• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

where to go and vape in Chi town

Status
Not open for further replies.

bssage

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
Iowa
I was hoping there would be a list of vape friendly hangouts around the Chicago area. I am a trainman who lands in Bridgeview every couple of days. We are going to move us to Joliet in short order.

I know in Bridgview

X's and O's is vape friendly

So far All Star is not. I plan on asking the owner so this may change.

I thought maybe we could create a list. It also might help to get some places on the vape friendly list if they know we have on. I hate getting all set to go only to find out the place is going to make me hang out outside.

bssage

Why the concern. It's not illegal.
Most anyplace I go I vape, and do so discretely around kids. Never had an establishment yet talk to me, except out of interest and curiosity. Always positive.
Are you all running up against opposition?

I'm in the N/W burbs

No one has ever stopped me except to ask what it was to be honest...

Green.
I ask again, where are you running into opposition?
I get that some might look at you funny (they look at me funny, but I'm told I'm strange anyways..ha), but do some establishments out and out tell you to NOT vape?

I also get some might be out and out positive...but I haven't hit any negatives so far....but I've never been in a group of (say) 10 or more fogging their place up, either. (sounds fun, actually)

Pig

TheGreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The last time we have a issue was at our last meet. The manager asked if we would stop vaping at 6pm as the customers coming in for dinner might not appreciate "seeing" the smoke like vapor. This really ticked me off as he was more that happy to have us. Not 10 minutes after we spoke, a table of 3 women asked "what we were doing." Turns out 2 of them were school principals and the other a teacher. They had lots of questions and of course we were all happy to answer.
All 3 women left the bar area with a better understanding and went to the manager and explained the vapor did not bother them in any way.
Aside from that, I vape discretely in restaurants so I haven't had any other problems with vaping indoors. I always get questioned but after talking with me they understand. I'll be sure to post if I ever run into an .......

Thanks. I have not had any run in's and is why I commented.
As well I am semi discrete and try to avoid doing the "Vape Thing" around children, but the reality is I had been taxed into oblivion and thrown out into the cold, so I might say I'm a little miffed, overall, and when the restaurant and bar associations in Illinois wouldn't stand up for their establishments prior to the smoking ban, when it happened I (and friends) crossed into the "Cheddar Curtain" and enjoyed ourselves in the land of the free, until the plague attacked that state as well (at least they fought hard).

So don't mind me if I'm a slight bit more vocal and forward about this issue. I don't do this "Underground !" I won't get argumentative , but will make it clear the e-cig is not harmful, and I really don't care what patrons think. They didn't care about me in the past, and we avoided them in our own section(smoking). I understand establishment owners concerns, but I also understand if they own a establishment, they need to be proactive to find out what we are doing...just ask...we'll thoroughly explain. Most vapers understand the basics.

If they would be so kind, they can sit us in a separate area.
Refuse my right to vape...wether it's the right of the property/establishment owner or not, if I'm refuse, I go on and make it a point to inform them I will never return to their fine restaurant/bar, and will inform others about it.

Just sayin!
I'm a Pig

I vaped in front of our Chief Of Police here in town. I hadn't met him before, and as I'm standing there in the Police/Village office complex, I never put it down, and just kept at it. The Chief was intrigued, and it was a good icebreaker in meeting him.

I will not vape in front of children for the most part and then I get discrete, but otherwise, I am not going to get stomped on again.

bssage

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
Iowa
Why the concern. It's not illegal.
Most anyplace I go I vape, and do so discretely around kids. Never had an establishment yet talk to me, except out of interest and curiosity. Always positive.
Are you all running up against opposition?

I'm in the N/W burbs

I had one bar that said noway. The reason was the first person to approach them was aggressive and from that point on they would not budge.. I have never returned.

I generally ask out of courtesy. As you know they can refuse service for any reason, law or not. It also gives me a reason for a quick visit and be a ambassador of good will with the barkeep.

No your not breaking a law. But you dont have to be, to get asked to leave.

You should also understand that violations of the smoking ban result in fines and possibly the revocation of license to serve. While we know Vaping is not in violation of the law. They may not. You cant fault someone (at least I cant) for protecting their livelihood.

IMO If someone says no. Fine move to another bar. There is no shortage of them in the Chi area.

bssage
Simply they will loose my business and those who I talk to. Their loss.
Correct, every establishment owner can make their own call....so can I . I take my money elsewhere, and those who might go with me. Not without politely making it clear to the owner(not some flunky manager). And that is key...talking to the owner.
There is no fine/ticket in Illinois for vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread