Just saw British flavor ban -again, masquerading as disposable ban

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
My BBC feed just said there is a disposable ban,upcoming. It was vague as to whether it was merely proposed or going into effect.
but deep in the language there is a flavor ban too, as well as some other stuff I don’t especially mind (possibly used as cover) It’s asinine as well as evil. A disposable ban I can understand, but a flavor ban is pointless and stupid. It DOES NOT BENEFIT ANYONE BUT THE BIG CIGARETTE COMPANIES. They have always hated e-cigarettes. They have wanted to take control of that market for 10 years, and this is going to do it. LOOK AT WHO OWNS THE ONLY FLAVORS THAT ARE GOING TO BE “LEGAL”Sneaking evil stuff in behind something that makes sense is still evil.

Last edited:

Tor R

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    Now the ban applies to disposables, and not flavours.
    Flavors will appear for a hearing around the summer holidays

PS, there is very little influence the tobacco companies have in the UK, completely different compared to the US where they have full control

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Well the article said I applied to disposables but it allowed flavors at discretion. It was a vague area. It didn’t say which flavors other than something vague about children. There was also some packaging stuff iirc. I didn’t read the law I read a news article about the law. It had this headline about one thing, and as an aside there was this much bigger thing. One of those “we aren’t saying or necessarily doing, but we have the power to do it later if we wish—which we undoubtedly will” kind of things

Reactions: Falconeer

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    Well the article said I applied to disposables but it allowed flavors at discretion. It was a vague area. It didn’t say which flavors other than something vague about children. There was also some packaging stuff iirc. I didn’t read the law I read a news article about the law. It had this headline about one thing, and as an aside there was this much bigger thing. One of those “we aren’t saying or necessarily doing, but we have the power to do it later if we wish—which we undoubtedly will” kind of things
    What the newspaper article says is that flavor will be up for discussion around the summer, the British will have a written consultation where the users can provide input. Later in the autumn, the government will make a decision regarding flavours.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Now the ban applies to disposables, and not flavours.
    Flavors will appear for a hearing around the summer holidays

PS, there is very little influence the tobacco companies have in the UK, completely different compared to the US where they have full control
    The biggest distributor that out-and-out bought r.j. Reynolds is a British company. They have money coming out the bozonga. I wouldn’t count on it. If there’s going to be a hearing, about it that just speaks to HOW it is going to be done.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    What the newspaper article says is that flavor will be up for discussion around the summer, the British will have a written consultation where the users can provide input. Later in the autumn, the government will make a decision regarding flavours.
    Well that’s a relief. The BBC thing I saw made it sound like it was a done deal. The question is lS it a done deal though and it’s a “how are we going to change it?” rather than “are we deciding to make changing it legal?” Thing? The advantage of making disposables illegal is one makes vapes expensive and hard to hide. This makes confiscation more effective on several fronts. One issue is pod systems likely need to be looked at too because it’s pretty easy to make a disposable a pod. If a pod system is the same size and sells for the same amount as a disposable, you’ve got people loopholing. Minimum size needs to be looked at too because if it’s easy to make them smaller and easier to hide that’s likely to happen.

Just thinking for a minute or two I have an example. Possibly not a very good one, and someone may think up something clever, but design a mech pod (most pods are mechs they used to be) squonker with a couple of 2322 3v batteries in it. Horribly inefficient to keep using, but if you’re expecting to have it taken it could be built cheap. And small.

Last edited:

dansus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    The fix is in, recent update to the consultation shows they will do whatever it takes to pass legislation that will not only ban flavours, but also non nicotine 'vapes' too. ie longfills, shortfills, bottleshots, and anything else they think of.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The disposable ban here in the UK looks like it will be implemented by the end of the year/early next year. Along with this they are looking at a flavour restriction down to Tobacco, Menthol and some Fruit flavours.
    A petition has been started to stop the flavour ban so we hope it will gather enough momentum for the government to listen to what the people say.

dansus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Along with this they are looking at a flavour restriction down to Tobacco, Menthol and some Fruit flavours.
    A petition has been started to stop the flavour ban so we hope it will gather enough momentum for the government to listen to what the people say.
    Reading between the lines, they want tobacco and menthol only. Fruit is given lip service because more people by a slim margin indicated there should be a fruit flavour, but this notion will be exorcised from the record as soon as the new consultation is done.

About as much hope a petition preventing this lot from going ahead as planned, as it would at raising the dead.

There are two possible spanners in the works, one is legal action, but that will only delay things. Two, Labour win the election and are too busy trying to fix the mess, to be bothering with vape flavours. Given the shadow health secretary's views on vaping, and his desire to move it into a prescription only model like Australia, that seems unlikely.

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Banningflavors wont do much though. Kids smoked cigarettes long before there even were ecigs. Also the big new thing IS menthol stuff. This whole “candy based flavors attract children” thing is
    bS. Not only is it totally unscientific, but it does not even pass the smell test. At that point unflavored is actually better. It doesn’t taste as nasty and it cuts out the tobacco companies. Analog flavored ecigs are only useful to people who smoked analogs, or for trying to move people from ecigs TO analogs. Which are vastly MORE harmful. Flavor reduction to just cigarette flavors shoots harm reduction in the face.

dansus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Banning flavors won't do much though. Kids smoked cigarettes long before there even were ecigs.
    Kids will be fine, they can get whatever they need from under the counter and tiktok. Most experienced vapers will be ok, they have their informal networks. I will be good, i have made my own juice for years, i don't even vape nic anymore.

It's the adult smokers that will be hit the hardest, they won't have the variety, availability, support and most importantly, the pleasure that is a major part of vapings effectiveness.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    The problem is that politicians make rash decisions without seeing the big picture.

If it still became legal with one shot, base, nic, that those are the three bottles we get in the future, that we have to put them all together and shake, it's complicated enough, at the same time the simplicity is completely taken away, we could live with something like this system.

What we cannot live with is a flavor ban, with a flavor ban most of the shops and chains disappear.
    And vaping is not so dangerous that it has to happen

Users who are viewing this thread