"You can't vape in here" in a vape shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garym93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah I wasn't sure about the kosherness of posting the store's name, but it was Good Guy Vapes in Clifton, NJ for anyone wondering (pretty fantastic shop, good prices, mostly knowledgeable staff).

I don't really understand, how is the law getting amended? The staff member who talked to me mentioned something about it, but I shrugged it off as being longer term than he was leading me to believe.

How come you can still vape in other NJ vape shops (ie: Liquid Lounge)?

I'm not really sure. Guess they're lobbying/protesting it. I don't see the harm in posting the name especially because it is such a fantastic place to go. I really like it there. They have a lot of stuff at good prices. Also, this isn't really a store policy, more so a state/town issue. I think this is going to be an issue with more and more stores here as time goes on. It may have had something to do with the people in Clifton really loved them some clouds. Store was like a swamp horror movie most of the time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
Although it's annoying that you can't vape in a vape shop, when someone tells you that you can't do something in their private establishement, you comply gracefully or open your own shop.

Contrary to popular ECF belief, you're not entitled to vape indoors anywhere except in your own home and in your car.

Pretty shocking eh?

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
It is a public space. Unless it is designated private, it is public.

The big concern I have had is when the government finally makes up its mind and starts regulating vaping as smoking... there may be a bunch of fines racked up by these shops for allowing smoking(vaping) in a public establishment. As you can see, 3500 bucks isn't chump change either.

Well someone was saying, and I was talking to the employee about it a little bit, that they're working on amending the law that prevents you from being able to vape in a vape shop. Or they're getting some license or something. I'm not exactly sure which, but I do know they're working to fix it.

Also I didn't think it was a "public space", it's not a park or anything, it's a privately owned business. They can refuse customers if they want, for whatever reason/no reason at all, just like customers have the choice to not enter the shop.

Although it's annoying that you can't vape in a vape shop, when someone tells you that you can't do something in their private establishement, you comply gracefully or open your own shop.

Contrary to popular ECF belief, you're not entitled to vape indoors anywhere except in your own home and in your car.

Pretty shocking eh?

Did you read? I never said anywhere that I didn't comply, or that I continued to vape after being told I couldn't. I never even said I was "entitled to vape".

Don't post if you're just gonna jump to bashing.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
As much as the Philippines is a '3rd World Country' ... one of the things I like about living there is you can smoke or vape just about anywhere.

Obviously, you can't smoke in certain areas, like in the hospital, but there not so "Politically Correct" with all the BS you see here in the US.

Jeeeze, I used to send my wife's 13 year old nephew down to local store to buy me beer and cigarettes!

oh well ....

Going to Walmart was always a lot of fun over there too: :D

No problem smoking or vaping in Walmart!

Wall-mart.jpg

Last edited:

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
It may have had something to do with the people in Clifton really loved them some clouds. Store was like a swamp horror movie most of the time lol

Lol yeah, it has always been CRAZY cloudy in there, and they always have the ceiling fans on too, presumably to prevent it from getting uncomfortably foggy.

Flt Simulation said:
that picture

LOOOOL! Do they call it "Wall Mart" because all 4 walls are still there?

Last edited:

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
Did you read? I never said anywhere that I didn't comply, or that I continued to vape after being told I couldn't. I never even said I was "entitled to vape".

Don't post if you're just gonna jump to bashing.

Well I might've understood this part wrongly :

So yesterday I went to go buy my IPV3 (I'm relatively satisfied, but I made another thread about an issue), and I was told I can't vape. I did what I usually do, sat down (the employees were helping other customers), pulled out my mod and dripped some drops, and took a nice relaxing sigh/puff.

You were told you can't vape, so you sat down, broke out the dripper and took a puff on the spot?

Maybe the structure of the sentence is steering me down the wrong road here but darn, that's some cold mannered nonchalance right there lol

Last edited:

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
JayQC said:
Maybe the structure of the sentence is steering me down the wrong road here but darn, that's one cold mannered aloofness right there lol

Lol actually re-reading it, it's somewhat unclear. I was establishing the premise of the post. I was "Quentin Tarantino"-ing you guys.

Only it was WAY more clear than any Tarantino movie. ;)

Corrected to sort out any misconceptions. I'd never vape where someone told me not to. I even try and not vape around people in public and such, just because some people might be sensitive to that thing.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
As you can see, 3500 bucks isn't chump change either.

It's not just the 3500 bucks. It's the loss of business. If I walked into a vape shop and they told me I couldn't vape there, I'd leave. If you can't taste-test, can't try something out, etc, then you may as well order online. Vape shops are more expensive than online, and I still do most of my business with local shops. I understand that they have rent, electricity bills, they have to pay employees, etc, and it's more expensive than selling the exact same items via an online store. But if I can't vape in the vape shop, then I may as well order online and save the money. I'd have walked out, and I wouldn't be back.

I realize it isn't their choice to make that rule. That was some politicians idea. But bottom line, I'd see no reason to be there. I wouldn't go to a bar that doesn't allow you to drink beer, either.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Well, if I had been going to get some new juice (that I had never tried), I would reconsider that and not actually get any juice, if they told me I couldn't sample it.

I was going for a device though, and I was sort of looking to just pick it up and take it home rather than really hang out there (which I sometimes do) and vape around. Not like I could have even if I wanted to though.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
It's not just the 3500 bucks. It's the loss of business. If I walked into a vape shop and they told me I couldn't vape there, I'd leave. If you can't taste-test, can't try something out, etc, then you may as well order online. Vape shops are more expensive than online, and I still do most of my business with local shops. I understand that they have rent, electricity bills, they have to pay employees, etc, and it's more expensive than selling the exact same items via an online store. But if I can't vape in the vape shop, then I may as well order online and save the money. I'd have walked out, and I wouldn't be back.

I realize it isn't their choice to make that rule. That was some politicians idea. But bottom line, I'd see no reason to be there. I wouldn't go to a bar that doesn't allow you to drink beer, either.

I understand that. I only take this for my state Ohio. Don't get me started on the smoking ban voted in in 2006. The thing is (if you live in that city) you have no choice. Each B&M in that locality should be following the rules. That will get us into a different discussion, but those are the rules(like I said we are in that grey area now).

This is the fine schedule for an Ohio business.

Businesses: Warning letter, first violation; $100, second violation; $500, third violation; $1,000, fourth violation; and $2,500, fifth and subsequent violations. Note: fines may be doubled for intentional violations at the discretion of the enforcement entity and may be assessed on a daily basis for continuing violations.

It wouldn't surprised if an establishment stated well it wasn't clear, but the state said well it should have been clear. Pay up.

There is also a cigar bar close to me that my wife I go to a lot. Besides the cigars, they have a good selection of draft beer. A nice fireplace and some good tvs for watching sports. Many do not go because the places smells like a cigar humidor, which it is. They are a "private club".

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Also I didn't think it was a "public space", it's not a park or anything, it's a privately owned business. They can refuse customers if they want, for whatever reason/no reason at all, just like customers have the choice to not enter the shop.

Aye mate, like the other poster stated, anywhere the public is able to enter is a public place. The way to get around it is to become a private establishment. I, however, do not know what is involved in that.

In Ohio, if the store would have been established prior to the stupid voters voting in the smoking ban to the state constitution one would be able to test products there. If it was establish after, then no one wouldn't. The same with smoking.

I would be surprised if they were able to refuse customers for anything they want.

Note... that is if vaping indoors is treated like smoking.

This is the definition of Ohio for private club for smoking

(G) Private clubs as defined in section 4301.01(B)(13) of the Revised Code, provided all of the following apply: the club has no employees; the club is organized as a not for profit entity; only members of the club are present in the club's building; no persons under the age of eighteen are present in the club's building; the club is located in a freestanding structure occupied solely by the club; smoke from the club does not migrate into an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited under the provisions of this chapter; and, if the club serves alcohol, it holds a valid D4 liquor permit.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
New Jersey was the first state to actually ban vaping.....somewhere back in 2009 (?).

The business owner has to follow state law :( Hopefully they will be able to get around that and I'm VERY happy to hear that he is very involved with getting things changed in that state.

Most of NJ didn't have a clue that those laws were in affect, in regards to ecigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread