Why is it considered unsafe to go by your batteries pulse rating when building on a mech?

cambford91

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2022
United States
Ok, so the way I understand it. The cdr of a battery is the amp limit if the battery is going to be used for an extended amount of time all the way down to the empty or a good portion of the charge used at once, hence continuous discharge rate. When I build lower on a mech mod I take about a 1 to 1.5 second draw. Isn't that basically a pulse? So how is it unsafe?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
It might be "ok" if you don't exceed the current rating. Maybe. Or not, in which case be ready to toss it onto some cement.

A pulse discharge rating is any use above the continuous discharge rating. It is never safe and not within the intended operating parameters of the battery. You should not operate your device above the continuous rating if you can help it. The pulse rating is a condition in which the battery is on basically a buildup to failure.

There is no specification standard in the manufacturing industry for pulse discharge due to the many factors that can affect the rate. Using the continuous current rate is widely accepted as far safer.

So nobody knows what that pulse rating really is...

CDR – The maximum current at which the battery can be discharged continuously and safely per manufacturer testing without damaging the battery. Pushing a battery to limits beyond it's ability will greatly increase the risk for battery failure.

Pulse Rating - The maximum current at which the battery can be discharged for a short period of time without damaging the battery or reducing its capacity.

We avoid using any pulse ratings as there are far too many factors to consider when pulsing a battery such as pulse length, time at rest between pulses and battery temperature to accurately compare two batteries. For these reasons, we use the CDR rating which is the current rating at which the battery can be continuously discharged at safely without overheating or damaging the cell.

IF the maker is telling the truth, and not just wanting to sell batteries.

Why not just get the ones that can handle the load you put on them? Easy enough to determine from the value you build to.

Exceeded the pulse rate:

1701383294307.jpeg

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
with batteries for vapes, i never go by what a manufacturer "states" about their batteries...... ever

i always go by what the Battery Expert reports after extensively testing cells, Mooch

always....... in a Mech....... use a battery that can Safely Handle the Build..........
using something less, you're just asking for Trouble...........

good luck!!!

cambford91

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2022
United States
am curious to know the details of the build being used on the mech...........
I usually build .1 fused claptons, but I just couldnt get a hot enough vape, i then talked to someone on reddit, who builds down to .08 simple round wire dual parallel. So I did that for while, with a molicel p45b, but honestly I really didn't feel safe. I made sure the batteries never got hot tho, but i was thinking about it today and figured id ask, i actually sold my mech and tried to get into boros, but don't like them much, now im trying to sell those and get a mech back haha

cambford91

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2022
United States
with batteries for vapes, i never go by what a manufacturer "states" about their batteries...... ever

i always go by what the Battery Expert reports after extensively testing cells, Mooch

always....... in a Mech....... use a battery that can Safely Handle the Build..........
using something less, you're just asking for Trouble...........

good luck!!!
Yea I always went by mooches true amp ratings, but I just couldnt get a good vape man, then I talked to so
It might be "ok" if you don't exceed the current rating. Maybe. Or not, in which case be ready to toss it onto some cement.

A pulse discharge rating is any use above the continuous discharge rating. It is never safe and not within the intended operating parameters of the battery. You should not operate your device above the continuous rating if you can help it. The pulse rating is a condition in which the battery is on basically a buildup to failure.

There is no specification standard in the manufacturing industry for pulse discharge due to the many factors that can affect the rate. Using the continuous current rate is widely accepted as far safer.

So nobody knows what that pulse rating really is...

CDR – The maximum current at which the battery can be discharged continuously and safely per manufacturer testing without damaging the battery. Pushing a battery to limits beyond it's ability will greatly increase the risk for battery failure.

Pulse Rating - The maximum current at which the battery can be discharged for a short period of time without damaging the battery or reducing its capacity.

We avoid using any pulse ratings as there are far too many factors to consider when pulsing a battery such as pulse length, time at rest between pulses and battery temperature to accurately compare two batteries. For these reasons, we use the CDR rating which is the current rating at which the battery can be continuously discharged at safely without overheating or damaging the cell.

IF the maker is telling the truth, and not just wanting to sell batteries.

Why not just get the ones that can handle the load you put on them? Easy enough to determine from the value you build to.

Exceeded the pulse rate:

View attachment 1004544
Oh I see, I figured the states pulse ratings were accurate, at least from the more trusted companies like molicel and Samsung, but I guess it is take chances on the word of strangers. I can say though the p45b is one hell of a cell. I built a little lower on it a couple times than I probably should have and it never even got warm, but of course i wasn't chain vaping it.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Been using mech mods sense 2010, and have never had any kind of battery problem.
    Simple reason for that. Being SAFE comes first.
    So ......... I have never done a build that would exceed 50% of the batteries rated CDR.
    Just remember, ... not all batteries are new!! And, as the mAh decrease over time, so does the CDR.

I don't care how low a resistance a person wants to use. That's their choice.
    Only .. do it with a nice regulated mod that was made for it.

We have already had enough bad publicity from folks doing stupid stuff with mech mods!!

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    Been using mech mods sense 2010, and have never had any kind of battery problem.
    Simple reason for that. Being SAFE comes first.
    So ......... I have never done a build that would exceed 50% of the batteries rated CDR.
    Just remember, ... not all batteries are new!! And, as the mAh decrease over time, so does the CDR.

I don't care how low a resistance a person wants to use. That's their choice.
    Only .. do it with a nice regulated mod that was made for it.

We have already had enough bad publicity from folks doing stupid stuff with mech mods!!
    I don't really plan on doing it, I mean I have before, but I actually don't think I like mechs I've had 2 and sold them both within a month. I can't get a hot enough vape from them. It was really just an honest question I've had in my head foe months, since I had my last mech and was reading up about batteries!

Reactions: DavidOck

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    Because pulse ratings are...

1. Set for a specific set of parameters.

or

2. Are utter bullsht and for marketing purposes (you find this mostly in the retail/rewrap brands rather than the OEM brands).
    I use molicels exclusively, and I go by mooches cdr, but I always assumed the 45amp.limit they listed was the pulse rating, I've never used any rewraps like hohm or anything like but yes thanks for the information!

Reactions: DavidOck

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    You're kidding .. right.

Man I can fry your eye lids with a 2.0 ohm coil on a mech mod!!!!!
    Well I wish someone would teach me how to build one one. I was using fused claptons, 26g core, that didn't work so I started using triple core 28, thought the thinner wire would heat up faster. Still no good, that was in my nightmare 28. The only way I got a hot vape was 24gauge dual parallel regular round wire. I had to move down to a 24mm atty with that build I gotta the kind of vape I get out of my regulated mods.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    a molicel p45b

1 battery at 4.2v charge at 0.1ohm is 176W+ and 42A.

and get a mech back haha

couldnt get a hot enough vape

I think you should look into a dual or triple 21700 regulated mod instead, but the offerings are slim. compared to just a few years ago. But I'm sure there are some DNA mods you can find or get a custom mod.

Well I wish someone would teach me how to build one one

Understand that some people like tj vape high ohm on very thin wire (prolly 30 or 32g). Thin wire coils heat up quick and can get quite hot...but "hot vape" is subjective. 35W on 28 or 26g single coil is way too hot for me.

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    1 battery at 4.2v charge at 0.1ohm is 176W+ and 42A.

I think you should look into a dual or triple 21700 regulated mod instead, but the offerings are slim. compared to just a few years ago. But I'm sure there are some DNA mods you can find or get a custom mod.

Understand that some people like tj vape high ohm on very thin wire (prolly 30 or 32g). Thin wire coils heat up quick and can get quite hot...but "hot vape" is subjective. 35W on 28 or 26g single coil is way too hot for me.
    I actually have a Dovpo riva DNA 250c, also have a pulse v2 I use for lower wattages. Well low to me is 95 watts lol, I just like mech and having to build a certain resistance to get the wattage I need. Just something to keep me.preoccupied ya know. I actually bought another tube since I made this post. I had it vaping pretty great from an rta, but couldn't get any of my rdas to vape well, so I've already sold it back lol, I just bought a saga dual series mech box from valers cloud, I should be able to get a hot vape from that lmao

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I just bought a saga dual series mech box from valers cloud, I should be able to get a hot vape from that lmao

Was gonna suggest that but I figured you already tried it at some point or didn't wanna go 8.4v.

I had it vaping pretty great from an rta, but couldn't get any of my rdas to vape well,

strange to me

Users who are viewing this thread