why not drill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorknob

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2011
41.2411° N, 77.0014° W
Are you saying that you are using a drill bit on the hole after making the hole to bevel the edge ?

Yes. I am using pre-punched Resurectors, I just act like I am going to drill the hole larger, but don't drill all the way through. This gives a slightly beveled edge. Sorry I should have stated my cartos are pre-punched. But even if I did drill my own, I would still do this as it works like a charm.

kidbeaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
New Auburn, WI
Ok... I drilled the cartos today on my drill press. The smallest bit I had in my big set of drill bits was a little bit bigger than the pre punched hole. It was no problem making the hole bigger. I pushed the drill bit up into the chuck only exposing about a 1/2". That way it would have a better chance at not breaking.
It didn't grab any of the filler material. I took my time drilling and was careful not to drill too deep.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
\ I have a saddle valve that I got from Lowes but it's not easy to use (for me anyway) no matter how tight I clamp the carto, the piercing needle keeps wanting to glance off the side of the carto instead of punching it down the middle. I can get it to work if I keep at it, but it's frustrating.

My Lowe's saddle valve came with a curved rubber piece with a hole. It fit into the inside and the piercing needle fits through it and keeps steady. The rubber piece also grips the carto so I don't have to clamp tight enough to press the carto out of shape. Maybe I got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread