Why are Governments trying to BAN e-cigs when they are actually helping people!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
...end the Federal subsidy of crop insurance for Big tobacco...
What do tobacco growers have to do with Big Tobacco?

...when your products cause billions of dollars of harm to Americans and their health?
Again, are you talking about tobacco growers or Big Tobacco?

Tobacco does not cause nearly any harm to Americans.
Although smoking it certainly appears to.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
When two parties sit down to negotiate a compromise, they start by asking for everything.
They start from a position of strength.

To do anything other than that would be like walking into a fight with one arm tied behind your back.
I just read a book by a long time FBI negotiator. This was not mentioned. What was mentioned was finding common ground and building from there. It also mentioned empathy (even feigned empathy) as a good way to alleviate distrust in a negotiation. Just saying, posturing was sort of a no no in this guy's book.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I just read a book by a long time FBI negotiator. This was not mentioned. What was mentioned was finding common ground and building from there. It also mentioned empathy (even feigned empathy) as a good way to alleviate distrust in a negotiation. Just saying, posturing was sort of a no no in this guy's book.
I could certainly see where negotiating for hostages would utilize a different set of rules than negotiating in other environments.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
What do you feel would be too much to ask for as a starting point in negotiations?

It no doubt depends on local conditions. A few suggestions:

* Remove restrictions on vaping in planes / petrol stations
* Requirement to provide vaping areas in public buildings, or simply to allow vaping throughout
* No age limits for nicotine
* No limits for strength of e-liquid / nic base

Here, I'd say a good starting point might be;

* Age restrictions equivalent to smoking, for nicotine liquid
* Allow internet and in person sales with proper age verification
* Continuation of low-key (safety only) regulation
* Right of business owners to decide whether / where / how to accept vaping

But that's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are flaws / points I've missed...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It no doubt depends on local conditions. A few suggestions:

* Remove restrictions on vaping in planes / petrol stations
* Requirement to provide vaping areas in public buildings, or simply to allow vaping throughout
* No age limits for nicotine
* No limits for strength of e-liquid / nic base

Here, I'd say a good starting point might be;

* Age restrictions equivalent to smoking, for nicotine liquid
* Allow internet and in person sales with proper age verification
* Continuation of low-key (safety only) regulation
* Right of business owners to decide whether / where / how to accept vaping

But that's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are flaws / points I've missed...
Okay, that's reasonable and kind of what I meant by asking for everything.
When I said asking for everything I really meant asking for everything that we feel that we need and deem reasonable.

I would also add to your list...
--No restriction of flavors

I guess the one place we disagree, then, is the idea of what we should be asking for in terms of where we can vape.

I would start by asking for vaping indoors without restriction.
But I would be willing to accept a compromise of no restrictions outdoors.

I think going into any negotiations saying that we accept we can't vape indoors is like asking to get bent over.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I could certainly see where negotiating for hostages would utilize a different set of rules than negotiating in other environments.

True. I can only say he makes good money on book tours and consulting businesses on negotiating strategy. Not sure how much he's altered that strategy from one occupation to the other so I'm not going to speculate.

I think going into any negotiations saying that we accept we can't vape indoors is like asking to get bent over.
Oh no. I don't think it would be wise to start with such an offering. But, you use it as leverage. You find out something that they want and use your willingness to give way on indoor smoking as a bargaining chip. Each side is going to assign a value to each demand based on importance. That's when it gets fun. You can have a low-value demand but pretend it's high-value in order to get more out of it so long as you don't get your bluff called. It's poker with lives. No wonder it seems like high-stakes negotiators have a God-complex.

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Okay, that's reasonable and kind of what I meant by asking for everything.
When I said asking for everything I really meant asking for everything that we feel that we need and deem reasonable.

I would also add to your list...
--No restriction of flavors

I'd say that's included (to the extent it should be) under the 'safety only regulations'.

I guess the one place we disagree, then, is the idea of what we should be asking for in terms of where we can vape.

I would start by asking for vaping indoors without restriction.
But I would be willing to accept a compromise of no restrictions outdoors.

We should surely respect businesses right to decide for themselves, so I assume you mean in state / local authority owned buildings?

That's going to be a sticky subject. And I could see the logic of going in asking for "It's fine, do it anywhere"... But I wouldn't expect to win it.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I honestly don't think the FDA or government have enough credibility to risk over e-cigs. At least, from a big brother trying to protect you stand point. I do think there will have to be a compromise between our right to vape and someone else's right to not be exposed to something if they choose not to. I mean, one groups rights shouldn't outweigh another's. That's why I think people as individuals should be afforded the leeway to work this out among themselves.
"Mind if I vape here?"
"Yes"
<moves one step over>"Here?"
"Yes"
<another step> "Here?"
"Yes"
<another step>"Here?"
"Fine, whatever."
:vapor:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I hear a Lot of Talk of Negotiating from a Position of Strength.

That is a Great Strategy. But it is Usually reserved for the Side that Has the Strength, and not the Side that Doesn't.

If a Person was to sit down and List All the Strengths and All the Things that a Group like Vapers has to Offer, I think an Emotionally De-Void person would see that it is Kinda a Short List.

But there are a Few.

The Questions is, Would the Average Vaper be willing to Give Up something to Get Something?

Or is it All or Nothing?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
When two parties sit down to negotiate a compromise, they start by asking for everything.
They start from a position of strength.

Yes, BUT with the understanding is that once the "bluffing" and posturing part is over, that when the REAL negotiations start, both sides will have to give up something in order to get something.......get what they want.

And, in the real world, the reasonable ones are prepared to do that. Because they know there is no other way.

Gerry Spence and tons of other successful trial attorney's have written exxtensively on the art of negotiation.

I hear a Lot of Talk of Negotiating from a Position of Strength.

That is a Great Strategy. But it is Usually reserved for the Side that Has the Strength, and not the Side that Doesn't.?

ah yes, then there is that.

The truth is that, in most every negotiation, both sides pretty much know in advance what cards each other are holding. I mean, it's not like a high stakes poker game or anything.

Everyone already knows, and thus, part of the REAL art of being a successful negotiator is to *know* this, and somehow manage to make a deal that is still prettty decent.

But a reasonable deal. Not all or nothing. Esp. if you have "less" to offer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread