Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSonic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
U.S.A.
Hey guys, I'm hoping that I am able to gather some insightful information on the following:

I'm doing a little more battery homework....

For someone familiar with the following batteries that has used them before or is currently still using them:

I've searched the web, and some electronics and battery forums but only finding some information in bits and pieces...

Not exactly all the information I need. I've had this post in another forum thread but I guess it just got lost in tape there, so I decided to shop it elsewhere as a leader thread.

I'm doing a comparison of these 4 batteries below:

AW IC 18650 2600 mAh (Black Label)
AW IC 18650 2600 mAh Power Batteries

AW IC 18650 2900 mAh (Black Label)
AW IC 18650 2900 mAh Power Batteries

AW IMR 18650 1600 mAh (Red Label)
AW IMR 18650 3.7v 1600mAh High Drain Li Ion Battery

AW IMR 18650 2000 mAh (Red Label)
AW IMR 18650 3.7v 2000mAh High Drain Li Ion Battery

I was originally looking to purchase the AW IC 18650 2900 mAh or even the newer AW IC 18650 3100 mAh for a GGTS but instead decided to go with the AW IMR 2000 mAh.

Did I make a wise decision?

I do realize that the AW IC series are protected but I'm not sure if they are High Dains.... and I'm not sure if the AW IMR series are protected and I do believe they are High Drains.

The primary reason I went with the IMR over the IC was that I have seen the AW IMR batteries used in this device before and have heard relatively decent reports of the battery's performance and life span. I have also read the specs, dimensions of this battery as well.

Another reason was that I noticed that the IC had no nipple on the + side of it and a tight wrapping of it's cover only leaving a small portion (of what I was able to see from the pictures) exposed. It seemed to me that the connector pin from the GGTS would not seat well and make a solid consistent connection. Perhaps nothing a spacer or earth magnet couldn't cure, but at the time of comparing the batteries, this was one of my concerns.

Would someone be kind enough to explain, if they are familiar, the anticipated (approximate) performance results one could imagine getting with each one of the batteries I have listed above?

In other words, which battery I would be happier with and why.

My concerns:
Quality of power and consistency throughout the drain cycle: (Usage in my mod)
How long the battery will hold its charge between charging cycles:
Life expectancy of the battery - overall battery life (approximately how many charging cycles): (I believe 500 but not sure)
Protection within the battery:

Overall I would just like to know which battery will better serve my vaping needs, which is safer and which will provide more life.

Additionally I also just purchased a Trustfire 0003P4 battery charger from COV as well.

TrustFire TR-003P4 Charger

Any comments on this charger are welcome as well.

I wasn't sure if the AW IC batteries would fit length wise.

Guestimated vaping times mild to regular use throughout the day with varying coil resistance from 1.5ohms to 2.5ohms. depending on the type of juice that I'm vaping and the mood I'm in...

I'd appreciate any and all useful input.

Thank you kindly...

Peace-

rusalka

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
USA
I personally can be your lab rat for this. I have the 2900 mah (black label) version as well as the 2000 mah (red label). The bad part is I just purchased the red labels. The 2900 I have had for the last 2 years. Been using it on my avs. No problem with output. Plenty of all day power. I will let you know on the performance of the red here in a couple of days.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Last edited:

SuperSonic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
U.S.A.
I personally can be your lab rat for this. I have the 2900 mah (black label) version as well as the 2000 mah (red label). The bad part is I just purchased the red labels. The 2900 I have had for the last 2 years. Been using it on my avs. No problem with output. Plenty of all day power. I will let you know on the performance of the red here in a couple of days.

Thanks for the response rusalka. looking forward to your comparison.

A good place to start maybe would be to read some about Batts @ Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Also some god info here = General Flashlight Discussion

If your using LR 1.5ohm your also better off with the IMR, just my own personal opinion

Thanks MWA .... yes I have visited B.U. for reference many times and have poked around some battery forums as well. Thanks for posting. Sometimes reading the information in a document / post isn't enough. It gives you the idea of what something was made to do, but it doesn't allow you a real live result as if someone actually had the experience.

Currently I'm using the AW IMR 18650 2000mAh in a non VV mod. As far as I know these IMR's are not protected, which in turn, I would imagine, will not restrict current (within tolerance) and limit flow.

However I do plan on using either the IMR or IC series (depending on my findings) in a VV / VW device. My primary concerns are that although the voltages are similar or the same 3.6 / 3.7 V, battery life is a primary as well as how each battery handles current (amperes) under a variable load.

Like, with the AW IC (Protected) will the battery go into lock down or restrict the current (amperes) under certain voltages, whether too high or low a voltage for that particular battery, not giving the proper feed to the atty in question. Whether the atty is a Dual coil 0.9ohm or a 4.0ohm single wrap coil for example.

I was looking at the new AW IC 18650 3100mAh primarily for the mAh's. The protection is good, but I have fuse protection in my mod, so the protection really isn't the primary. Also the battery life span between cycles and long term.

Generally, I build my coils (I use only a rebuildable atty) around the juices I vape. In other words I make my own juices and build the coil to suit the juice. As you would imagine, certain juices have more flavor and burn better at a certain resistance under certain voltages.... but that's another topic....

Thank for your input MWA....

Peace-

MisterCombo21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2010
Syracuse NY
Greetings! I have been trying to find out something about AW IMR's but could never get a full answer... My 2600mah AW IC's last me through the day and drop from 4.2 by about 3.8- 3.9 by the end of the day (12 to 16 hrs). Should I expect an AW IMR 2000mah to still be putting out 4.1 to 4.2 by day's end? I hate voltage drop and almost got IMR's but no one could tell me if they would last all day.
I usually use 1.7 ohm cartos on an all mechanical mod... Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Go here: Battery test-review 18650 comparator

Select your batteries, select your discharge rate (typically 2-3 amps for unregulated mods) and compare discharge curves.

Personally, for protected cell in an unregulated mod I'd go with the 2900 or 3100mAh cells from various manufactures. All the 2900/3100's in that test were Panasonic NCR cells and are capable of 2C discharge rate; 5.8a and 6.2a respectively. So as long as its from a reputable manufacturer the only difference is the price tag....ie: paying for an AW sticker. For high drain (than is not needed for anything other than a boost mod) I'd go with the Panasonic 2250mAh CGR18650CH. It's called the Orbtronics IMR18650 in the selection menu, but it is actually a new hybrid technology, not IMR.

ETA: Although high drains are not needed in most mods, it hard to argue that kinda performance for the price of a GCR18650. You'll get longer life between charges with a 2900/3100 but will typically cost $5-$10 more per cell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread