Buffalo NY bans vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

abstractboro

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
It is now illegal in Buffalo to use electronic cigarettes in any venue where the city bans smoking traditional tobacco cigarettes.“This does not outlaw e-cigarettes,” Council President Darius G. Pridgen said after the Common Council on Tuesday unanimously adopted the new regulations Mayor Byron W. Brown quickly signed the legislation.
The new rules strictly mirror the city’s existing tobacco law on where you cannot vape, said Pridgen who sponsored the legislation.
Buffalo becomes the first community in Erie County to regulate e-cigarettes, which are regulated in some other cities across the country, including New York City and Chicago. Erie County is considering similar restrictions for the entire county.
The city rules take effect immediately. Electronic cigarettes are now banned in the city on public transportation, in public elevators, in city-owned and leased buildings, and many large retail and wholesale businesses.
The ban also includes city schools, with exemptions made for adults using faculty rooms or other designated areas.
The new Buffalo rules also reinforce an existing state law making it illegal to sell electronic cigarettes to anyone under the age of 18 years old.

E-cigarette ban mirrors regulation on tobacco - City & Region - The Buffalo News

I'm not very happy about this. Does this mean I can't even vape in the vape shop???

abstractboro

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I know cigar stores pay for a license to be a tobacco smoking lounge, and those permits aren't cheap. this kind of bothers me because it's one step closer to regulation as a tobacco product which it is not. If this catches on it'll be a matter of time before it becomes big tobaccos game and taxes go through the roof

I was just in HOV kenmore a bit ago, it's only the city of Buffalo, so if you're in kenmore, amherst, tonawanda, nothings changed. I help run a store on Hertel and apparently can't vape here anymore... $500 fine for vaping in public places.

They passed it at 2 pm yesterday.

TomGeorge

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Buffalo/Rochester
I know cigar stores pay for a license to be a tobacco smoking lounge, and those permits aren't cheap. this kind of bothers me because it's one step closer to regulation as a tobacco product which it is not. If this catches on it'll be a matter of time before it becomes big tobaccos game and taxes go through the roof

I was just in HOV kenmore a bit ago, it's only the city of Buffalo, so if you're in kenmore, amherst, tonawanda, nothings changed. I help run a store on Hertel and apparently can't vape here anymore... $500 fine for vaping in public places.

They passed it at 2 pm yesterday.

That is slightly relieving, I dont spend much time in the city anyways but it is not a good development for us vapers....

Of topic, but while you were in HOV did you notice if they had the Goblin by UD? its an RTA

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
The real problem is most people do NOT understand the difference between smoking and vaping.....truly sad.

If this trend continues, they never will. Obama, is adding a 94% tax hike on all tobacco in his budget proposal including ..... non combustibles, (ecigs) ... Federal Tax.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
If this trend continues, they never will. Obama, is adding a 94% tax hike on all tobacco in his budget proposal including ..... non combustibles, (ecigs) ... Federal Tax.

You know, if all smokers and vapers united and let it be know that enough is enough and they'd vote against anyone the supported any additional taxes on "tobacco products", it would come to an end and they'd have to find other sources to fill their coffers. Assuming that 26% of the population would fall into the classification of "tobacco user" and half were Dems and half Repubs, you're talking about a swing of 13% of the vote. That should be enough to swing most elections Heck, it's considered a landslide at 55% of the vote. Politicians would be terrified after one election.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You know, if all smokers and vapers united and let it be know that enough is enough and they'd vote against anyone the supported any additional taxes on "tobacco products", it would come to an end and they'd have to find other sources to fill their coffers. Assuming that 26% of the population would fall into the classification of "tobacco user" and half were Dems and half Repubs, you're talking about a swing of 13% of the vote. That should be enough to swing most elections Heck, it's considered a landslide at 55% of the vote. Politicians would be terrified after one election.
And just think if we got our friends, family, and even some co-workers to support us.
I have no doubt we are a powerful force, as long as we just try.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador

I ordered two 55 gallon drums of nicotine.....I'll be making my own juice.

Like tobacco being taxed to death, soon liquid nicotine will be to.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I ordered two 55 gallon drums of nicotine.....I'll be making my own juice.

Like tobacco being taxed to death, soon liquid nicotine will be to.

I hope you plan on sharing. I don't know how old you are but 110 gallons should last a few lifetimes unless it goes bad first.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

I would really like to believe this is true, but I have a hard time crunching the numbers (votes) in our current partisan environment. How do you get a registered party voter to vote for the other major party when they basically only disagree with their own party on one issue? I'm not talking about the moderates from each party, but rather those that reside further left or right on most ideological points and refuse to address individual issues.

Maybe I'm just getting jaded on the potential of people to be free thinkers due to all the battles I've been having in the comments section of e-cig op-ed and junk science articles. Some days it's harder to be optimistic than others.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO

Would be interested in the source of the information that e cigarettes would be included. Couple of pages of Google fu and I couldn't find a source.

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
God I HATE!!!!!! NY you can't have or do anything any more with out the state having there hand and (insert sarcasam) infinite wisdom involved.

And just think everyone that lives there pays them to do it to them. Yet they don't seem to care. Some people actually think the government is the answer to all issues and are more than willing to let them rake everyone over the tax coals to pay for it. Even though you can't point to a single government project that was ever finished on time, on budget AND actually accomplished what it set out to do. If you can find any the % of the whole would be a fraction of a fraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread