Attack of the (Kayfun Mini V3) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Tobeco does not copy the box so if it looks like the SM box, it's not a Tobeco.
Yep. You're right. I dug out my old box - I thought I had thrown it away. It does say Tobeco on it, so I guess the efun ones are not Tobeco.

@MikeE3 : Sorry, I have to retract what I said earlier about my Tobeco. I guess you're right! Guess this might be yet another bad purchase for me.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Tobeco does not copy the box so if it looks like the SM box, it's not a Tobeco.

That's what I thought KTM. I've a mind to complain to eFun about not sending what they advertised. Maybe even a PP dispute for not getting what I ordered. It's kind of the principle of the 'thing'. I'm only out ~$20 and at least have more spare o-rings and a couple tanks. It was my 1st order with them, and now my last too.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Hmmmmmmm........ I never even looked into replacing the keys! You're brilliant, KTM!!

Back in a bit when Google is done with me.......
You can't find replacement keys for all keyboards but Cherry MX switches are fairly common on mechanical keyboards and full sets of 104 are $20-$60.

That's what I thought KTM. I've a mind to complain to eFun about not sending what they advertised. Maybe even a PP dispute for not getting what I ordered. It's kind of the principle of the 'thing'. I'm only out ~$20 and at least have more spare o-rings and a couple tanks. It was my 1st order with them, and now my last too.
To be fair, the KM3 design is fairly simple and they all work very well. The FC ones I got were $17 but now about $10 and I'm very happy with them.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Yep. Last order for me too. Clearly false advertising. I am going to write to them at least. Dunno about the Paypal contest, though - never had to do that before. Let me know what you intend to do. Maybe I'll follow.

I just took a quick look at the efun clone. It does appear to at least have something close to a 2.2mm air hole at the block - the FT ones were closer to 1.8mm. The positive block is narrower than the Tobeco, so the gaps between it and the side walls are larger. It also seems a bit taller than the Tobeco's. The threads on the base are finer than the Tobeco, so I suspect that more turns will be necessary to get proper juice flow. As you mentioned, the deck screws are tiny - I doubt very much that they will hold 28 gauge wire. There are some larger screws included in the plastic packet, but the philips slots are very ill-defined, sloppy-looking and seem too large for the size of the screw heads. The positive block insulator has a lip at the back in the space between the block and the outer structure that holds the negative screw that I don't think is present in the Tobeco (not a bad idea, though). Finally, the 4 juice holes in the deck have a larger diameter. A 1.15 mm bit will fit snugly and a 1.10 bit will go all the way through the holes in the efun, while a 1.05 mm bit - the smallest I have - will not fit in the holes of the Tobeco.

Cosmetic only, but the Svomesto logos are lighter than those on the Tobeco - could be coloring over time from eliquid I guess - and the logo on the tip is considerably larger.

Honestly, I'm getting close to just buying an original and calling it a day.

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii

To be fair, the KM3 design is fairly simple and they all work very well. The FC ones I got were $17 but now about $10 and I'm very happy with them.
Thanks for that. I guess I should try these - if I can find adequate screws anyway. Maybe I can use a couple off my defective FT clones. Heh.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HJMLDU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're the same size as the o-rings that fit on most (all?) 510 drip tips but these are a bit softer and made specifically for keyboards. You'll need a key puller. I have a 3d printer so I printed a key puller :).

Keycap remover for Razer BlackWidow keyboard by 4ndreas
Thanks for the link, I'll get some for sure. My K60 comes with a key puller in the wrist rest so you can swap out the stock WASD keys.

Very Nice! Oh the things I would make with a 3D printer... :D

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Yep. Last order for me too. Clearly false advertising. I am going to write to them at least. Dunno about the Paypal contest, though - never had to do that before. Let me know what you intend to do. Maybe I'll follow.

I feel a bit dumb over 2 $9 atty's plus shipping but I just sent off a letter to eFun support. I said what I received was not what they listed for the product. I request the product I ordered or a refund. I said I prefer to get this resolved by them instead of opening a PP dispute for not getting the product I ordered/paid for. It just annoys me, if I get satisfaction fine, if not, I just chalk it up to a vendor not to use again.

Honestly, I'm getting close to just buying an original and calling it a day.

I've got my fair share of original Svoe KFLs. If the mini's turn out to be something I really like and use a bunch I'd spend for the original. Sometimes I wonder why I do it as some of my clones I can't tell from the originals. I suppose I feel the originator should get some of my money.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Thanks for the link, I'll get some for sure. My K60 comes with a key puller in the wrist rest so you can swap out the stock WASD keys.

Very Nice! Oh the things I would make with a 3D printer... :D
Weird, the K95 didn't come with WASD keys or key puller. I guess it isn't a gamer's keyboard :D. There's a bunch of o-rings on the market and they're all pretty much the same but prices are crazy. Those were the only reasonably price ones. I checked Oringsandmore.com but they don't have softer o-rings and prices weren't that much better.

I originally bought my 3d printer to print parts for my quadcopters. They've come down a lot in price and quality is better. I was all set up for under $500. Filament spools are under $30 (usually around $22). I've printed tons of stuff and it comes in very handy (like the key puller). I did print some vaping stuff like a tank holder that's extremely helpful for the KF4 when it gets stuck. I scaled one down for the KM3 but never needed it.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I feel a bit dumb over 2 $9 atty's plus shipping but I just sent off a letter to eFun support. I said what I received was not what they listed for the product. I request the product I ordered or a refund. I said I prefer to get this resolved by them instead of opening a PP dispute for not getting the product I ordered/paid for. It just annoys me, if I get satisfaction fine, if not, I just chalk it up to a vendor not to use again.

I've got my fair share of original Svoe KFLs. If the mini's turn out to be something I really like and use a bunch I'd spend for the original. Sometimes I wonder why I do it as some of my clones I can't tell from the originals. I suppose I feel the originator should get some of my money.
Me thinks we've been had. I know I ordered the Tobeco clone and that it was advertised on their site as being "Tobeco". However, I just looked back at my order and there is no mention of "Tobeco". In addition, the current listing says nothing of "Tobeco". I will still complain, but it's probably going to be an uphill battle.

Reactions: AstroTurf

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Me thinks we've been had. I know I ordered the Tobeco clone and that it was advertised on their site as being "Tobeco". However, I just looked back at my order and there is no mention of "Tobeco". In addition, the current listing says nothing of "Tobeco". I will still complain, but it's probably going to be an uphill battle.

Oh we've been had ... :yawn:. Last night when I emailed efun support I copied and pasted this from their website as part of the email>

Package:
1 x Kayfun Mini V3 by Tobeco

This morning I had a response and it said they shipped what I ordered. Did not respond at all to me saying it wasn't a Tobeco brand as listed. And sure enough like you said, this morning it's just listed as:

Package:
1 x Kayfun Mini V3

There's now also a picture of the Kayfun next to a black Svoe box. The picture was obviously taken from the Creme de Vape website as it still has their watermark behind the images.

methinks they changed the listing after getting my complaint .... they're quick and shrewd ... grrrr :mad:

Last edited:

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
FINALLY got my replacement base for the Kayfun V3 Plus 1.5 and it is worse than the defective one... :facepalm:

You are taking a real gamble if you order one, I would advise NOT TO as this product is total junk!

I have been chasing this replacement base from FT since July 6th and after 2 months I finally get to toss the whole thing it in the trash. It is just not worth the money to send back or time and effort to get working.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
FINALLY got my replacement base for the Kayfun V3 Plus 1.5 and it is worse than the defective one... :facepalm:

You are taking a real gamble if you order one, I would advise NOT TO as this product is total junk!

I have been chasing this replacement base from FT since July 6th and after 2 months I finally get to toss the whole thing it in the trash. It is just not worth the money to send back or time and effort to get working.
Sorry if you already said earlier, but what was the nature of the defect in the "original" and what was worse in the replacement?

Just curious.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Sorry if you already said earlier, but what was the nature of the defect in the "original" and what was worse in the replacement?

Just curious.
This is how much the original will shut off juice flow, the replacement won't even go that far.
You can see the light shining through after the JFC is closed.
defective-base-jpg.579305

Seems to me that there might have been a problem with the chimney all along and it was not really a base issue. Fasttech CS confirmed it as a base problem and issued a replacement base that is larger in outside diameter.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
This is how much the original will shut off juice flow, the replacement won't even go that far.
You can see the light shining through after the JFC is closed.
defective-base-jpg.579305

Seems to me that there might have been a problem with the chimney all along and it was not really a base issue. Fasttech CS confirmed it as a base problem and issued a replacement base that is larger in outside diameter.
Gotcha. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread