ZenKote, Not that tough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
FL
I think you're right. I just stupidly thought it would be okay. Seriously, I know I am obviously thinking of it the wrong way, but I have dropped, hit, scraped my diamond ring and it its still perfect.

Anyway, I was just mentioning it just in case anyone else misinterpeted the hardness info regarding the finish, like I did.

The FINISH on the material is different from the material itself. Stainless Steel is not going to magically become invincible to damage due to a surface finish. Your diamond ring, the material itself IS the hardest material, therefore impossible to scratch. A soft metal on the other hand, not exactly the hardest material on the Mohs scale.

cincy1020

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
USA
The FINISH on the material is different from the material itself. Stainless Steel is not going to magically become invincible to damage due to a surface finish. Your diamond ring, the material itself IS the hardest material, therefore impossible to scratch. A soft metal on the other hand, not exactly the hardest material on the Mohs scale.
Right, again, that's why I amended what I was initially talking about. Someone else kindly explained my error to me already, and I recognized my initial error, and was now talking about how I am surprised about the SURFACE scratches :laugh:

Last edited:

cincy1020

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
USA
Ah, well you ordered a blem, you got a blem. I s'pose we know what the blemish was on that particular one. :)

Very true! And I don't really mind them being there (that's why I saved $ on it, although now the price is cheaper on them, so I do feel a little gipped in that way; I wish I had waited a little to buy), I'm just surprised such a sturdy finish would get scratched before even being sold.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
cincy, sorry to hear about the ZenKote!

But, it happens.. The life of a vaper...

The others before me are correct: It has to do with improved wearability -- not improved "damageability"..

The ceramic cerakote ProVape uses does wear over time.. And that rate depends on how any given ProVari is used.. I've seen photos of a 3-month-old ProVari with its coating obliterated (was used by a construction worker on the job).. While I've seen 2-year-old ProVarii that look almost brand-new..

My oldest started showing a bit of wear around 5 months.. But even now, it's barely noticeable...

As for ZenKote, it's a coating.. It's a tough coating, but it's a coating on top of stainless steel.. If & when damage occurs to the underlying steel, the coating will usually go with it..

That video of the inventor showing off the product is accurate -- because he's testing wearability, through ScotchBrite (which took off gold-plated quite easily), 2 different levels of sandpaper, and finally an electric grinder (all while spinning rapidly on a lathe, of course)..

You'll notice all the scratches the PV had after the grinder.. And even then, a lot of the coating was still left..

It is a tough coating.. And coating stainless steel for prolonged wearability is a very tricky thing.. The industry has gotten a lot better, but still has a ways to go...

As for your other PVs, physics has a lot to do with it.. Despite the tougher steel & tougher coating, a much-heavier ProVari is still going to take much more of an impact than a much-lighter iTaste VV, for example..

I've knocked over standing ProVarii onto my oak desk.. I've also done the same in the past for my eGo..

Guess which makes a much louder thud? :D

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I have one of the fade paint jobs. Black that fades to red at the bottom. Most if not all the red has flaked off through normal use. No drops of any kind. Now I have a plain black Provari..

But the regular black finish has no chip or scratch of any kind. That parts been real durable!

Last edited:

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
I have one of the fade paint jobs. Black that fades to red at the bottom. Most if not all the red has flaked off through normal use. No drops of any kind. Now I have a plain black Provari..

But the regular black finish has no chip or scratch of any kind. That parts been real durable!

Firearm manufacturers figured that out a long time ago & it's a major reason why they sell the colors they do. Some companies like Ruger understand that people do want some choices, so they have a couple of choices - pink & raspberry, but not blue or green or red. Other companies like Glock have stuck with straight black. They've toyed with FDE (flat dark earth) & a couple of other tacti-cool colors, but they pretty much stick to the matte black. Other than going to a custom gunsmith, you'll never see the colors Provari's are sold in - red, purple, blue, white, bronze, either of the greens. I've seen just about everyone of those done custom, but never from the manufacturer. I'm sure it has a lot to do with demand on some of the colors, but I'd bet durability plays a big part as well.

cincy1020

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
USA
At least your beautiful Provari works after such a fall. Many lesser devices might not fare as well..........

Hi:
If you're referring to me, the fall really wasn't bad at all, barely nicked the end cap and 2 very small scratches to the finish. I was sitting in a chair, and it only fell about a foot or two. It was really very silly. My glass aerotank survived it fine also. If a Provari couldn't withstand a very minor fall, it DEFINITELY wouldn't be worth $200 haha.

Last edited:

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Hi:
If you're referring to me, the fall really wasn't bad at all, barely nicked the end cap and 2 very small scratches to the finish. I was sitting in a chair, and it only fell about a foot or two. It was really very silly. My glass aerotank survived it fine also. If a Provari couldn't withstand a very minor fall, it DEFINITELY wouldn't be worth $200 haha.

Your OP said it fell on a sidewalk, which I took it to mean concrete and concrete could certainly take out a lesser device.

cincy1020

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
USA
Your OP said it fell on a sidewalk, which I took it to mean concrete and concrete could certainly take out a lesser device.
Hmmm... I can see we have different opinions. I did say sidewalk. The fall was very minor. I feel like a $200 device should be able to withstand a minor fall.
Sorry if you disagree :)
I guess I am just poor, so I would never invest $200 in a cigarette that was so fragile.
Either way, it's a moot point, since my Provari is working fine and I have never had any of my "lesser devices" break from a small fall.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Hmmm... I can see we have different opinions. I did say sidewalk. The fall was very minor. I feel like a $200 device should be able to withstand a minor fall.
Sorry if you disagree :)
I guess I am just poor, so I would never invest $200 in a cigarette that was so fragile.
Either way, it's a moot point, since my Provari is working fine and I have never had any of my "lesser devices" break from a small fall.

I guess I missed your point, but my point wasn't that it got scratched. My point was simply that it didn't break. However, it might have helped your OP had you mentioned the fall was minor. Still, it shouldn't be surprising a ZenKote finish when it fell on hard concrete, even from 1 - 2 feet could scratch. But as you said it's minor and the great news is it didn't break.

Last edited:

Via!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Jacksonville FL
I bought my first ProVari 3 years ago last May...it's been dropped on concrete, tossed in my purse to rumble with keys, and assorted junk I carry...and it still links pretty darned good...my second was a red mini 2 years ago...it, too, still looks band-box fresh...and my third, is the dragon mini...which still looks brand new....it doesn't even show finger prints!! The extension cap on the red ceramic mini does have some minuscule "dings" but, no biggie...I bought them to USE them...not as any form of "investment". (It reminds me of a Bible....You know if someone's bible looks a little beat up, that it's been USED!)

No joke, almost immediately after my divorce, the 2 carat diamond my ex gave me "somehow" developed a huge spiderweb crack in it...so I've learned that not even diamonds are "as hard as diamonds"! I had every intent to purchase the gold ZenCoat...and the week I decided to get it, the Dragons were available...so the dragon won. Also, because I'm an interior designer, I looked high and low for a "gold-ish" color tank, and couldn't find one that I liked...sure, I could have used "black"....but...was also afraid the gold would look "cheap"....plus, I hadn't read any reviews of how the coating held up.

I wouldn't want the job of choosing colors for the ProVari...other than the red ceramcoat, I haven't seen a color that screamed "buy me"...I liked the green "zombie" color...but, I'm an elderly lady, and thought I'd be laughing stock in the community with a zombie ProVari, the red "blood spots" were too much...not even one of the 1/2 & 1/2s interested me...I liked the bronze, but it seems to be sold out....the "emerald" is a funky green, IMHO....so, the choices are either black or another silver...

Kudos to ProVape for offering the Dragon only through B&M retailers!!! I like to support my local retail establishments if I possibly can! I hope next year they develop another B&M exclusive!

I do wish that provape would check with Pantone and discover "color trends 2014-2015". More than anything, COLOR SELLS!!

Thanks to all that posted their experiences with ZenCoat here...knowing WHAT to expect sure helps when making a purchase online!

cincy1020

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
USA
I bought my first ProVari 3 years ago last May...it's been dropped on concrete, tossed in my purse to rumble with keys, and assorted junk I carry...and it still links pretty darned good...my second was a red mini 2 years ago...it, too, still looks band-box fresh...and my third, is the dragon mini...which still looks brand new....it doesn't even show finger prints!! The extension cap on the red ceramic mini does have some minuscule "dings" but, no biggie...I bought them to USE them...not as any form of "investment". (It reminds me of a Bible....You know if someone's bible looks a little beat up, that it's been USED!)

No joke, almost immediately after my divorce, the 2 carat diamond my ex gave me "somehow" developed a huge spiderweb crack in it...so I've learned that not even diamonds are "as hard as diamonds"! I had every intent to purchase the gold ZenCoat...and the week I decided to get it, the Dragons were available...so the dragon won. Also, because I'm an interior designer, I looked high and low for a "gold-ish" color tank, and couldn't find one that I liked...sure, I could have used "black"....but...was also afraid the gold would look "cheap"....plus, I hadn't read any reviews of how the coating held up.

I wouldn't want the job of choosing colors for the ProVari...other than the red ceramcoat, I haven't seen a color that screamed "buy me"...I liked the green "zombie" color...but, I'm an elderly lady, and thought I'd be laughing stock in the community with a zombie ProVari, the red "blood spots" were too much...not even one of the 1/2 & 1/2s interested me...I liked the bronze, but it seems to be sold out....the "emerald" is a funky green, IMHO....so, the choices are either black or another silver...

Kudos to ProVape for offering the Dragon only through B&M retailers!!! I like to support my local retail establishments if I possibly can! I hope next year they develop another B&M exclusive!

I do wish that provape would check with Pantone and discover "color trends 2014-2015". More than anything, COLOR SELLS!!

Thanks to all that posted their experiences with ZenCoat here...knowing WHAT to expect sure helps when making a purchase online!

Hi:

That is awful about your diamond. Even if you were getting a divorce, you could have repurposed it. My diamond is 1.85 carats, and I would die if something happened to it haha. The hardness of diamonds makes them VERY difficult to scratch (much like the ZenKote should be), but it doesn't really mean they can't break. Diamonds are susceptible to breakage if they are poorly cut, or poorly set, or since they are natural stones just the bad luck of hitting it the wrong way could crack it.

I am so jealous you got the dragon! I wanted one so badly, but there are no stores within 120 miles of where I live that sell it. Of course shortly after buying my gold one, the clearance dragon was available haha. Regardless I still love my gold one!

I'm glad you understood the whole point of my post :) I just wanted people to know what my experience was with the ZenKote. I wasn't intending to bash Provari or even the finish, I just wanted potential buyers to be aware that it is not by any means tough as nails. And yes, I also wanted to vent and share my disappointment :(

I have not tried to match my topper to the gold of my Mini. What I chose to do is go with stainless, which matches the end cap as well as the beauty ring (I usually always use the stainless flower end cap I got, it just happens that I have the extended cap on in the picture I attached, but I rarely use it). I think it looks really nice and keeps it from looking a little TOO gold if that makes sense. But then again, I also wear white gold and yellow gold jewelry together. I'm sure whichever color you choose, it will be beautiful!
2014-07-30 15.27.31.jpg

PS: I would ABSOLUTELY buy a radiant orchid colored Provari!

Last edited:
Interesting thread about the Zenkotes. I have a 2 week old gun metal (Not a blem) that hasn't left my place or even put in a pocket. The surfaces that come in contact with your hand are fine. But there are slight areas *inside* the recessed areas of the tear drops that have what seem to be scratches or cracks running through them where you can see bare metal.

From a little distance they're not noticeable, it's just one of those things that once you've seen you can't "Unsee" as they say.

It's my first Provari, so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as finish durability. I'll probably shoot an email to customer support in case it worsens in the coming weeks. Device seems to hit like a champ and I'm largely thrilled with it, but the stories of less than optimal finish durability and a high defect rate on the ZKs don't give me warm fuzzies about the long haul.

Vape on amigos.

Bklynzfinest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Interesting thread about the Zenkotes. I have a 2 week old gun metal (Not a blem) that hasn't left my place or even put in a pocket. The surfaces that come in contact with your hand are fine. But there are slight areas *inside* the recessed areas of the tear drops that have what seem to be scratches or cracks running through them where you can see bare metal.

From a little distance they're not noticeable, it's just one of those things that once you've seen you can't "Unsee" as they say.

It's my first Provari, so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as finish durability. I'll probably shoot an email to customer support in case it worsens in the coming weeks. Device seems to hit like a champ and I'm largely thrilled with it, but the stories of less than optimal finish durability and a high defect rate on the ZKs don't give me warm fuzzies about the long haul.

Vape on amigos.

This. This is essentially what my gun metal is looking like as well. Noticed plenty of tiny scratches fresh out of the box and unfortunately more are cropping up with time . I think from here on out ill stick with the satin silvers!

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
I'm glad I got the Satin Silvers. They look like they have a finish on them, but in reality, they're simply sand blasted stainless. I watched the Busard (I think that's his name) video of his visit to Provape and they showed how they blast the finish on SS tubes. It's an interesting video if anyone hasn't watched it.

cincy1020

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
USA

Vape on amigos.

Ugh! So sorry to hear about your experience. Provaris are amazing, but I kind of wish I had bout the satin silver or the polished (which could be buffed if needed).

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
This is essentially what my gun metal is looking like as well. Noticed plenty of tiny scratches fresh out of the box and unfortunately more are cropping up with time.

I'd be curious if most/all with ZenKotes have been experiencing this, since they've been out for a while now..

Same goes for non-ProVari ZenKotes...

Are these all Mini's?

I'd be curious if most/all with ZenKotes have been experiencing this, since they've been out for a while now..

Same goes for non-ProVari ZenKotes...

Are these all Mini's?

FWIW mine is a mini, don't think I mentioned it specifically, but the teardrop reference probably gave that away.

I do wonder if the problem is only or worse on them since the tube pattern is a little more intricate than the full size units. The cracks on mine are not in all of the recesses, just some of them.

It's definitely a little disappointing. Provape was kind enough to swap out my original SS kit that I got as a gift (Even though it had been bought before their 7 day return window), and I'm very thankful for that. Then my GMZK arrived with a red LED instead of the blue I ordered. They did their very best to make that right, but it still delayed things by several weeks.

I think my exchange with Kim is up to 22 mails, I hate to even bother with this. But for a coating that's marketed as something beyond the regular colored ones (And priced accordingly) it's definitely a bit of a let down. That and the super short 510 connector that seems incapable of flush mounting any tank I own.

Outside of those things the device is truly all I hoped it would be. Save for it dining on 18350s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner LOL. Need to get a few bigger batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread