more questions on mech/ kick/ parallel & series circuit question on rda

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhentipede

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
California, USA
i have both... regulated mod and mech mod.... primarily use regulated using 1.1 ohm to about 2.2 ohms

i played with sub ohms too and enjoyed it too (no kick)

questions: if i put a kick1 or kick2 on my mech,

1. will it improve battery life? i like using 18490-18500 batt
2. will it have protection?
3. how low of ohms can i use on a kick1 kick2?

other questions:

1. dual coils with same ohms as single coil build does it drain battery faster or same as with single coil with the same ohm rating?

2. dual coil does it pull more amperes being in parallel circuit?

[-]----)))))-----[+]----)))))----[-] in parallel

3. how bout a dual coil build in series circuit..bent in the middle set up

[+]-------))))))------))))))------ [-] in series

thank you very much for any feedback

grindle

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Cork
questions: if i put a kick1 or kick2 on my mech,

1. will it improve battery life? i like using 18490-18500 batt

Not strictly, but it could be perceived that way because when unregulated you're much more likely to remove your battery once it hits ~3.6-3.7v due to the drop in vapour whereas the kick will regulate upwards from below that voltage.

2. will it have protection?

Yes, but don't put the kick in backwards!

3. how low of ohms can i use on a kick1 kick2?

kick1 - 1-ish

kick2 - 0.5ohm

other questions:

1. dual coils with same ohms as single coil build does it drain battery faster or same as with single coil with the same ohm rating?
Same.
2. dual coil does it pull more amperes being in parallel circuit?

[-]----)))))-----[+]----)))))----[-] in parallel

Yes, pulls more amps.

3. how bout a dual coil build in series circuit..bent in the middle set up

[+]-------))))))------))))))------ [-] in series

Pulls the same amount of amps as a single coil because it as far as the circuit is concerned it is a single coil...and it's a relatively pointless setup.

thank you very much for any feedback

The kick2 is only just-about okay for a dual-coil build (7.5w per coil), the kick1 is totally pointless, can't power it, don't bother (5w per coil).

shroom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2013
Brooklyn
Coils drain energy at different rates at different temperatures. Temperature increases resistance. A single coil will raise temperature and resistance a bit faster therefore will drop the energy consumption a bit faster. So, a single coil goes easier on a battery and as a result is more efficient compare to a dual set up.
Because a dual coil has more outside surface has more energy output even with the same resistance as a single one. More energy output means more energy consumption more energy consuption means higher Amperage.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Coils drain energy at different rates at different temperatures. Temperature increases resistance. A single coil will raise temperature and resistance a bit faster therefore will drop the energy consumption a bit faster. So, a single coil goes easier on a battery and as a result is more efficient compare to a dual set up.

While it is technically correct that increasing temp means increased resistance, with Kanthal it is only ~1%, Nichrome only ~2-4%, at the temperatures that we vape at (VG boils @ 290 °C, 554 °F). So practically speaking, temperature has no effect on energy consumption or amperage.

Kanthal%20Resistance.png

Because a dual coil has more outside surface has more energy output even with the same resistance as a single one. More energy output means more energy consumption more energy consuption means higher Amperage.

Surface area has nothing to do with electrical energy consumption. Energy consumption is is a product of the combination of Ohm's Law and the Joule's law that states Power = Voltage x Current (P=EI). The correlation between energy consumption (from the battery) and energy output (electrical energy converted to heat energy) is that they must be equal. So if 10 watts are consumed, then 10 joules must be generated. So a single coil will generate the exact same output as a dual coil of equal resistance and equal voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread