Mixing by Weight - Are You ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangebrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
NE Tennessee
Seems like a lot or work and money.Maye ok for making huge batches for commerical use.I just do the drop method make 5 ml bottles for personal use.Easy as pie.Seems like your trying to kill a fly with rocket launcher.

ah no, no big expense or work. Quick and clean. I don't have the ability to make 5 ml. I would be mixing every day or running dry. I mix up in batches from 60 to 180 ml. in less or equal time your entranced on droppings.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I know its to each there own and if someone wants to do something one way and another wants to do it another way so be it but out of curiosity, doesnt mixing by weight make things a whole lot harder? If your making something thats %50 PG and %50 VG yet each have different specific weights, now you have to do an algebra equation to determine the exact weight to achieve the proper ratio.
I can understand if your making a preferred stock ejuice thats selling for $30/10ml you would want every batch to be perfect and by weight is the only way this could be realistically achieved, but isnt it a little over kill for the common home DIY mixer, especially in light that the majority of e-recipes are done by percentages by ml versus weight?

I am glad to see people who do mix by weight because its another avenue for DIY'ers to enjoy our great hobby and not trying to be disrespectful to anyone. Just curious guys.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I know its to each there own and if someone wants to do something one way and another wants to do it another way so be it but out of curiosity, doesnt mixing by weight make things a whole lot harder? If your making something thats %50 PG and %50 VG yet each have different specific weights, now you have to do an algebra equation to determine the exact weight to achieve the proper ratio.
I can understand if your making a preferred stock ejuice thats selling for $30/10ml you would want every batch to be perfect and by weight is the only way this could be realistically achieved, but isnt it a little over kill for the common home DIY mixer, especially in light that the majority of e-recipes are done by percentages by ml versus weight?

I am glad to see people who do mix by weight because its another avenue for DIY'ers to enjoy our great hobby and not trying to be disrespectful to anyone. Just curious guys.

Not at all! Just use a juice calculator and pour straight out of the bottles - really fast :)

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Not at all! Just use a juice calculator and pour straight out of the bottles - really fast :)

I mix up batches of either 5ml or 10 ml when experimenting and i use 4oz size bottles of FA concentrates as well as others that are not with a dripper top. Some of the recipes call for .3 ml of this or .1 ml of that. No matter how steady you are, pouring that exact amount would be difficult in my opinion to say the least so you would still need syringes and pipettes for mixing. Your just not going by the amount but by the weight yet still have them to clean when done mixing.
I seen Strangebrew say that he doesnt have the ability to mix up 5ml batches (not sure if its because he is unable to with a scale or just uses too much for it to be practical) but this week I been on a tobacco quest and mixed up 10 15ml batches, 5 5ml batches and 6 30 ml batches of tobacco flavors. To mix all those up in large 60 ml batches would be way over kill as well as wasteful for those not liked goes to the sink.

Do you use a nominal weight for all concentrates or does each one get researched from MSDS? Same with PG and VG, is there any difference in weights between brands or are they all the same?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I mix up batches of either 5ml or 10 ml when experimenting and i use 4oz size bottles of FA concentrates as well as others that are not with a dripper top. Some of the recipes call for .3 ml of this or .1 ml of that. No matter how steady you are, pouring that exact amount would be difficult in my opinion to say the least so you would still need syringes and pipettes for mixing. Your just not going by the amount but by the weight yet still have them to clean when done mixing.
I seen Strangebrew say that he doesnt have the ability to mix up 5ml batches (not sure if its because he is unable to with a scale or just uses too much for it to be practical) but this week I been on a tobacco quest and mixed up 10 15ml batches, 5 5ml batches and 6 30 ml batches of tobacco flavors. To mix all those up in large 60 ml batches would be way over kill as well as wasteful for those not liked goes to the sink.

Do you use a nominal weight for all concentrates or does each one get researched from MSDS? Same with PG and VG, is there any difference in weights between brands or are they all the same?

I use 1.2g/ml for my Diluted VG. And 1g/ml for Everything else (PG, Flavoring, Sweetener, Water).

And I mix using Nicotine Base which is 100% PG. And I use 1g/ml for that Also.

Last edited:

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Some of the recipes call for .3 ml of this or .1 ml of that. No matter how steady you are, pouring that exact amount would be difficult in my opinion to say the least so you would still need syringes and pipettes for mixing. Your just not going by the amount but by the weight yet still have them to clean when done mixing.

Sometimes I mixed 5ml by weight, I can put exactly 0.2g of flavor on the scale. Precision is by just one drop :) For bottles that have no dripper cap, just buy some and put it on the bottle! FA concentrate bottles are in plastic that you can squeeze, it's perfect. Only one thing to clean at the end which is small funnels, takes like 20 seconds to rinse.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
Yeah, everything that doesn't come with a dropper cap I just move to a dropper bottle when I get it. I don't use syringes, pipettes, or a funnel when I mix. I premix bases in 4 and 8 oz bottles, and that's really the only time I concern myself with density. PG and VG densities are saved in my TI-89 calculator. For flavors I just use 1g/ml.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah, everything that doesn't come with a dropper cap I just move to a dropper bottle when I get it. I don't use syringes, pipettes, or a funnel when I mix. I premix bases in 4 and 8 oz bottles, and that's really the only time I concern myself with density. PG and VG densities are saved in my TI-89 calculator. For flavors I just use 1g/ml.

The TI-89 is a Great Hand Held.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It is! When I got it, I was mad at myself for not getting one sooner. I used the TI-84 for too long.

If you are a Student, about the Only down side is Many College Class will not let you Test with a TI-89.

But there is No Reason a student can't use it Day-in-Day-Out and then just Test with a TI-84.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Sometimes I mixed 5ml by weight, I can put exactly 0.2g of flavor on the scale. Precision is by just one drop :) For bottles that have no dripper cap, just buy some and put it on the bottle! FA concentrate bottles are in plastic that you can squeeze, it's perfect. Only one thing to clean at the end which is small funnels, takes like 20 seconds to rinse.

I bought a couple gram scales off ebay a few years back to use on helicopters. All precision measuring tools must be calibrated if they are to be used on aircraft and these scales have always passed calibration. I brought one home for mixing fiberglass resin and still have it in my shed so I might give this a try in the near future. Your idea of putting a drip cap on a 4 oz bottle to me wouldnt be practical Zurd but I have a bunch of 30 to 50 ml bottles that I can fill with flavor concentrates from the larger bottles and achieve the same results.
Is there an online calculator that deals with weight versus ml? I run linux and dont want to download a windows based program but would like to give mixing by weight a try.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
If you are a Student, about the Only down side is Many College Class will not let you Test with a TI-89.

But there is No Reason a student can't use it Day-in-Day-Out and then just Test with a TI-84.

I was done with straight math classes when I finally got it, but used it for electrical engineering classes.

Strangebrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
NE Tennessee
My bust for not being clear. 5 ml. isn't practical due to running more than 5 ml. a day. Your (5*5)+(6*30) = 205 ml. I also don't exceed 30 ml. per flavor, would like a mass amount of one flavor if it was the ultimate vape, which I haven't achieved.

Being consistent in your own method of mixing is best practice.

Strangebrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
NE Tennessee
I questioned my weights base on the listed densities, due to recently having noticed a large variation in a VG base I started using.
I've used 1 ml. volumetric pipettes to verify the weights of the Nicotine base and the PG, drawing the VG would be a hard chore.

How has any others determined their near close weights per ingredient?
(Using a few different sizes of graduations cylinders 5,10,and 25 in determining, is my next option.)

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I questioned my weights base on the listed densities, due to recently having noticed a large variation in a VG base I started using.
I've used 1 ml. volumetric pipettes to verify the weights of the Nicotine base and the PG, drawing the VG would be a hard chore.

(Using a few different sizes of graduations cylinders 5,10,and 25 in determining, is my next option.)

How large of a Variation are you Seeing?

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA

For vg and pg I just took the mass value listed on the gallon jugs I have (in grams) and divided by 3785ml (mls in a gallon). The value was consistent with the densities I found with a google search for pg and vg, and I haven't had a need to be more accurate than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread