Homemade 5V UBS Pass through Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Help me. I'm trying to make a pass through cus you know.. I'm cheap and I like the challenge (that's the same thing my wife said she liked about me)

Making a passthrouh is super easy. In case you don't know I'll run down the basics.

( Basics for noobs first then My question and problem down below)

You need One busted USB mouse or other busted USB toy. Cut mouse off of cord and throw mouse away. Make your cut close to the mouse as possible because you will want a long cord for this.

Expose the red and black wires on the end you just cut and strip em.

If you have a switch ( recommended) you can put the switch in the line here. One wire will go through the switch and the other will carry on to your atty connector. Most people break the black (negative) wire , meaning they use it for the switch and carry the red wire on to the atty connector, but for only 5 volts and no amps to speak of it should not matter. Most people use a DEAD battery for the connector and rip off the end with the threads with pliers. Wear gloves to do this! I don't know what all is inside a dry cell but i don't wanna get it on me, you shouldn't either.

This threaded piece is going to be the connector to your atty. solder the black wire from the other side of your switch to the inside body of this threaded piece. Solder the red positive wire to the middle of the inside of this threaded piece.

That's it, your done. Thread your atty onto this battery connector nd plug the USB cable in. Hit your switch much like you do your Manual switch and poof. instant 5v USB power to power your atty coil.

There are videos all over you tube showing how to do this. They seem to all say the e-cig gives you better more heavier vapor. ( you can also put an LED with resistor in the line after the switch between the switch and the att5y connector. if you want a little light when your switch is activated)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Problem: didn't have a dead battery so I fashioned a make shift connector out of an old tiny flashlight. It looks like crap but it works - sort of.. I know I'm getting power to the atty and I can vape, BUT instead of getting twice the amount of vapor like all the you tube videos show, I am only getting half the vapor.

Any ideas why this could be?

Last edited:

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Found out the problem. I needed a better power supply. I am now using an old power supply from a 2Wire modem/router. The output is 5.1 volts with 2.2 amps. Vapes Great! I had to drop the USB connector with this and wire it directly but that's no problem because I have an inline switch. If anyone makes one, just be sure you have at least 5 volt 2 amp power supply. ( don't go too much over this unless you have atty's to burn. Higher voltage/amps may fry your atty. As it is, don't leave the atty on for more than 5 seconds. Use an old atty you don't care about)

I replaced the jury rigged atty connector with one from a 510 battery. I got the free dead battery from a mall vendor, Er.. I also got a few other dead batteries so I can make more pass throughs and a few 501 atty's he thought was dead. Turned out 2 still worked fine, they only needed a good cleaning. LOL Free stuff. That Rocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread