Aspire Nautilus Popping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesestain

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
Does anyone else's Aspire nautilus make popping sounds?

I've read that crackling noises are normal. But there is a noticeable popping sound and I might be imagining things but sometimes I swear liquid shoots up.

If I chain vape the popping doesn't continue. Only when it's been sitting for a while on the first vape.

I'm using an Innokin MVP 2 and the nautilus has the 1.8 ohm coil (reads 1.9 ohms on the device) with a 70% PG / 30% VG liquid @ 8.5 watts. Although, I've tried various wattages and it still pops.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
I haven't tried the Nautilus yet, but from the many clearos and devices I've tried, that popping sound is usually good. When I rebuild my coils, I usually look to hear that sound, which tells me I've built the coil and wicked it properly. Turn down the voltage a bit and you'll hear less popping..

What you don't want to hear is a frying/sizzling noise that quickly increases the longer you vape on it - the sound like your coil is frying a dry wick (which it usually is)

AFox85

Mar 18, 2014
Indiana
Mine did this while the heads were working properly.. Picked one up from a B&M recently, and wasnt able to make it through a whole tank before both heads were giving me a burnt/off taste.. I was only vaping them between 3.3-3.7 volts on a MVP v2.. Was wonderful for half a tank or so, after that it was all down hill.. Maybe some bad heads? I really wanna like this tank..

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
There was one instance I remember thinking I had gotten liquid on my lips from it.. Both coils I mentioned above came with my Nautilus, have yet to get replacement coils as I'm unsure still of paying a handsome fee for them..

Desert Vapes sells them for the same price as regular Aspire BDC heads. $13.95 for 5.

Tap'd from my LG G2

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
My 3 week old Nautilus crackles all the time, except —rarely– whent I aspire (pun intended/not?) very s-l-o-w-l-y. I've been all over the range of airflow holes, watt settings (using an eVic with firmware 1.4), juice types, the works... More/Less, Higher/Lower, Thicker/Thinner, and virtually all the combos. About the only thing I haven't tried is installying the spare 1.8Ω atomizer head; still using the 1.6Ω that came preinstalled.

I love the thing. What can you not about it? The build is great, the looks are too. The taste is usually better or equal to the other tanks and clearos I have, but that «crack!» just annoys me.

At the same time, I have a Kanger Aerotank that is reputedly intended as the head-on competitor to the Nautilus. Although the build is far from the Rolls Royce quality of the latter, it's certainly no ViviNova by any measure, the airflow is tighter too -even wide open- but the head looks much less complicated, easier to repair and cheaper to replace by 30% at least (based on local price for 5), the vapor is good, the taste is equally good and it doesn't gurgle or make any noise whatsoever regardless of watts, pull, juice, position or temperature. My only gripe with it is the ill fitting tubular drip tip supplied, something irrelevant and already fixed with a thicker o-ring.

Can it possibly be due to the higher resistance (2Ω) of the Kanger head? I haven't found higher resistance heads than 1.6Ω for the Nautilus but I'd be willing to gut one and try to build me a 2 or 2.2Ω single coil for it if someone believes this can be the reason.

If someone comes out with a crackling fix for the Nautilus, please, please give me a heads up. I'll appreciate it very much.

Last edited:

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
Rip Tripper has a video of putting a single coil in the Nautilus housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAmIJIUeEUg&list=TLZCkAeXAkDz1tTXUQoKk836kZ5E4WE94B

Paul, I finally got the proper wire WGA for a higher Ω value. Made a 2.2Ω resistance and tried cotton as the video recommended. It's going good at 7.5 with very good taste on a lighter liquid (not Zippo Fuel <LOL!>). I'll try another with silica wick and see how it fares. BTW, the contraption I mentioned in the other thread is a no-go. Never could even cut the tubing to the needed castle tower shape. :)

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread