Another Popular Science article bashing vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
It does not say whether there was any airflow past the coil in that test. In any case, 300C is way too high, since that would instantly carbonize glycerine, which obviously doesn't routinely happen in our use of these devices...

Occasionally, atomizer coils pop (melt). In the case of Kanthal, the coil temperature must have reached about 1200C, 1473K, 2190F.
When an ecig is used, sometimes there is no airflow over the coil. Sometimes the coil is energized before the user begins to puff, and the coil remains energized after the puffing has finished. Sometimes a user makes multiple puffs while the coil is energized, and in between puffs there is no airflow.
I would not be surprised if an analysis of coil gunk showed it contained carbonized glycerine. I would be very surprised [if] it did not.
I'm starting to think it might be less risky to vape a thin mix containing little or no VG, at the lowest wattage. Perhaps even a thin mix of PG and water. I'm going to give it a try. I don't expect it will be very satisfying though.

Last edited:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: We are not going there

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
  • Deleted by sonicdsl

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
  • Deleted by sonicdsl

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
. . . It's about time that people realised that vaping isn't like smoking, it's sometime new and everything new has risks. Don't want to risk it then don't vape.

And, don't be in close proximity to somebody who is blowing clouds. Run for your life!
Don't patronize cafes or bars or other enclosed areas where vaping takes place. Leave. Try to find a place where vaping is prohibited, if there be such a place.
Vapers have the god-given right to put themselves at risk, and to put non-vapers at risk too.
The United States of America is a wonderful country. Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.
Amen. End of story.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
3656009-2531733023-34292.gif

And, don't be in close proximity to somebody who is blowing clouds. Run for your life!
Don't patronize cafes or bars or other enclosed areas where vaping takes place. Leave. Try to find a place where vaping is prohibited, if there be such a place.
Vapers have the god-given right to put themselves at risk, and to put non-vapers at risk too.
The United States of America is a wonderful country. Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.
Amen. End of story.

Hmm... That's... revealing. :D

Neloish

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Whenever a liquid is evaporated it takes heat with it when it turns to a gas, this is why water in a boiling pot will not ever get hotter than its boiling point as a liquid cannot be super heated. As long as your coil is wet the e liquid will not get hotter than its boiling point. This is basic chemistry, I don't know how they could not understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread