Liqueur Flavoring Essences

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Kate brought this up on another thread. Theoretically, any of these essences should be both concentrated enough and free of undesirable additives to be useful.

Check with your local home brewing shops. While you're there you can pick up any glycerine you need in 4 and 8 ounce bottles.

Here's some online retailers:

Prestige Essence (Swedish Connections)

Brewing Made Easy At Bin Inn

Making liqueurs and cordials with essences and extracts

Liqueur Essences by BREW USA

Liqueur Essences - Smiley's Home Distilling

Brewhaus (America) Inc.- Liqueur Essences

About essences: use only essences made from natural or nature identical aromas. If it is not clearly stated of the ingredients that it is made from natural or nature identical ingredients, do not use them. If the ingredients are declared as aromas or food aromas or similar, they are probably cheap, synthetic aromas, and you do not want to know what the are made from. A manufacturer always reveals natural and nature-identical ingredients, as this is proof of quality and proof that there are no synthetic aromas used.

I'm sure this has also been discussed on here somewhere but I can't find it at the moment:

TASTY PUFF TOBACCO FLAVORING

Whatever the formulation, these at least have been pre-selected for compatibility with the flavor experience of smoking tobacco.

I remember years ago when I sprayed LorAnn Cherry flavor on my tobacco. It was so oily I had to let it dry out for days before I could smoke it because of the oily staining film it would leave on the papers. On the other hand, ordinary pure vanilla extract seemed to work modestly well. In the end, even at a very high concentration, the cherry wasn't very good (probably because it wasn't sweet) and didn't taste natural. I was similarly disappointed with a pina colada flavor. I would guess that with glycerine being slightly sweet many of the candy flavorings would have a substantially better outcome for everyone than what I had in trying to spray LorAnn flavors on loose tobacco.

In a different category, the menthol crystals really would be the only way to go. They even sell filters with the crystals embedded in them. Menthol crystals is the real deal. I've suggested for vanilla going with vanilla absolute although others seem to be satisfied with straight pure extract. I would guess a 2x or 4x extract would be better though if not using vanilla absolute. I see that LorAnn clove is a preferred choice (a mix of 1 drop per 10ml of base) so there is a good solution here too.

There's another thread dealing with the Top Note flavors for tobacco growers. I never tried those though I was aware of them at the time. The flavor selection is obviously very limited. But if they are offering cherry then I imagine (whatever the formulation is) that somehow the ones they do offer must work well for tobacco flavoring, unlike my own experiment. I concluded at the time that it wasn't clear to me what method commercial tobacco manufacturers were using to flavor their tobacco products (TOP has since introduced quite a variety), but for that purpose, LorAnn didn't work. It's possible that water soluble flavorings work better than others.

I don't think there should be any problem with the Top Note flavors. I believe that there have been concerns raised about the tobacco flavor enhancers, however.

FreshestSeeds.com Tobacco Flavoring

Tobacco Flavorings for Home Grown Tobacco

Tobacco Finishing Products for Cigarettes, Pipe, and Cigars

Last edited:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/5066-eliquid-recepies.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/2918-menthol-crystals.html

Watch out for colourings, oils and sugars, we don't know how they physically effect us or if they kill atomisers.

Do not inhale diacetyl - that's a butter flavouring that causes lung disease. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oking/2666-inhaling-flavouring-chemicals.html

Tasty Puff tobacco flavours do not taste good apparently and might contain undesirable ingredients.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
128743616540987035.jpg

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
I know for sure that there is no sugar.

The sizes I've seen are about .65 oz. and 20 ml. and will flavour up to 1 litre.

Here's a better link that shows the entire selection of Prestige brand essences offered on the site mentioned:

Brewhaus (America) Inc.- Prestige Essences

Prestige Essences - Manufacturer Description

We supply essence for everything from liquors like gin, rum, aquavit and whiskey, to fine liqueurs, bitters, semi bitters, fruit vodkas and candy shots. We produce over 200 different essences from stock.

An essence is not a flavor! A flavor is a simple and crude product compared to an essence. Prestige™ essences contain different natural (sometimes nature-identical) flavors but, in addition, have extracts of natural oils, herbs, oak, etc.

A flavor is simply a flavor, an ingredient. Flavors are often synthetic - we use no synthetic flavor at all in our products - and never will. Essences cost more than flavors - but you get a product that often is 20 times better.

Last edited:

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Hasn't ANYONE tried the liqueur flavoring essences yet?

I am guessing they are so much better tasting and of better quality than the candy flavors. You don't need to wait and can pick up samples to try at your local brew shop. I'll bet they taste just like the real thing and should be compared to this other line of Natures Flavors.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/5894-liquid-diyers.html

I for one would certainly look forward to any reports and comparisons.

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
I find these liqueur flavors very intriguing.
but I don't find anything about the ingredients... anybody have any idea?

All I saw was add sugar then mix with Vodka or whatever. Sugar will kill an atomizer but maybe the glycerine is sweet enough? I'll have to leave this trial to liqueur fans.

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
Hasn't ANYONE tried the liqueur flavoring essences yet?

I am guessing they are so much better tasting and of better quality than the candy flavors. You don't need to wait and can pick up samples to try at your local brew shop. I'll bet they taste just like the real thing and should be compared to this other line of Natures Flavors.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/5894-liquid-diyers.html

I for one would certainly look forward to any reports and comparisons.

We are all waiting for your report on them! I can't find an ingredients listing which has stopped me from trying them...

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
There is no sugar in these. You would add your own sugar or glycerine to make a liqueur.

There is no alcohol in these. You would add your own alcohol to make a liqueur.

These are pure natural flavoring ESSENCES comprised of all natural flavors and nature identical flavors and so suitable for our purposes.

If anyone has tried a liqueur then you know that these are the real deal -- not candy flavors. You would never try to make a liqueur out of candy oils it would taste sickening.

http://www.brewhaus.com/Prestige_Essences_s/1.htm

We supply essence for everything from liquors like gin, rum, aquavit and whiskey, to fine liqueurs, bitters, semi bitters, fruit vodkas and candy shots. We produce over 200 different essences from stock.

An essence is not a flavor! A flavor is a simple and crude product compared to an essence. Prestige™ essences contain different natural (sometimes nature-identical) flavors.

A flavor is simply a flavor, an ingredient. Flavors are often synthetic - we use no synthetic flavor at all in our products - and never will. Essences cost more than flavors - but you get a product that often is 20 times better.

Last edited:

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
Essences from Brewhaus

An essence is not a flavor! A flavor is a simple and crude product compared to an essence. Prestige™ essences contain different natural (sometimes nature-identical) flavors.

My problem is that I'm not convinced that this means they have no artificial colorings or other additives besides the flavor essence...

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Most of the ones I've seen are light in color, this in itself argues against the use of artificial colorants. There may be some additives in certain of the products you probably would not want, such as oak flavoring. But these are only in the ones that are designed for hard alcohol (distilled spirits) and these kinds of additional flavoring essences only apply to whiskey, rum, bourbon etc. to approximate the tastes that derive from bulk aging in oak casks for example. Those aren't the ones to use, necessarily. While an inquiry could be made concerning the possible use of artificial colorings, it would just show our ignorance for several reasons. Any extract that is not light in color would likely contain natural colorants because they would be a byproduct of manufacture and therefore there would not be any need to add any artificial colorings. Where they pledge to use only natural and nature identical ingredients you can be assured without reservation by this one fact alone that there are no artificial colorings. We already know there are no artificial flavorings. If there are any natural colorings added in, which I doubt, then that's just a bonus. These are really just about the most powerful antioxidants available and totally the best thing you could get but most would be too expensive and rare to food manufacture to be a likely possibility.

Personally, I think everybody can relax a good deal with regard to concerns about diacetyl. Diacetyl is an ARTIFICIAL flavoring agent and is ONLY used as BUTTER FLAVORING. It is harmless when consumed and not inhaled. It is never going to find its way into any product that is not explicity "buttery" flavored and intended for consumption. In flavor concentrates the only conceivable variety I could envision it being used in is one that said "Buttery Flavor." The only way any consumers are likely to inhale diacetyl, or have ever been known to inhale it (in any significant quantity) is through the vapor produced by popping microwave popcorn or by using butter flavored cooking spray. There is only one single case in the whole wide world of a person who suffered lung damage as a result of it and who did not work in a manufacturing plant that made microwave popcorn. He was an individual who religiously ate three bags of microwave popcorn every single day for 10 years.

The bottom line is that there is nothing artificial in these essences -- neither artificial flavors, nor artificial colors. Flavors are often synthetic, ESSENCES are by definition the flavorful and aromatic "quintessence" extracted from edible plant products such as flowers and fruits using a variety of extraction techniques including steam distillation, CO2 extraction and solvent extraction leaving only the purest natural concentrated essence of flavor and aroma and which may include multiple flavor and aromatic properties which are captured during various extraction phases. Combined, representing the most wonderful and realistic combination of flavors and aromas available in a concentrated form. Just like the real thing. That's why when you dilute them down and use them to make liqueurs they taste like the real thing. They wouldn't sell these products for that purpose if it weren't true. People would just make their own liqueurs themselves by natural methods if these essences weren't available and if they didn't produce the same result.

They do cost a little more than a lot of typical flavor products like those used in baking and candy making. But like many products used in the home manufacture of these potable alcoholic beverages concoctions they are still quite reasonably priced. Part of this is due to the market forces which influence cost factors. When you consider the work and time involved, making products available for the do it yourselfer, even for enthusiasts of the hobby, requires that it remains an affordable and attractive alternative to the cost and convenience of buying the same products premade, in attractive packaging and instantly available in a wide variety at a convenient local store. If it cost twice as much to make the same beer at home (a very time consuming process) than to pick up a 12 pack at the Kwik-E-Mart, then the home brew market wouldn't enjoy the business it does and there would be far fewer hobbyists. True, some hobbyists spend more for their home brew than store bought but they're getting a far superior product than what they can buy anywhere.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
To be honest with you, as someone new to e-smoking, I've already spent about $175.00 this month out of a fairly limited budget. My next purchase will be vanillin crystals at one of the local Greek markets if available or I may need to purchase it off the web. I would also like to begin stockpiling.

My greatest hope is that there are those on here who have been using other alternatives like the LoRann candy oils and who aren't overly impressed with these "jolly rancher" type flavors who is willing to purchase some of these essences. Where there may be comparable flavor options to ones they've already tried in the candy oil form I feel they can best conduct a comparison and offer us a descriptive first-hand account of their impressions concerning the differences between the two. I feel that others who are in such a position are far better qualified than myself at this point to relate whether these essences may offer us a distinctive and desirable alternative to candy oil flavorings.

Last edited:

Ramblin

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Columbia, Missouri
I don't know if it was the browser I was using, but there was only one option on the pull down menu that said "This is a business". Why they would have a pull down menu for this unless there was another option for residential to calculate shipping costs.:confused: Firefox browser did not show any pull down option. Parcel Post shipping was under $5.00 and UPS shipping was $6.58.

UP Brandy DeLuxe Essence $2.69
Amaretto Essence $2.19
Chocolate Liqueur Essence $2.19
Coffee and Brandy Essence $2.19

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
I'm glad you're brave enough to give them a try! I only use Firefox so I can't say about the drop down box. I believe UPS introduced a policy years ago that added a surcharge for residences and I don't know if that is still current policy. I always go with the post office where I can. When I worked for UPS Account Services I had a supervisor once say, as though talking to a customer: "We don't break your packages. We have machines that'll do that for ya!"

I thought I'd re-post the full list of the online vendors I found earlier because there are actually a couple of brands other than Prestige with their own unique flavors. You can probably find more options online than those in stock at your local brew shop. If you look them all over, you may find some that are more appropriate to your taste than otherwise. I expect a number of them are NOT appropriate to the purposes of many people, but I think there's something on here for everyone. You may never know if you're going to like one unless you give it a try.

http://prestigeessence.co.uk/flavours.html (http://www.swedishconnections.co.uk/)

Brewing Made Easy At Bin Inn

Making liqueurs and cordials with essences and extracts

Liqueur Essences by BREW USA

Liqueur Essences - Smiley's Home Distilling

Essences from Brewhaus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread