Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
When this country wakes up and starts to return the economy to this country instead of relying on unrelenting greed and bottom lines I might just start buying again. I am fed up with american co making their products in china

You are truly dreaming.

When Americans want to sit, row after row, on benches all day "assembling" things, with a tea and a scone for breakfast and then a very long day, for low wages......then we will return to a manufacturing economy.

I can't find a parent here who want their children doing that kind of work, you know the ol' we are too good for that.

And, workers here are not willing to work for the wages, so a clearomizer would be $50.

Heck some of the chinese ones are already $35 and they are disposable. :facepalm:

The US is good at some things, but manufacturing isn't something that is going to come back, IMHO.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
And Rob is out of something I'm looking for almost every time I visit reosmods.

Rob is essentially a small cottage industry. He is by no means a full scale "manufacturing environment"

....., and probably never will be, unless he wanted to build out into a complex in an industrial park somewhere, and have most everything assembled and crafted by machines and other people.

At present, that is clearly not his business model. :)

christianw

Apr 22, 2011
OC, CA
anyone wondering why China manufacturing is so preferable to US manufacturing need to look no further than the story of why the iphone is made there. I'm going to copy pasta a quote from an article about it and then link it as well.

"Another critical advantage for Apple was that China provided engineers at a scale the United States could not match. Apple’s executives had estimated that about 8,700 industrial engineers were needed to oversee and guide the 200,000 assembly-line workers eventually involved in manufacturing iPhones. The company’s analysts had forecast it would take as long as nine months to find that many qualified engineers in the United States.

In China, it took 15 days."

copy and paste this into your browser.

Code:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
anyone wondering why China manufacturing is so preferable to US manufacturing need to look no further than the story of why the iphone is made there.

I posted the same story several months ago, and yes, in a global economy, you have to be able to "get it together" with some alacrity in order to stay operational.

That means if somebody like Steve Jobs wants to give you a large project ($$$), you bring the political and financial resources to bear, build out an industrial park and start hiring.....because this is gonna mean a lot of work for a lot of people......

...not a task for people wearing cement boots. :)

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Haven't read the whole thread but as your asking for personal views didn't need too. Yes I'm quite happy with my Chinese vape gear it got me off cigarettes and has kept me off them for a very reasonable price. Is the quality top notch not always but its always working and able to do its designed task so far I've had nothing break or fail me maybe I'm just lucky. Also I'm well aware that most stuff manufactured these days has some element of Chinese build in it somewhere. China has some of the highest manufacturing standards in the world if your willing to pay for it but also caters for all price points hence them replacing most western manufacturing. I am not nor will I ever be an elitist or indulge any form of snobbery so am happy to buy Chinese be it my box mod or the ego's for my wife and family members.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
most stuff manufactured these days has some element of Chinese build in it somewhere. China has some of the highest manufacturing standards in the world if your willing to pay for it but also caters for all price points

Post of the Month right here.

Anything can be made a certain way, but you have to be willing to pay for it!

danca90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
Post of the Month right here.

Anything can be made a certain way, but you have to be willing to pay for it!

Prime example of quality Chinese stuff is Eastman mandolins. You could buy an American made one cheaper, but it won't be hand made to perfection.
Also, inokin seems to be pretty spot on with most of it's products. How many MVPs are over the year mark?

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
When this country starts trying to benefit it's own citizens instead of others manufacturing will come back. Get rid of the fraud and graft and especially the constant growth meme of the fed. You cannot have infinite growth on a finite planet.

Manufacturing won't return to the U.S., in any substantive way, until the old work ethic returns and we shed the sense of entitlement that current generations have acquired. Nobody is going to choose to make a widget here where they have to pay 10x more for a work force that's more concerned about their break time and benefits package than the quality of the product- not when the consumer market want a quality product at a low price. The American factory worker USED to see themselves in partnership with their employer (like the Chinese do now) but they've turned that relationship into an adversarial one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Rob is essentially a small cottage industry. He is by no means a full scale "manufacturing environment"

....., and probably never will be, unless he wanted to build out into a complex in an industrial park somewhere, and have most everything assembled and crafted by machines and other people.

At present, that is clearly not his business model. :)
Exactly

That's a good portion of my point.

Sent from my device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread