Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
So I read this theory on the russian forums. It started with a genesis idea of keeping a wick short -- about 5mm into the tank rather than all the way down to the bottom of the tank. It produces noticeably cleaner flavor. The theory as to why is that with a large wick, you're kind of vaping "backwash". When the coil doesn't evaporate the juice completely, something is left, and on the next toot, you're vaping that something. Progressively it gets noticeably worse.

This theory kind of supports what Jack was telling me a while ago about shorter wicks for the reomizer, and how they produce better flavor compared to a full atty stuffed with extra wicking. It also explains why cartos don't taste the same as regular atomizers.

So now I'm on the war path to figure out how to combine the two. Problem with short wicks is that they leave very little room for error as far as squonking timing and amounts. I prefer the taste of cotton over silica, but the silly thing burns the first time it gets slightly dry. I realize that I may be asking for impossible -- keep the wick wet, but keep replacing the juice in it constantly. Just trying to come up with a way to make juice in it from mixing with the fresh liquid coming up. Kind of a backup valve in a sump pump.

Any ideas?

Alternatively, where can I get good silica that doesn't fray and break into little bitty pieces when bent and pulled through the coil?

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
As an idea -- having two different materials, one for the wick and one for the filler. If the wick has better absorbing qualities than the filling, then the liquid should theoretically flow only one way. Kind of the wick pulling the liquid from the filler but not the other way around.

So, what would wick slower than cotton but still be possible to stuff into the bottom of an RBA?

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Alternatively, where can I get good silica that doesn't fray and break into little bitty pieces when bent and pulled through the coil?

I've always used the shortest wick possible .... I fold 2.5mm in half and wrap, then install and trim as short as I can.
It gives me about 4 hits before I have to squonk again. Thats the great thing about the challice though all the extra goes back in the bottle so if you not sure you can squonk anytime you want and never flood the thing.

Why do people insist on pulling wick through the coil. I don't want to sound like an ... but that just seems crazy to me.
I know a lot of people do it, I'm just wondering what the issue is with wrapping wire around a wick.

I can make an fantastic coil and wick in about 4 seconds (fold wick in half wrap wire around 4 times). Give me another 90 seconds to install it and boom I'm vaping away in under 2 minutes.

I don't use a pin or syringe to stiffen the wick just fold over and wrap .... my 5 year old could do it.
My best friend thats paralyzed can do it but often I install them for him in the reomizers I gave him.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
I've always used the shortest wick possible .... I fold 2.5mm in half and wrap, then install and trim as short as I can.
It gives me about 4 hits before I have to squonk again. Thats the great thing about the challice though all the extra goes back in the bottle so if you not sure you can squonk anytime you want and never flood the thing.

My issue is not with flooding the wick. It's when I forget to squonk in time and burn the wick (I use cotton).

Why do people insist on pulling wick through the coil. I don't want to sound like an ... but that just seems crazy to me.
I know a lot of people do it, I'm just wondering what the issue is with wrapping wire around a wick.

Nope, you don't sound like an .... I pull my wicks through because the coil (being relatively thick 30 ga wire) lasts me a lot longer than the cotton wick. So I set up a coil that I like -- adjust it for throat hit and all, and then I like to keep it that way. Making a coil over a drill bit or toothpick also gives you consistent diameter and resistance. So all my coils are exactly same.

Also, on some of the atomizers, it's a bit more involved to replace a coil. I don't have a chalice, I have a reomizer with stripped post screws and a few A7s. Putting a coil between the posts seems to deform the coil in process, and then it has to be straightened out. It's not difficult or complicated by any stretch, but it takes about 5 minutes compared to your 90 seconds. If I were to do that with a coil wound around a wick, I would end up with a wick that is pinched by the coil in some places, and reduce wicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread