Not open for further replies.

highc1157

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Arizona
i have
LG 18650HE2 2500mah and
Sony US18650VTC3 1600 mah batteries

from what I know, the LG has a continuous discharge of 20amps, but this chart contradicts it.

Also, the sony VTC3 is , from what I hear, 30amp continuous discharge rating, and the chart contradicts it also.

I want to know what the safe sub-ohm limit is for both these batteries when they're fully charged (4.2V), in order to account for the maximum since that's all I need to be concerned about.

Lets say I build a 0.3ohm coil setup (for theoretical purposes, in general, i like between .35 and .6ohm builds) , that means i would have an amp draw of 14 amps. That's safe for the VTC3 and the LG, from what I know, by allowing for some leeway between the max calculated amp draw and the batteries limits.

is this safe?

here's the chart link :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0dSc01mUkl6RXNnM2o2R1E&usp=docslist_api#gid=0

xibxang

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Scotland
My understanding is that these charts are all but outdated now. The "safe ohms" column at least. I could be way off here, but I think I read on this here good forum that these charts were made before drippers and rebuildables became a thing. If you get to know your P=IV and V=IR formulae and what they mean in real terms then they'll serve you far better.

But to answer your question: yes, your 0.3 ohm coil would indeed draw a theoretical 14 amps which is way below the 30 amp "limit". This also depends on how accurately calibrated your ohms meter is too. And then there's the age of your batteries. And how well constructed your mech or VV device is. And humidity. And if it's before the last Tuesday of the month. And whether you were a Nintendo or Sega fan as a child.

I kid, but there are a wide range of variables past your battery and ohms reader. It's all down to how you feel yourself. I'm a member of the Juice Junkies Facebook group and I'd say at least 30% of its members vape well below 0.1 ohms and have been doing so for a considerable amount of time. Personally, I'm beginning to have my doubts about this legendary exploding battery bogieman although in no way am I trying to convince anyone else of my suspicions or beliefs. In fact, I talked myself down from a 0.15 ohm parallel coil build just last week in the name of battery safety but I figure that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Strictly in the name of perpetuating conversation, I would point you to this YouTube video and ask you to take from it what you will:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i have
LG 18650HE2 2500mah and

from what I know, the LG has a continuous discharge of 20amps, but this chart contradicts it.

Also, the sony VTC3 is , from what I hear, 30amp continuous discharge rating, and the chart contradicts it also.

I want to know what the safe sub-ohm limit is for both these batteries when they're fully charged (4.2V), in order to account for the maximum since that's all I need to be concerned about.

Lets say I build a 0.3ohm coil setup (for theoretical purposes, in general, i like between .35 and .6ohm builds) , that means i would have an amp draw of 14 amps. That's safe for the VTC3 and the LG, from what I know, by allowing for some leeway between the max calculated amp draw and the batteries limits.

is this safe?

here's the chart link :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0dSc01mUkl6RXNnM2o2R1E&usp=docslist_api#gid=0

Column 'B' in that chart has the continuous discharge ratings and they are 20A and 30A. I think you may have been looking at column 'C'.

Yes, 14A is correct for 0.3 ohms and is safe for both of these batteries.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The above chart has a lot of incorrect information. I spent a lot of time making my own list of batteries and their specs. It's been double checked by PBusardo and is posted on his Taste Your Juice website.

Battery manufacturers are not often offering the information we need to be found easily. Some even over-rate their battery specifications or mislabel the pulse & continuous rating (Efest).

Heck, most battery manufacturers don't even approve of us using their batteries for the application that we use them in APV's. They were not designed to be used singly, they were designed to be used in multiples in battery packs with protection circuits for other applications. Our use of these batteries in APV's are at our own risk.

Battery Basics for Mods

Last edited:

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
Most vapers have little more than an Ohm meter. I have only seen one reviewer post something about how many volts they actually put out.

Boeing has a bunch of smart engineers and a lot of equipment. They probably spend a while talking to manufacturers and testing stuff. Then they come out with their new airplane, that cost hundreds of millions. Then all of the new planes were grounded because the Li battery packs caught fire.

If Boeing did not get it right what hope does some guy in his basement have?

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
i have
LG 18650HE2 2500mah and

is this safe?

here's the chart link :

As far as ohms law goes, yes. You are within the limits of either battery.

But,

At .3, how accurate is your ohm meter?

.25 is a big difference. real close to 17A @ 4.2v
.22? 19A
.21? 20A

I trust my Fluke. It's a Fluke 289 and recently calibrated.

My Chinese black box is not as accurate that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread