the raw amount used. Have a look at the chart from the 2nd study I linked above. After 15 minutes of ad-lib vaping, all participants (even the one using 24mg-strength liquid) had nicotine blood levels less than 11 ng/ml, compared to 18.8 ng/ml when smoking two Marlboro Reds (which would take about 10 minutes).

The evidence suggests that inhaling cigarette smoke imparts nicotine to the bloodstream more effectively than vaping does, at least with 2nd-generation equipment.

The chart I consult is the one that says when I started vaping I consumed too much NIC. Your attachment is extremely interesting as well as helpful. Yes, Vape absorption is not as immediate as analog absorption no doubt...It's just that I never womped on analogs 24/7:vapor: like I do with a dna box in my hand. Great post.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas

YES YOU DID NICELY DONE!!!!! I always lead with it since no one ever tells new vapors this formula...I was never told...I had to read it here somewhere. I was agasp!!! after I had plowed through over 10mls of 8mg smoke juice:blink::blink::cry::cry::danger::danger:

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
it would be nice to know the numbers exactly.....i'm a numbers kind of guy.
my numbers say i'm vaping 1.5 ml of 6 mg/ml juice a day. that is wayyyyy less than my nic levels when i was smoking a pack of full flavor a day.

Unfortunately, it's really specific to each person based on exactly what you were smoking (brand and sub-brand, i.e., Marlboro Red King Size vs. Marlboro Lights 100s), how you smoked them (hot box continuously Vs. light puffs X how many puffs Vs. how much just burned up), how your body was absorbing the nic (a variety of things), etc.

It sounds like you are doing great at 1.5mL of 6mg/mL... almost sounds like you were smoking something where full flavor was already very low in nicotine and/or you weren't inhaling and/or you were letting most of them just burn up.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
I usually vape 5ml of 24mg nic a day, how many analogs is that

Could be upwards of 100 depending on if you want to know the amount of nicotine in total, or the amount used by your body...
EDIT: Could be way over 100 if it's comparing a super low nicotine cig. Marlboro Ultra Lights are listed as 0.5mg/cig... since you used 5x24=120mg, that's 240 cigs, but it doesn't really work that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread