Not open for further replies.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Hi all of my DIY friends!
I haven't been on here in a while because we started working on our house remodel. Then I got sick. Dizzy, short of breath, so very tired, palpitations, losing weight fast, couldn't sleep, and other symptoms. I couldn't walk to the restroom without being out of breath and exhausted, & would have to sit down & rest 1/2 way thru doing dishes, & taking me all day long to cook one meal because I had no energy or stamina...none, ALL not at all like me.

I am not one to go to a doctor if I can avoid it and take care of whatever with over the counter meds. But I couldn't take it anymore. I finally gave up and went to my PCP. First test she did was a blood oxygen level, it was 74. She ordered me on oxygen 24/7, and several inhalers. She did blood tests of course to check other things.

Results of initial blood tests revealed I am Hyperthyroid, & my Calcium is also high. The blood test thyroid levels were very high so that became priority. She then ordered a thyroid scan with uptake and a heart echo. The thyroid scan test my uptake was 92.5% (normal is 30%).

Confirmed...I have dangerously high thyroid levels, my heart rate is going nuts, hand tremors, hair falling out.

I have been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism Graves Disease. Graves disease is a autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid. I am now under the care of a Endocrinologist, Cardiologist, and Ophthalmologist. Endo for the thyroid, Cardo because my heart rate spiked at 248 one day and this disease can damage the heart, Optho because the Graves Disease part of it can attack the eyes with whats commonly termed as Thyroid Eye Disease.

I am also seeing a Pulmonary doctor because they found thru the Heart Echo test that I also have Moderate Pulmonary Hypertension. I have COPD and Thyroid Disease which they seem to think caused the PH. I'll have to have more tests done for the PH later.

I am on bed rest, no strenuous activity, avoid heat (real funny doc... I live in Texas! thank goodness it is wintertime right now), avoid stress, home oxygen 24/7, and bunch of meds including a beta blocker to help control my high heart rate and hand tremors. Before the beta blocker my resting heart rate was going up to 140, with the one spike of 200+.

The immediate goal is to get my thyroid levels down as fast as possible and try to avoid a Thyroid Storm. There are three treatment options; antithyroid meds & beta blockers, Radioactive Iodine (RAI) to kill the thyroid gland, or surgery to remove it. The RAI my Endo says she can't think about right now because my levels are dangerously high and must come down before she can attempt that. If she did it now it could cause the high amt of thyroid hormones to "dump" into my body and could throw me into a Thyroid Storm, which can be fatal. I agree, lets not do that right now then.

My thyroid gland is enlarged and affecting my vocal cords, I sound like I have a bad case of laryngitis. They won't say if my vocal cords will be permanently like this & damaged or not, too early to determine. The third option of surgery to remove the thyroid gland isn't an option right now because it is too enlarged.

The house remodel has been stopped (for now). I can't do anything to help Chris (my hubby), and I don't need the construction dust agitating my lungs, nor the noise. And too, we are scared to use the money right now worried about what might come next with my health. I haven't cooked a thing in weeks. :( Chris is very supportive & taking very good care of me & doing everything on top of his demanding job. He brings something home to eat for dinner, or cooks us up something quick. I soooo miss cooking, so ready to sling some flour up in here again! I go back to see my Cardiologist for 24hr holter monitor tests results tomorrow.

2012 isn't looking like a good year so far. :cry: The year is still early though, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude that my medical team will get all of this licked and I will be back to my old self again soon.

Sorry for the long post. I miss everyone, and wanted to stop in to say hello. I'll try to stop by as often as I can.

ps: I will most likely have a boat load of DIY supplies I'll need to part with soon. As soon as I am able to do anything besides go to doctors apptmts. I will post here when I can do it. It is a LOT of flavorings, and other diy supplies.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I'm a stranger to you, but I feel your pain and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I went through a similar experience about 13 years ago...not life threatening as yours is, but a sudden medical induced extreme lifestyle change that knocked an early 40s, vibrant, type a personality into a nearly housebound couch potato :( It's awful in so many ways, and one of those things you don't wish on anyone.

Thank goodness for the internet....do your best to stay connected (for me it's an ipad...very handy) to people, it helps a lot. And it's easy to get frustrated sometimes with yourself and what you can't do..go easy on yourself (you didn't ask for this) and thank God for the many things you still can. Every day I see or hear of people so much worse off than I...

Hope things get much better for you! :)

VapoVamp

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
N.C.
Rena....I'm new here, but, all ECF members are considered my family(sight unseen)(don't know if I'd want to lay eyes on some of em')LOL:laugh:KIDDING! On a very solomn note,,,,"Silver & Gold have I none...but such as I have.....rise and be blessed in JESUS name, Amen. And..Jesus said"Go thy way..YOUR(Rena your faith)has made you whole"Mark 10:52KJV. Rena,even when it looks the darkest, I pray you find comfort and encouragment in that we walk by faith, not by sight, sound or words. I pray peace and comfort be on you and yours in this time of trials and needs. May God bless & strengthen you, Rena. Can you see me in the vapehaze?

Last edited:

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Thanks. Convalescing 24/7 is so not me. My mind tells me to get up and do & go, but my body says otherwise. The two are disconnected atm. And you are so very correct. There are many with the very same illness I have that are so much worse for varying reason. My rear end gets tired of sitting or laying. That's hard to get use to for someone that is use to being on the go doing something all the time. I "want" to clean house, but can't. I "want" to go to the store and just walk around, but I can't. But this too shall pass. I hope sooner then the common 18 months of meds therapy. :) I'm in good spirits for the most part with staying positive. However the mood swings this causes...my poor hubby doesn't know if he should hide or hug me. Menopause was easier then this...I kid you not. lol.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Whatever you do, follow the doctors orders! Here's a healing prayer out to you and yours.

Gotta ask since you mentioned unloading your DIY supplies... how has this affected your vaping routine?

Best of wishes to ya!

Im still vaping. It's a possibility that they may insist I quit vaping (due to nicotine effects on various things in the body), IDK yet. Thank goodness I quit analogs 7 months ago. I don't have the energy to diy right now, and since I never really found a diy recipe I liked well enough as a all day vape, I don't feel up to experimenting with mixes. I've been buying premix which has been my all day vape for many months. Less stress to just order it and load my tanks.

But in short, so far I am still able to vape. IDK for how long. And yes, I am following every doctors order to the letter. I have no choice. My body won't let me do otherwise, nor will my hubby. ;)

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I'm so sorry to hear this Rena and hope your doctors get you stabilized quickly. All this time I thought you were just busy with your house remodel so this came as quite the shock to read. I was also hit with an autoimmune disorder several years ago that stopped me in my tracks and made me make lifestyle changes. I can tell you that you do adjust and life goes on...just differently. Any time you want to talk please feel free to contact me. :)

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Thanks GoodDog. I know about autoimmune disorders, I've had RA for 20+ years. It flares up kicks my rear, then is ok again. And your absolutely correct, there will be imminent lifestyle changes. One being a gluten free diet (which I know nothing about atm). I will adjust and keep on keeping on...as soon as they say I am off of best rest that is. :)

It's kinda funny/ironic that sometimes I'd want to just be lazy and veg all day on the sofa snuggled up with a blanket and good movies. Until they said it's a must. We want what we can't have. They now say I shouldn't have caffeine...which includes chocolate. I am craving chocolate like never before. LOL

Well...my Cardiologist office just called saying NOT to come in tomorrow, she now wants me to have a Nuclear Stress Test. :unsure: That's been scheduled and my test results apptmt rescheduled.

So Monday is the Endo's office for a mess load of lab work blood drawing session, Tuesday stress test. Fun fun. NOT! Why oh why can't I just go have some fun for a day as a way to get up off the sofa or out of bed! Or clean my house, or cook my husband a good meal. grrr! okay...that little vent party is out of my system. :oops:

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
Sorry to hear of all your troubles. I am in Texas for a another month or so. Right now I am in Galveston / Houston / Victoria / Mercedes areas. If you need a home cooked meal or 5 to take some stress off the hubby please let me know. I am more than willing to cook a few meals for your family. You just have to reheat them. Please get ahold.of.me.if I am in your area. I will also be in the Beaumont area.

Jeff

custom signature goes here___________________ :)

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Thanks Bams! I think we are covered for right now. My hubby is funny about some things. Too proud & often too stubborn really. In his eyes I am 110% his responsibility. Other then my kids, he insists on being the one to do whatever has to be done. Can't fault a man that truly takes care of his family. :) I deeply appreciate the offer. If I do need ya for a meal or 5, I will surely let you know. Your a sweetheart!

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
I can't fault the hubby I am the same way. The offer will always be on the table. So to speak. Lol

Give him a quick peak at this picture. Lol
We call this Bam's ravioli lasagna

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329423466124.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329423466124.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 21

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I can't fault the hubby I am the same way. The offer will always be on the table. So to speak. Lol

Give him a quick peak at this picture. Lol
We call this Bam's ravioli lasagna

Bams.....you're such a honey. Next time you're in OH you can come cook for me ;) (kidding)

After a couple of days...I'm sorry, I just gotta ask.....

".................

what's up with the sig?! ??

Sorry to go ot.

-----------------------------------------
And why is it when we're suffering most doctors have us running all over God's green earth for tests, office visits, etc?!!! I think it should be a prerequisite for all doctors to have to experience extreme pain, lethargy, etc before they're allowed to start practicing :(

Sorry...one of my pet peeves.

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
As for the signature I am using tapatalk on my phone. Gotta change it. Lol

I like to cook and when I was a kid my grandpa God rest his soul taught us to help out those in need even if you don't have a lot yourself. He use to have us help him weed a garden that he planted for other people. So when I cook for.other people, its something I enjoy doing and I get to help others. A warm full belly always makes the spirit warm up as well. Hint hint. Lol

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
Rkay,I hope your doing okay.I know how you feel about the bedrest.Its horrible but needs to be done. We are here for you.Its amazing how lonley it gets being stuck indoors alone.Just pop on here and say hello,it helps. Its the only thing that kept me going last year. (((Hugs!))) Try to rest and let your body heal itself.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Rkayw...get better and listen to your doctors. If you have to quit vaping, start stepping your nic level down now. It's easier to do than you think. Even try just vaping 0nic and alternating it with what you're using.

If I were you, take bams up on the cooking offer...those dishes look yummy. I "wish" my hubby could cook but he can't unless you like chewing on a car tire.

Take care of yourself and please stay in contact.

You and your family are in my prayers. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
I agree Boston. It's also a pet peeve of mine that they make you come in to tell you tests are normal. Why can't they tell you that on the phone and say there is no need to come in. Not that that has happened with this illness, but in general. It has happened to me before with routine check ups.

Doctors are notoriously very bad patients. But expect us to be all yes to anything they say. Well, I have a different view. I am and always will be my own best advocate for any health issues. Will fire a doc quick and hire another just like 'em. Some doctors don't like a patient asking questions, or researching their illness to gain self knowledge of what's going on with their body. Don't get me wrong, you absolutely need to be able to trust your doctor. I can trust one a lot more when I have full knowledge of what's happening to me. I always tell any doctor on the first visit to them...just tell me upfront because trust me...I WILL look it up when I get home & I WILL get copies of everything done. lol. So far I really like all of my team of new docs treating me for this disease. All are on top of their game with this so far, and seem to be straight forward to the point let's do this type of approach. No fooling around so far. We'll see how I feel about them down the road from now. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread