• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

When it came really down to it, would your pet defend you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
I have a weiner/pitbull mix that is the sweetest wimpiest little thing.When a big,mean dog tried to attack me on our nightly walk,my baby jumped in front of me and hunkered down to stop that big dog from getting me.I was so impressed!!I had to kick the big dog to stop him from biting my baby,but I know my baby tried to save me.We both survived without a scratch!!

iamdougm

ECF Veteran
I'm sure my girl (in the picture to the left) would try to lick you to death. But she realizes it's MY job to protect HER. I'm the leader, the guy that puts food in her bowl, shows her which direction to go when we're walking, leads her out the door, etc. She may even help the burglar carry the TV out the door!

I should have taught her to bark on command. At 90 #'s, that could be a bit intimidating.

Lil' Lou

Aug 8, 2010
Central NY
I'm sure my girl (in the picture to the left) would try to lick you to death. But she realizes it's MY job to protect HER. I'm the leader, the guy that puts food in her bowl, shows her which direction to go when we're walking, leads her out the door, etc. She may even help the burglar carry the TV out the door!

LOL - I think our dogs might be related!

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
definatly! My sheperd, the big black mix & the boxer would and have. even my little snhauzer would bark and maybe nip. I live in a very BAD part of a very bad town. They are my security system. No one really wants to tangle with this pack, not even the crack heads. They might be able to overcome one dog, but not four. I can't keep guns in the house due to my psychotic teen, so they are a safe and effective deterrent.

jwquantrell

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Auburn, WA

Butterfly

Sep 16, 2010
Colorado
My cat Ollie, who I call my dog already has attacked someone for me, lol.
I had an ex boyfriend show up here at my motel the other day, Ollie was outside chillin on the picnic table as I cleaned rooms. I heard him make a bunch of noise getting off the table and then heard him growling and hissing at someone. He has a wicked whine howl about him when he's mad that I'd never heard before. Then a guy starts yelling and I pop my head out of the room I was cleaning to see whats going on. My little Ollie (who will be a year old on the 28th in fact) Well he was wrapped around the guys leg scratching and biting and climbing very quickly to a sensitive area. I thought he was going to eat him!! The Ex couldnt move fast enough or shake hard enough to get him off his leg. I yelled at him and he jumped off and ran to hide under a truck and the ex boyfriend just kept swearing and walked off.
LOL. I dont know why he was here but Ollie sure didnt want him around! Hahaha, I love my babies!

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
Just two words ......

Dobies rule! :toast:

To the OP, yes, Titus would protect any of his pack.

Regards
Jim

We've had various numbers of Dobes for something like 12 years now, and we talk about this from time to time. Of the several that have come and gone over the years, I think the older of our two present females, Rosie, is the one with the most protective instinct to rip an aggressive intruder a new one. Others, particularly the one male we had maybe not so much.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
Cats are Very smart creatures. Yeah for Ollie! Open that boy a can of tuna!
I have been known to judge a potential boyfriend by how my cat likes him and vice versa. Dogs like to believe the best about people if you've let the person into the house. Cats aren't fooled as easily. I've always thought that the way a person treats an animal is indicative of how they would treat my kids and me.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
When I was growing up we had a scotty named Mac (not an assclown, by the way).

He was so protective that when we got gas in the cars (it was that time long ago when the gas was always pumped for you) he would follow the service station attendant around the car windows snarling and growling all the way.

No one ever came into our backyard uninvited either.

My border collie, Robyn, would bark at anyone or any dog on our ranch property until I told her they were OK. Even then she would "keep an eye" on them until they left.

Now, I have 2 cats.
I don't think flopping on peoples feet is considered "guarding" is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread