Winter - 'tis the season to be vaping old style???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Yes I have quite a lot of regulated mods in my collection but this time of year does seem to bring out the notion for simpler things somehow - I remember writing about mech mods last year and saying that you almost develop a relationship with the things as you get attuned to how it's vaping and what state the battery is in.

The 'uman mind is indeed a funny ould thing!
One thing about mechs is you'll never forget how the control works, no matter how old and out of it you may get. You may forget what part of the mod it is on, but you'll know what to do when you find it.

The lack of controls and settings is part of the Joy of Mechs. Whenever I (increasingly rarely) use a regulated mod anymore, I immediately start messing with the settings. With mechs, I get dialed in and puff until it starts fading (usually quite a while at my resistances), then pull a battery out and put the other one in the charger.

It's definitely not for everyone.

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
?..find myself at this time of the year back with a preference for older technology and simpler things such as my Telecaster Guitar ( Leo Fender’s first design back in 1950 and still going strong ) my quartz Rotary watch ( from the 1980s ) and a mech mod with the same tank every day.

Is it just me, is it me age guv or does anyone else find anything similar?

Whatever - happy vaping!

Well, I still love and play my Strat and Epi LP, wore an analog watch for years, and still miss the vape gear (a lot of it anyway) from seven years ago.

We're about midway through winter here too, so maybe that has something to do with it:D

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Well, if a Subtank is "old gear" then I vape old gear all the time.

But lately I've been vaping a lot lately on old gear. Some of the gear I bought brand new recently. It's out there if you look.

I find it helps to keep the liquid consumption down a lot, even compared to 13W vaping on a subtank. I think I'm proving to myself that I don't I need the nicotine that much. I mostly addicted to the act of smoking/vaping.

I do like the nostalgia but also, for me, using things like auto egos and auto cigalikes with tanks simulates the act of smoking cigars and cigarettes, which I like. I have a good source for cigalikes, but the auto egos are hard to find. But I found one source with limited stock so I will be making a last purchase from them soon.

I also use mechs & Zmax with 18350s. It's amazing how hard the zmax hits with 2x 18350s, but I don't usually do that because they say it's dangerous. I just wanted to try it and boy was was surprised how hard it hits with 2 batts.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I lived in the city... actually the outskirts of the city all my life (but was very outdoors and went camping/hiking/roughing it a lot) Anyway, moved to the mountains and lived at 5000 ft for 11 years (different life... hard to understand unless you've been there) Raking pine needles, burn piles, then shovel snow all winter... different lifestyle. Power outs, highway shut down... and so on. Talk about winter... we once had 10 feet of snow in one week! "Old school" was just a part of life up there... in many ways. Now (not by choice but victim of circumstance) I'm back in the city (has grown to almost 100,000) and instead of snow it's fog (nothing compared to what I had to deal with but is depressing) I miss "old school"... I crave it... does anyone even remember before cell phones? Before "Alexa"?

Electrodave

LPV
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2015
    Denver, CO
    www.electrostring.com
    I miss "old school"... I crave it... does anyone even remember before cell phones? Before "Alexa"?
    I remember how awestruck I was to find out that President Johnson (Lyndon, not Andrew) had a phone in his car. I saw it on the CBS News with Walter Cronkite.

Reactions: kmk and jmur

Electrodave

LPV
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2015
    Denver, CO
    www.electrostring.com
    I really can't afford to buy vaping stuff I want (or even need) I find the clearance sales and get what I can... BUT there is this part of me that wants a mech... old school thing... must have just one... like this one:
    RJ Mod Zodiac Mod
    Year of the Rat BTW.
    I bought one of those. They are claiming them to be authentic, but they definitely are not. Not even a very good mod for $32. Look at what I got for less than that at Fasttech:
    Cav V1 2.JPG

Much better made, and you gotta love that RDA.

Or this:
    9619339-6.jpg

The THC Tauren mod. This is the real deal here for $38 shipped at Fasttech (after you apply the coupon code MAP in the shopping cart). Takes 21700/20700/18650, has a super low voltage drop, heavy duty stuff, Bro'
    $84.90 Thunderhead Creations Tauren 18650/20700/21700 Mechanical Mod - 1*18650/1*21700/1*20700 / copper at FastTech - Free Shipping

Attachments

• 9619340-2.jpg
      9619340-2.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 9

Electrodave

LPV
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2015
    Denver, CO
    www.electrostring.com
    Yes, the 18650 adapter that comes with it works great. Do read up a bit on hybrid mechs here a bit. This is the sort that doesn't have a 510 connector, but rather, the atomizer pin (or the pin from a heat sink) contacts the battery directly. Also order a 510 heat sink or two.
    Tauren SSGoon.JPG

Last edited:

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    dunno, it was 37c in my backyard today. I was using a pod.

I build tube guitar amps based on 50's designs for a hobby, the only mass produced amp I own is a hand wired fender.
    But, as much as I love that stuff I also enjoy digital modeling gear and just as often use it. My guitars range from birth year strat and 335 through to a 2016 MIJ semi. The 2016 MIJ semi gets the lion share of play time. For me its the one I relate to the most.
    No real seasonal drift for me, I like all the stuff old and new.
    Hell, I got a Holden utility that has manual 3 speed column shift from the 70's. As cool as it is, its horrible, I love it.
    3 on the tree we used to call it. steering usually so loose you cold shift with your fingers while keeping your arm resting out the window.:thumb:

• Agree
    Reactions: Jebbn

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Well, if a Subtank is "old gear" then I vape old gear all the time.

Love my Kanger subtanks! Do you make your own coils or use drop ins? They are the only tanks I have used since early 2017. Do you know any site that has any left for sale?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Love my Kanger subtanks! Do you make your own coils or use drop ins? They are the only tanks I have used since early 2017. Do you know any site that has any left for sale?

The only reasonably priced ones I have found are clones. But I'm sending you a PM.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Electrodave, no worries... I'm a mechanic (technician) and DIY electronics person for years. Was really into audiophile stuff... built my own speakers (hand-wound coils and home-made crossovers) My buddy made his own amp with KT-88 tubes (and tube pre-amp) I even remember what a soldering iron is LOL

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread