New proposed FDA and UL guidelines for e-cigarette manufacturers that will affect YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If they really crack down we may live to see vapers heating juice in a spoon with a BIC lighter! We'll become vape junkies ...

At least we won't die from the product that the government gleans 10 billion in taxes from yearly. Go figure. It's not healthy ex-smokers they want to see, it's revenue.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yep. Everyone who carries a cell phone (or, a rechargeable tootle puffer mod) needs one.

Yeah... That was my Original thought on a Power Bank. To use it with my Phone.

But after I got this...

2x18650 Battery Charger 5V USB 5200mAh Power Bank Case Metal Box For Phone GPS | eBay

I found it worked Really Well with this...

BX Flexible LED Mini Portable USB Light | eBay

In fact, I use it so much as a Hands Free light, I bought a couple of more. As well as some of these...

New 2PCS Mini Portable Bright 3 LED Night Light USB Lamp for PC Laptop Reading 5284366681553 | eBay

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Works for this old lipo dude. I'm sure I can fill a closed system. More concerned about the next guy needing to quit smoking. I imagine that the market will find a way around this. Greed always wins.

Maybe. Greed fires up both sides. I just got a new Cannon printer. It was DOA so I called them and they sent a replacement, which turned out to be a newer model that cost twice as much. Thought I had lucked out. But then discovered they had stuck an upgraded chip in the ink cartridge, with matching software on the computer, making it really hard to refill the cartridges. When the chip says the cartridge is empty the computer and the printer compare notes and refuse to use it.

Maybe someone will figure out a workaround. There are after market gadgets available for some cartridges that can reset the chip. But manufactures have ways of fighting back, and it's likely to become harder to refill closed vaping systems.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Wel, we did have several years of wild wild west.

Yeah, those were the days we'll say when we are old and grey. Oh wait, we're already old and grey.

Actually I see hard times ahead. The looming menace seems to periodically die down and then come surging back, but this time it's pretty close. I don't think they will be able to wrap it up permanently though. As long as vaping is still going in other countries it will be a constant struggle for them to keep it under control. Especially if smoking rates continue to fall in countries that allow vaping and rises in the land of the free.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yeah, those were the days we'll say when we are old and grey. Oh wait, we're already old and grey.

Actually I see hard times ahead. The looming menace seems to periodically die down and then come surging back, but this time it's pretty close. I don't think they will be able to wrap it up permanently though. As long as vaping is still going in other countries it will be a constant struggle for them to keep it under control. Especially if smoking rates continue to fall in countries that allow vaping and rises in the land of the free.
    I used to be more optimistic as our numbers increased, but the crap they pulled in your state and then shutting down most of the vape shops here... Ayiyiyi

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Maybe. Greed fires up both sides. I just got a new Cannon printer. It was DOA so I called them and they sent a replacement, which turned out to be a newer model that cost twice as much. Thought I had lucked out. But then discovered they had stuck an upgraded chip in the ink cartridge, with matching software on the computer, making it really hard to refill the cartridges. When the chip says the cartridge is empty the computer and the printer compare notes and refuse to use it.

Maybe someone will figure out a workaround. There are after market gadgets available for some cartridges that can reset the chip. But manufactures have ways of fighting back, and it's likely to become harder to refill closed vaping systems.

Aftermarket Ink vendors have become smarter with generic cartridge chips. Ink is available that matches OEM hardware and works fine. Retired after 3 1/2 decades as a Xerox Field Engineer, I'm ticky about print quality.

I'm using EZink from Amazon in my Canon MX922 printer. No problems. Print quality is superb and the printer reads low ink and lights up the empty cartridge when it's time for a change. EZink guarantees compatibility, but so far no problems.

Last edited:
    Reactions: WillyZee

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Xerox Field Engineer
    my Canon MX922
    Traitor!
    WutFace.png

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    UL is a private company. It's decisions do not automatically become law. Some products on the market have that certification and others. that perform the same functions, do not. It's not a foregone conclusion that UL requirements will be imposed on everybody. In the meantime, for a bunch of other reasons, I've got a and the freezer door shelf is lined with amber glass bottles wrapped in bubble wrap.

• Agree
    Reactions: Opinionated

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The government can't keep it's hands out of a product that has done so much good for so many people, maybe that's the problem!
    Of course this is the problem. The FDA was charged with the task to regulate the use of e-cigarettes. Big Tobacco and Big Pharma are losing money to the vaping industry, and have strong lobbying power directed to the FDA to regulate e-cigarettes out of existance. The FDA gets a large portion of its funding from BT and BP, so they are not going to bite the hands that feeds it. It's all about big money.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

I cant figure out why anyone would worry about refilling something they can't change out the coil in..

The most disposable aspect of vaping is the coil.. that must be changed every few days with normal/heavy vaping.. when you can't change that out your whole system is worthless..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread