Dangers of Running with No Battery Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
Last week I toasted my battery spring with a carto short (screwed down the telescope too tight). I ordered a couple of springs from Bruce right away, but I've been running without a spring for the last few days. I noticed right away that the GGTS hits harder without the spring in it - I thought maybe my spring was just old/dirty.

Got my brand new springs in today, installed one - sure enough, doesn't hit as well as it does without the spring. Also, with the spring in, I'm afraid of over-tightening again. Without the spring, it's much easier to tell when it's 'just tight enough', if you know what I mean.

So, what are the risks of running without a spring? I'm using AW IMR batteries, and always will.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Last week I toasted my battery spring with a carto short (screwed down the telescope too tight). I ordered a couple of springs from Bruce right away, but I've been running without a spring for the last few days. I noticed right away that the GGTS hits harder without the spring in it - I thought maybe my spring was just old/dirty.

Got my brand new springs in today, installed one - sure enough, doesn't hit as well as it does without the spring. Also, with the spring in, I'm afraid of over-tightening again. Without the spring, it's much easier to tell when it's 'just tight enough', if you know what I mean.

So, what are the risks of running without a spring? I'm using AW IMR batteries, and always will.

The spring can act almost like a fuse for short protection. With the spring if the battery overheats and the spring overheats it collapses which should close the circuit.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
Yeah, I know that Fright, it's exactly what happened to my spring when I shorted the carto. :)

My question is, what do I risk if I run without the battery? Will it xplod??

I would assume that if I get another short - it's pretty obvious when it happens, what with the button heating up to something close to the surface of the sun - that if I just let off the button everything would be just fine, right????

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Since you asked formally, you have to get a formal answer! :laugh: Seriously, without the spring in place, you have one less "protection" in the event of thermal runaway for another chemical reaction. The bottom cap is vented so you still have that in place but to be blunt, I have seen lithium ions go into thermal runaway and I simply wont take the chance. The IMR's are "safer" chemistry than Lithium Ions but they are just that, safe-ER.

Even the venting process, if it got to that stage, would not be pretty but should help prevent your GG from becoming what some mod makers are still selling: a pipe bomb. What is being vented though is hot gasses that I wouldn't want to be exposed to but it is much better than picking the serial number out of your teeth.

It can always become a "worst case" scenario when discussing things like this and makers of devices have to tell you that. It's just the world we live in. I also view it from the perspective that the spring collapse you had happen means the design Imeo made worked. By leaving it as is, you are defeating a safety measure.

Does it hit better? Heck yeah. Is it as "safe"? no it is not. Have I done it? Yes I have. Sorry for the diatribe but when someone asks what could happen if they bypass a safety design feature, if you aren't given the blunt truth, then the maker is potentially liable. Hope that makes some sense but in the end, you have to take the safety measures you are comfortable with.

You can go too far and just say to heck with it, it's not worth it but the same could be said of driving a care or taking a prescribed medication. At the end of the day, we make the best informed decision we can and move along. Those that can't wind up in a facility with pink rooms and padded walls. :)

Last edited:

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
Since you asked formally, you have to get a formal answer! :laugh: Seriously, without the spring in place, you have one less "protection" in the event of thermal runaway for another chemical reaction. The bottom cap is vented so you still have that in place but to be blunt, I have seen lithium ions go into thermal runaway and I simply wont take the chance. The IMR's are "safer" chemistry than Lithium Ions but they are just that, safe-ER.

Even the venting process, if it got to that stage, would not be pretty but should help prevent your GG from becoming what some mod makers are still selling: a pipe bomb. What is being vented though is hot gasses that I wouldn't want to be exposed to but it is much better than picking the serial number out of your teeth.

It can always become a "worst case" scenario when discussing things like this and makers of devices have to tell you that. It's just the world we live in. I also view it from the perspective that the spring collapse you had happen means the design Imeo made worked. By leaving it as is, you are defeating a safety measure.

Does it hit better? Heck yeah. Is it as "safe"? no it is not. Have I done it? Yes I have. Sorry for the diatribe but when someone asks what could happen if they bypass a safety design feature, if you aren't given the blunt truth, then the maker is potentially liable. Hope that makes some sense but in the end, you have to take the safety measures you are comfortable with.

You can go too far and just say to heck with it, it's not worth it but the same could be said of driving a care or taking a prescribed medication. At the end of the day, we make the best informed decision we can and move along. Those that can't wind up in a facility with pink rooms and padded walls. :)

Well, I'm 48 yrs old, not in the shape I used to be, don't heal nearly as fast, and still ride dirt bikes...in the woods...alone. I guess I still like to take chances. Screw it, I'm going spring-less!

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Well, I'm 48 yrs old, not in the shape I used to be, don't heal nearly as fast, and still ride dirt bikes...in the woods...alone. I guess I still like to take chances. Screw it, I'm going spring-less!

More power to you my friend. :) While it is for forum purposes only, being formally associated with the supplier makes some things required to be said. It's not so much that something bad will happen. It's the fact though when someone does ask, you can't be negligent and not tell them.

I'm 57 and know what you mean about it from that perspective as well. I spent 27 years working for federal agencies, mostly in non-uniformed status so living it close to the vest isn't in my blood either. It is a sad fact of life in the 21st century though that you have to cover your assets on anything that can potentially cause a problem, no matter how remote.

I'm sure that eGo knock-off going thermal on me didn't help my outlook on it either! :laugh: BUt as previously stated, that can happen on almost any activity we engage in. You have to take the precautions you feel most comfortable with balancing that against living inside a box. I do miss my dirt bike though now you mention it but they don't let me drive at all anymore.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO

Thanks you said exactly what I would have said if I could have figgured out how to say it :D

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Para has send me a mod that made by himself and I can easily meassure the battery under load. I measuure the GGTS under load with and without spring. 3,7 without spring and 3,3 with spring. 0,4 volt was a very high loss. But then I sand a little the spring and I had the same results.

The good thing with GGTS is that spring is pushed much more than all the other mods because of its telescope. That means the best contactivity we can have without any loss.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
I didn't have any sandpaper laying around here at work, but I do have one of those green scratchy pads. I buffed all the outer surfaces of the spring with said pad, the spring was much more shiny after - HOLY COW! What a difference!

You should put this hint somewhere where people will see it - the Wiki, a sticky post - I'm back to using the spring now, can't tell the difference with or without spring after this 'spring polishing'. Thanks Imeo!

jkoppk

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
hanover,PA.
I went to using no spring for about a week because I noticed it gave me a better vape until I ended up getting hurt.I was vaping with a freshly charged AW IMR18650 battery.I guess from over tightening the tube several times the bottom of the atty got pushed up and it shorted on me.For about 2-3 seconds the battery put out all the current it could causing the button to get so hot it became discolored.I wasn't expecting this or paying attention so now my pinky has a big blister on it because I didn't want to drop and damage my SS GGTS and UFSv2 so I held on to it.Needless to say I am back to using a spring now and had to replace the small spring in the button because it melted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread