Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
have used every mesh to date. the first mesh i used was 325, i had tried it with various center hole configurations, but never with no hole. i then went on to 400, and also had tried it with different size center holes as well. also tried 270 mesh with the same configurations, but with all those different meshes i had never tried to roll a completely solid,no hole wick. when the 500 mesh hit, what caught my attension was that people were saying you could roll it with no center hole at all. so when i had tried this it seemed to work well. i have been doing this for some time. funny enough i had never tried the 500 with any type of center hole until last night. i still rolled it tight but with a paperclip size center hole. wow, the difference is noticable in taste especially, and maybe a little in wicking. for the DID i still am using about 4 inches in width, but for a fat wick that i roll, its not that super tight. so if you are messing around with the 500 and have been rolling a no hole wick, give this a try. also for those that are still trying out different wicks, let us that have been doing this for a while state our wick configurations..... me, 500/ solid, very small hole/ 4-3/8 width, in a DID atty, 4/5 wrap, 1 ohm, 28g. @3.4volts. maybe this info from various people can help out others.

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I don't get real fussy about it. I just guess, mostly. A couple days ago, I received my DiD Shortie, which has a 3.2mm wick hole. Larger than any of my other gennys. I use the drill bit method, when wrapping coils; and I found I needed a 1/8" bit to make the coil. After making and installing the coil, I didn't know how long to cut the mesh, because I hadn't made that size wick before. But I noticed that the 400 mesh that came with the DiD was 8" wide; so I figured "What the heck, I'll just cut it in half, and see what happens." I rolled the 4" piece I had cut, using no paper clip or anything. I just rolled it up, oxidized it, until it inserted into the wick properly. I had to roll it tight; but not crazy tight. End result: It worked perfectly.
Sometimes, I think we split hairs with this stuff.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
agreed, when i got my cobra i found a screwdriver to fit the hole perfectly and now use it for the coils and just make the wicks to fit just that size.

Yep, my drill index is my friend, when it comes to coil wrapping. I install the coil, cut a piece of mesh, and roll it 'till it fits.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I don't get real fussy about it. I just guess, mostly. A couple days ago, I received my DiD Shortie, which has a 3.2mm wick hole. Larger than any of my other gennys. I use the drill bit method, when wrapping coils; and I found I needed a 1/8" bit to make the coil. After making and installing the coil, I didn't know how long to cut the mesh, because I hadn't made that size wick before. But I noticed that the 400 mesh that came with the DiD was 8" wide; so I figured "What the heck, I'll just cut it in half, and see what happens." I rolled the 4" piece I had cut, using no paper clip or anything. I just rolled it up, oxidized it, until it inserted into the wick properly. I had to roll it tight; but not crazy tight. End result: It worked perfectly.
Sometimes, I think we split hairs with this stuff.

dont want to split any hairs ? what does that mean, there are lots of questions on these posts about people wanting to know about mesh sizes, i think thats what all this is about, to help. all information is helpfull no matter how slight it may be.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I few weeks ago I started rolling unoxidized wicks. It is much tougher to make solid wicks if you don't oxidize the mesh. I just got tired of trying to make my wicks solid...so I started rolling it tight but not using so much pressure as to crush the mesh. When you don't apply too much pressure to make it completely solid you end up with a very small hole in the wick. Anyway the wicks are much better at wicking than my previous super solid wicks. I was surprised by this so...I checked out the modders forum and their new opinion is that a unoxidized, very tightly tightly rolled, flexible, and having a small hole wick is the way to go in terms of genesis wicks. I definitely agree with them.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
here look through this thread
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/365999-un-oxidized-wicks.html
we talked about it a length and most, if not all the info and tips are there.

my wicks are completely silver inside my tank the only place it gets black is the very tip.
you just have to use the drillbit method for a coil and a reg lighter to darken the end of the wick where the coil goes, all that oxidizing, quenching and juice burning is a waste of time and kills the flavor.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I few weeks ago I started rolling unoxidized wicks. It is much tougher to make solid wicks if you don't oxidize the mesh. I just got tired of trying to make my wicks solid...so I started rolling it tight but not using so much pressure as to crush the mesh. When you don't apply too much pressure to make it completely solid you end up with a very small hole in the wick. Anyway the wicks are much better at wicking than my previous super solid wicks. I was surprised by this so...I checked out the modders forum and their new opinion is that a unoxidized, very tightly tightly rolled, flexible, and having a small hole wick is the way to go in terms of genesis wicks. I definitely agree with them.

whether, ox or un ox, i have to agree, just that small center hole, seems to work better

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
So you can ox it only where the coil goes around. You don't need to ox it where it goes thru the top piece. I got to watch more video's again.

I oxidize mine from the top down to below where the wick goes through the top deck. The part that's down in the tank doesn't need to be oxidized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread