Easiest solutions for VG? 12GA Needles? Volume? Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmaring

Feb 11, 2014
MO, USA
I've been using 14GA needles with 20ml syringes, the plunger is SO hard to pull and fills very slowly. Been looking for 12GA needles but the seem few and far between. I'm looking into getting bottles for measuring by volume any recommendations? Also for weight what kind of scales are you using? 500+ grams and .01g I assume would be needed? Thanks I am somewhat new to DIY

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
I use 10ml disposable pipettes (and reuse them) I pipette by mouth, but they have a nifty thumbwheel thing you can stick on the end that works well (we have them at work) I will probably get one when I have to do more DIY I haven't done much yet. I'm thinking setting the vg someplace warm for a while might help too as it's thick to pipette too.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I use clear condiment bottles I get from amazon work great for vg/pg, and a 500g scale with 0.01g

If you go this route find the ones with an screw on cover for the spout. I found out the ones with the red push on cover, it gets lost or cracked and then you are without a cover should your pg tip over. Also don't forget to change your recipes to from volume to weight when you go to a scale.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've been using 14GA needles with 20ml syringes, the plunger is SO hard to pull and fills very slowly. Been looking for 12GA needles but the seem few and far between. I'm looking into getting bottles for measuring by volume any recommendations? Also for weight what kind of scales are you using? 500+ grams and .01g I assume would be needed? Thanks I am somewhat new to DIY

I take it you are having trouble with Non-Diluted VG.

12 Gauge Blunt Luer Lock Needles are kinda hard to find. Here are a couple of sources.

12g Stainless Steel Blunt Tip Luer Lock Needles

https://www.amazon.com/12-Pack-Dispensing-Needle-Stainless/dp/B01LM8LUCA

Reactions: bsidb

*RJ*

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2015
Vaping since 8/9/2012
I use 8 gauge for my VG. You can find them here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LM8LTTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a lot of options for the scales. Let me go look for what a lot of mixers use in the DIY threads.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
@jdmaring
Almost from my very start of vaping my DIY's have been VG Heavy. So I have probably been down every rabbit hole when it comes to dealing with VG's viscosity. Hypo's, pipettes and similar were especially obnoxious when I made batches of DIY that were larger than 30ml. When I went from way larger batches (up to 1000ml) to 120ml standard batches and mixing by weight, the time to do so became no fuss/no muss and very short in comparison. And I switched to a no fuss magnetic stir plate to mix them. With almost no equipment to cleanup was also a bonus.

So for a long time I have mixed by weight, and used various squeezable bottles that have types of caps that let me control down to as little as 1 drop at a time yet still be able to do a steady flow until approaching the one drop at a time. I prefer caps that can be opened and closed. There are a few types that will (flip spout, twist top, pull/push, flip top, etc). For my mixing I used 120ml bottles for both the VG and PG. I also adapt my flavor concentrate bottles (except the glass ones) when in use with luer lock, flip spout or twist top caps to be squeeze/drip as well.

For scales I used a Horizon SF-400D for the bulk of my mixing (battery, USB or 120V powered), and an AWS Pocket Blade Scale for when I made very small test batches (both 0.01g).

SF400D-1.jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg
My magnetic stir plate...
stirplate160812.jpg

Edit to add... I found a picture of cap types.
plastic-bottle-cap.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread