Whats all the fuss about the Boro / billetbox things?

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
Europe
Ok first of all, I do have one, but I hardly vape it, have simple replaceble coils.

I do get it they look cool, but it is soooo much back to basics.

Rubber filling holes, or worse sliding windows. Try that while driving.

Alot of boro's are so back to basic, I have even seen one with stainles wicking cables (genisis style)?. I tried those in the past, the flavor was ok, but soo finicky!

I am now waching GrimmGreens Kayvun Boro redemtion video, and what I see is that you need to touch everything of that boro wich then goes into you juice that goes into your longs, I think you should not or at least try to minimize skin contact with anything that touches your liquid. I remember the stale musty flavor if you put too much skin grease on your wicks.

And I see a lot of juice inside the billetboxes, it is just messy, why are they so popular?

Waiting for the video to end to see if he likes the keyvun Boro now.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yeah I personally have no interest in and see not much value in a boro AIO thingamajigs. They seem to be popular mostly among the mid level high end crowd mostly. Just another niche within a niche.

Personally I'd buy a pod system before I'd buy a boro. That's just me.

Oh, Those were good in the past, vaped those a lot, but now mainly the normal KayfunV5. I think the cartomizer was the ancestor of the now popular BVC coils.

Disposables are all basically cartotanks that don't look like cartotanks. Or at least 90% of them are. They are just cartomizers inside a kidalicious package.

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    I think I agree with you, I did buy a lot of vapes and mods, even stuff that was obsolete for years, just because I liked to have it for my "museum", for that same reason I bought a billetbox (clone). And it looks nice, but it is not really handy to use.

Never opened the new disposables. I am from the old days where disposables where just carto's. The newer ones do have a tank?

and yes, I know there are even older days.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Like most things "vape", these are very personal decisions. I like the original Billet Boxes (prior to the DNA chip) because they vape almost as smooth as a mech, but can be fixed at my preferred voltage. They're also small and light.

Not a huge fan of the newer ones, but I'm a low wattage vaper (10-12w).

So, there's no "correct" answer to the question. Why do some folks like beer but others prefer bourbon? Our tastes buds and preferences remain unique, thankfully. If someone really likes something, I'd recommend they get it. If not, nobody pays me to sell stuff. I'll share my opinions, but we ALL know what THAT's worth.

The only pod I use regularly is the Nautilus AIO, mainly because I like and own a bunch of the coils, and it's fixed at around 13-14w. Just for dog walks or quick trips out. For any duration, I'm still going to opt for one of my other options, some of which are also small & light.

ONCE in a while, I use a...what are those ephin' things again? CALIBURN! That's the one. :blush: VERY rarely for that one. Maybe when I'm working with my hands or something, or jumping outside.

I highly doubt I'll be buying much of anything over the next decade. If I'm still breathing and vaping at that point, I'll see what's out there, or keep using what I have. When I leave this body, there will be things left for the other four vapers in my family.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    The choices of vape gear all comes down to personal preferences. What's better / what's not........ I rarely, if ever, wade into the unfathomable depths of those waters. It's a zero-sum game.

What I know factually is this, AIO/Boro mods are very VERY popular. At this point, I certainly would not call it a niche market. Many units, low-end to high-end are scooped up quickly. All one needs to do is browse the many AIO/Boro Facebook groups to see exactly how popular they truly are.

The many bridges for them, and their many accessories, are highly sought after.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    The choices of vape gear all comes down to personal preferences. What's better / what's not........ I rarely, if ever, wade into the unfathomable depths of those waters. It's a zero-sum game.

What I know factually is this, AIO/Boro mods are very VERY popular. At this point, I certainly would not call it a niche market. Many units, low-end to high-end are scooped up quickly. All one needs to do is browse the many AIO/Boro Facebook groups to see exactly how popular they truly are.

Between those and SbS mods, I feel like some folks have a LOT of either or both. I know who has the most boro stuff (anyone in those FB groups does too), but SbS ownership hasn't been quite as easy to identify.

SOME folks own a LOT though!!! :lol:

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

I guess having a choice of bridges is part of the appeal.

In my case I was bored after vaping with the same gear for years, just felt like trying something new and different. I got two and always have one going, They are fussy to use. The vape isn't better or worse than regular mod/tank setups. I keep them on my desk because I worry about dropping them,

I knew a guy about 5 years ago. He started vaping to quit the cigs and gave himself 6 months. Then he threw his gear in the trash. He was very practical. He got one mod and tank. I suspect a large % of the folks here have at least a touch of hobby to their vaping. If it's a hobby your choices don't have to have practical reasons behind them.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I believe it is OK to ask questions about, or express opinions about, various vape gear. After all, diversity of beliefs, tastes and opinions is good. After all, this forum's engagement has dwindled to majority non-vape convo so why not accept it lol

Also, "niche" doesn't mean unpopular. In a product and marketing context it simply means a specialized market. Vape is a niche that fits within a broader product market and all vape gear fits within a niche of the vape gear niche as a whole. So boro is a niche within a niche, squonk is a niche within a niche, pods are a niche within a niche, etc, etc, etc. Some niches with in a niche have a larger marcket share than others, however that doesn't mean other niches are necessarily "unpopular", though they usually do have a smaller marketshare within the broader niche.

Nicotine Market
    • Leaf, Combustibles​
    ◘Cigarette​
    ◘Cigar​
    ◘Pipe​
    • Leaf, Non-combustibles​
    ◘Chew/Dip​
    ◘Snuff​
    • Vaping​
    ◘Open system​
    ♦ 510/threaded​
    ♣ Regulated​
    ○ Squonk​
    ♣ Mechanical/non-regulated​
    ○ Squonk​
    ♦ Boro​
    ♦ Pod​
    ◘Closed system​
    ♦ Pod​
    ♦ Disposables​

And so on. Some of these can all be broken down into tighter niches, as well, markets and their niches can be configured in any which way fit for context and/or business model.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Xr0.gif

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    I guess having a choice of bridges is part of the appeal.

In my case I was bored after vaping with the same gear for years, just felt like trying something new and different. I got two and always have one going, They are fussy to use. The vape isn't better or worse than regular mod/tank setups. I keep them on my desk because I worry about dropping them,

It do see the pro's as in looking nice and compact, it is versatile when you look at all the options for it and maybe that Kayfun Boro probably tastes awesome, Its just not versatile in use imo, or as you say, fussy. That being said, I still bought one back in the day, it just is standing there looking nice.

Maybe because I tried all of those fussy things in the past in traditional rebuildables, so I don't want that anymore. I still love watching videos of it, or any retro vape for that matter.

Every time I see that old tech, I love my topfill kayfun 5 (witch is becoming old too) more and more. I like the recessed filling grate, so easy to fill in the dark, in the rollercoaster upside down. ok maybe not for that last part. And there are probably people who can do that with their billetboxes (or do I need to say AIO's)

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    It do see the pro's as in looking nice and compact, it is versatile when you look at all the options for it and maybe that Kayfun Boro probably tastes awesome, Its just not versatile in use imo, or as you say, fussy. That being said, I still bought one back in the day, it just is standing there looking nice.

Maybe because I tried all of those fussy things in the past in traditional rebuildables, so I don't want that anymore. I still love watching videos of it, or any retro vape for that matter.

Every time I see that old tech, I love my topfill kayfun 5 (witch is becoming old too) more and more. I like the recessed filling grate, so easy to fill in the dark, in the rollercoaster upside down. ok maybe not for that last part. And there are probably people who can do that with their billetboxes (or do I need to say AIO's)
    FYI. I got a Kayfun Boro insert and it tastes pretty good. Just like my ancient KFL's. Nothing new under the sun.

My SXK BB's were the most expensive mods in my collection. Just topped out the Provari Goldie by a few bucks. I got a lot of stuff but mostly didn't pay much for it.

Users who are viewing this thread