Long term nic storage solution (for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
Since oxygen (oxidation)is the enemy of nic, I figured I would just remove it. Took 4ounce canning jar & filled (below threads)with unflavored nic,brought water temp in pot up to one65/70f which keeps nic @ one50/55f for 8min (after nic reaches temp)then remove. You will need to monitor the temps. When nic cools the lid will 'pop' & all oxygen is now eliminated. The nic looks,smells & tastes the same when opened a few days later. Stored in the dark, the nic will now last(IMO)for more then a few years. IMO,the temps used are no where near high enough to harm the nic. I now have my stash of 50mg/ml nic safely tucked away in the closet sans oxygen. No chance for long term results but being a long time canner (FWIW), I'm confident this is the answer for long term nic storage (for me). I'm not interested in convincing,nor debating anyone of the merits of this method but just wanted to share 'my' approach. Do with it what you will. I just don't feel comfortable with the freezer method. Hope this will help someone.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
Good idea, thanks for sharing!

Your post reminded me of a Christmas gift I got last year... it was a pump thingy that would suck the air out of wine bottles so they would keep longer after being opened. The one I got as a gift only lasted a couple of days (it used batteries and it just died), but after a quick search I see that several companies make them. Could be another solution, although not as cheap as yours. But easier, and it doesn't use heat. I have no idea if it would actually work long-term, just a thought.

this one is manual and the extra stoppers are less than $2 a piece: Vacu Vin Black Wine Saver Vacuum Pump Set with 2 Stoppers

bobbybilly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Chicago
Hi. I don't know whether the vacuum idea is a good one or bad one so I won't try to encourage or discourage it. I do have lots of experience with a few brands of vacuum sealers and trust me when it comes to vacuum sealers you do get what you pay for (I'm referring to mechanical vacuum sealers and am not commenting on the OPs way of doing it since I don't know anything about that method, it certainly beats the price of what I'm about to suggest though). By the way I have not looked at the one mentioned above so I'm not making any judgement about that one. I've tried I think it's 4 brands of vacuum sealers over the past 20 years or so and 2 were cheapy brands, one medium price point brand and the brand I always come back to is on the high end of what I'd call medium priced ones.

I use my vacuum sealer on a weekly basis and the brand I feel very comfortable recommeding to all my friends and family is the Food Saver brand. They can be either bought online or also at Walmart and Kohl's. When I was rolling my own smokes I'd store the extra tobacco (I bought it in 1 lb bags to get cheaper pricing) and I used the Food Savers canning jar attachement to vacuum out the air from the 1 quart canning jars I stored my tobacco in and the tobacco would not go stale like if it was just kept in a zip lock type bag. They are very good whether you buy one of their basic models or one of their newer flashier models. The prices for them are anywhere from approximately $130 to $285 .

If anybody does get one be forewarned if you're using them for food storage (great for keeping meats from getting freezer burnt and freezing leftovers) do not be tempted to buy bags that are cheaper from other manufacturers. Some of them will work initially, but after a short time they lose the vacuum seal and your stuff loses it's protection. Their brand bags are more expensive, but you are better off paying a couple dollars extra and getting something that will work.

Sorry about the long rambling post. I just thought if anybody was considering buying a vacuum sealer maybe they could learn from some of my mistakes in the past. Happy vaping!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread