Why coils heat from the center out

Status
Not open for further replies.

asknoble

Feb 22, 2016
I've seen a few theories posted on why this occurs which have been partially correct. The posts are heat sinks at the end of the coil, although this is not sound theory for such an exaggerated heating from the center of the coil. If we were to heat an entire dripper to 1400F and attach a long thick length of wire between the positive and negative posts, the wire will still heat from center outward, (ignoring the wire immediately adjacent to the posts). Why? Because our wires are thermally conductive and heat transfer occurs through conduction as well as convection in a coil while the wire is producing heat energy linearly (not a linear temperature) at the same time creating the ramp bell curve of temperature over the length of wire. This relationship is inversely proportional with the thermal conductivity of, and the square of the diameter, per length, of wire used. Another way to think of it is that the wire itself is increasing it's own temperature by a given amount per watt above what the existing temperature already is.. Imagine a 3" length of wire where if the center 1" of wire increased 1F/sec, and the two on each side also increased 1F/sec, the center portion will increase it's temperature above the temperature increase given to it by the 1" from the left and right, vice from the edge of the wire with less heat transferred to it compare the the center length with two 1" legs on each end. In reality, this last example doesn't actually work really well since there are not 3 divisions of resistive wire lengths creating heat, but a near infinite division of segments heating wire producing and transfering that heat to the next guy. So that's why! :) I won't beat a dead horse on why the coil legs wont glow, that is the post heat sink's fault.

Fun Fact: temperature bell curves graphed out between uranium matrices, cladding, and coolant looks just like a Darth Vader helmet! (and would for our coils as well) :)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Nice theory buried in that wall o text.
Break a post into paragraphs and it will be easier to read.

Ther are a few contributing factors:

As the entire coil heats up, the outer edges are cooled by air while the radiant heat it sandwiched between coils near the center.

Peak resistance is in the center of the coil, and that where it heats first.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
I've seen a few theories posted on why this occurs which have been partially correct. The posts are heat sinks at the end of the coil, although this is not sound theory for such an exaggerated heating from the center of the coil. If we were to heat an entire dripper to 1400F and attach a long thick length of wire between the positive and negative posts, the wire will still heat from center outward, (ignoring the wire immediately adjacent to the posts). Why? Because our wires are thermally conductive and heat transfer occurs through conduction as well as convection in a coil while the wire is producing heat energy linearly (not a linear temperature) at the same time creating the ramp bell curve of temperature over the length of wire. This relationship is inversely proportional with the thermal conductivity of, and the square of the diameter, per length, of wire used. Another way to think of it is that the wire itself is increasing it's own temperature by a given amount per watt above what the existing temperature already is.. Imagine a 3" length of wire where if the center 1" of wire increased 1F/sec, and the two on each side also increased 1F/sec, the center portion will increase it's temperature above the temperature increase given to it by the 1" from the left and right, vice from the edge of the wire with less heat transferred to it compare the the center length with two 1" legs on each end. In reality, this last example doesn't actually work really well since there are not 3 divisions of resistive wire lengths creating heat, but a near infinite division of segments heating wire producing and transfering that heat to the next guy. So that's why! :) I won't beat a dead horse on why the coil legs wont glow, that is the post heat sink's fault.

Fun Fact: temperature bell curves graphed out between uranium matrices, cladding, and coolant looks just like a Darth Vader helmet! (and would for our coils as well) :)
image.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Hi asknoble and welcome to ECF!

So I think you're saying that if you have three coils really close to each other the center coil will get the hottest, the two outer coils will run at a lower temperature and the legs will be the coolest. Please correct me if I got that wrong :)

I'm not going to touch on what's happening when the legs get the hottest because that's a completely different issue.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas

6589f5b31caaef319d51b612757d6f9f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread