Why such a flavor difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbabbster

Jul 9, 2013
Phoenix AZ
First off, one week without an analog after trying my first vape :thumbs: after 20+ years of a pad.

I got into all this mostly out of curiosity by stopping at a local vape shop and checking it out, ended up buying a starter kit and trying many great flavored juices made in house. I liked so many, but walked out with four.

Yesterday, on the other side of town, I noticed another shop, just wanted to check it out, ( seems this has turned into a new addiction for me, spending a lot of time reading through this forum ), anyway, thought I would check out some more flavors, the guys were eager to let me try many of their juices, and were very helpful. But everyone I tried of about 10, I could barely taste anything, just a hint, even tried a few of the same flavors I already had, they said they were 50 50. Not sure of the mix of the ones I purchased at the first shop.

Is their such a difference between juices made from shop to shop?, Could the first ones I got make that big of a difference with the pg vg mix, giving more flavor? I feel I am somewhat use to the stronger flavors after a week of vaping, trying the others did not do anything for me, I think if I would have tried those first, I may not have even have got into this, and stayed with the analogs, ( was not looking to quit, just was checking it out ), but I am sure glad I did...I'm hooked.

MISTERDIEABETIC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I had the same thing happen. First local Place I went to,( Best Electronic Cigarette and E-cigarette Accessory Web Store By Elite Vapors) bought a starter kit with 2 batteries and 2 tanks. I bought an andes mint flavor and loved it and plan on getting some more as the 15ml bottle didn't last long between my girlfriend and I ( I gave the other e cig to her). I went to another local place (E Cig : Best Ejuice | Joye eGo & eGo-T | Boge Leo | Cartomizers | E-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes) bought 2 kanger pro tanks and 3 new flavors. Lemon Lime, Peppermint Mocha and Mango. I love the new tanks, but the e juice is just crap. They are all made in house and have the consistency of water. The peppermint mocha tastes like cheap mouthwash with no hint of mocha. Lemon Lime tastes like water downed flat sprite and the mango is alright but still has a weak flavor.

Now I dont know why the first place I got juice from has color in the juice and the second place is completely clear. Needless to say I will not order any more e juice from vapingzone (which their bottles say are made with pg and vg but no idea the ratio)

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi

Recipes vary from vendor to vendor and many places offer customization options like extra shots, sweetener, added menthol, etc. But after smoking for so long your senses of taste and smell are going to go through changes as they heal. I could barely taste any juices besides menthol, mint and cinnamon for about 3 months.

This article goes into more depth

Taste Buds and Vapers Tongue

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
In addition more PG will accentuate the flavor. The clear juices may need "steeping" - that is, take the lids off for a couple days and shake occasionally. Then put the lids back on - shake occasionally and try after a week. This allows any alcohol used in the mixing process to burn off, and the juice will mature - and may well change color during that process. It's worth a try before throwing them out anyway. :)

Dbabbster

Jul 9, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Hi

Recipes vary from vendor to vendor and many places offer customization options like extra shots, sweetener, added menthol, etc. But after smoking for so long your senses of taste and smell are going to go through changes as they heal. I could barely taste any juices besides menthol, mint and cinnamon for about 3 months.

This article goes into more depth

Taste Buds and Vapers Tongue

Thanks for the link....this may explain some of my symptoms, as well my first juices do have a sweeter taste.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Clear juice isn't necessarily a bad thing, nicotine should be clear to light amber, if you DIY many flavors are clear, PG and Vg are clear. Some darken as they steep, so the clear may have been fresh. Some juices have added food coloring, like the famous Pluid. And like The Ocelot stated, your taste buds are recovering. Just a heads up, juice you like this week, may taste awful next week, and juice you didn't like may actually taste good.

Welcome to ECF and let your vaping journey begin.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Taste is subjective, and everyone is different. No doubt the flavors that you hate, someone else loves.
    When I first started the only flavors that worked were strong sweet flavors with a high nicotine content. Two years later, I would be getting out the PG & VG to cut those flavors by 50%.

Even the way I season foods has changed!

chellemmm

Chihuahua Queen
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 4, 2013
    Florida
    Make sure you drink LOTS of WATER. You need to hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more.

Your tastebuds are going to change back and forth as they recover. As others have stated, you may love a juice next week that you hated last week. Don't throw any juice away if you don't like it; stick it in the back of the drawer and revisit it in a couple of months.

Have fun, happy vaping and CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!

Dbabbster

Jul 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    This makes me kind of leary of ordering any juices online without tasting first, is this normal? I really like mixing up my flavors through out the day. Going between a tropical piña colada, to a Turkish blend, and one that taste just like good & plentys ( black liquorice ), which I had to get a glass pro tank for because I was told it would eat up my vivi nova.

tommyh

Jul 13, 2013
    westmass
    Newbie here too. But what I've found the past few days it that flavors will change from device to device. The cartos that came with my starter set were so-so. Sometimes good flavor, sometimes hardly any, on the juice they sold. Friday my stuff came in from an online vendor:RY4 juice, a Vision Nano clearomizer (bottom coil), and a CE5 dual coil (top coils). While the CE5 is giving off much more vapor and a harder hit, the flavor is far less than the nano with the bottom single coil. Even on a softer drag with the CE5, tons of vapor but less flavor. I can take a nice long drag on the nano, get good vapor and great flavor. & thus, have not had an analog since Friday night.

But it would be nice to know who is mixing for the vendors so we would know whose mix we're getting up front.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Austin, TX
    www.thesmilingwolf.com
    This makes me kind of leary of ordering any juices online without tasting first, is this normal? I really like mixing up my flavors through out the day. Going between a tropical piña colada, to a Turkish blend, and one that taste just like good & plentys ( black liquorice ), which I had to get a glass pro tank for because I was told it would eat up my vivi nova.

What The Ocelot said. And if you do order without tasting first, get small bottles and don't go too crazy. You should see my stash of "stopped liking" juices. :)

As your sense of taste recovers, your tastes will change. Even the coffee I drink and the way I take it changed. It's not at all a bad thing, it's your body recovering from smoking but be aware that buying big batches of juices in the early days can backfire. I bought some big bottles of one I liked in the first month and now I can't stand it! Trying to find something to mix it with so it's not a total waste...

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
    May 6, 2013
    United States
    As you will quickly find out from browsing the e-liquid forum, people's tastes vary wildly. So with any juice, YMMV.

Some vendors tend toward more subtle flavors, others toward big full flavors. I find I have migrated to the more subtle end of the scale, for me, less flavoring tends to let me tastebuds recover between draws, so in the end I actually experience more flavor. And as others have said, PG/VG ratios can markedly change a flavor profile.

Dbabbster

Jul 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread