what voltage should batteries come off a charger? and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

solardrgn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2009
socal
just started using a VV evo. i did read through most battery discussions, but that was some time ago when i thought i'd never get a mod so i'd like to double check.
im using two protected AW ICR 123 750mAh 3.7v. what voltage should they come off the charger (4.2v?)and cut-off in the device (3.2v?) i know that batteries should always be used in pairs and not mixed, but do they need to have the same charge? and should it be exact?
what other batteries can i use and what is best to use? and possible where to get them
the charger it comes with is crap so i also need a new one. what is a good, not necessarily the best (like a pila charger) around $20 or less that can charge most sizes. i wouldn't really need more than 2 channels either

i know its a lot but this forum has made me a little more paranoid about batteries than i'd like haha

thank you

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
4.2V would be the highest that a battery would come off the charger, but thats pushing the limits. Closer to 4.1V would be better, but anywhere in between 4.1-4.2V is fine.
It all depends on the charger your using too. Some chargers cut off slightly sooner then others. I use an E-Power, which also uses non-proprietary batteries and my charger stops charging at 4.10V, which is exactly where I want it.

It depends on what device the batteries are in, but most PVs that use non-proprietary batteries will cut off at around 3.3V and will no longer fire the PV bc they need a recharge.
I recommend not letting your batteries drain all the way down though. For one, the quality of the vape will be greatly reduced at the very end of a battery cycle, so by not letting them drain all the way down, and switching to a fresh battery, you can skip that weak vape that you get with a battery thats almost fully drained.
Another reason that your batteries will last longer by throwing them back on the charger before they drain all the way. Non-proprietary batteries get about 300-500 charge cycles in the batteries lifetime. When you dont let the battery drain all the way, you dont use a full cycle. So by always doing that, the battery will last longer for ya. For example, if you recharge your battery when theres 50% left, that means you only used 1/2 a charge cycle. So if you do that 2 times in a row, the battery takes that as one full charge cycle, instead of 2.

Your best bet is to get a digital multimeter if you dont have one already. That will allow you to check the voltage off your batteries, so youll know when to throw them back on the charger. Personally, I always put my batteries back on the charger when they get to around 3.5-3.6V. By doing that, there isnt a big drop off in the quality of the vape that you get from an almost dead battery.
Also with a multimeter you would be able to check the actual resistance of your attys and cartos that your using. And by checking them before you use a new carto for the first time, youll be able to catch one that is DOA, and then you wont waste the juice that you would have put into that carto, bc youll be able to tell if its a DOA before you even use it.

You can get a multimeter for fairly cheap at a hardware store or something. Many ecig vendors also sell them as well.
If you really dont want to spend a ton of money, you can get one of ebay for really cheap.
Check here:DT830B digital multimeter | eBay
This is a search for the DT-830B Digital Multimeter. This is the multimeter that Madvapes and a few other vendors sell. Madvapes sells it for $10 and others sell it for between $10-15.
You can get the same multimeter on ebay for under $5 with free shipping. Just scroll through the pages on ebay and find the cheapest one. The only downside is that it does ship from China, so it does take about 2 weeks, but for the price its not bad at all. Thats what I did, and it works well. I got one for $3.43 shipped, which is a damn good deal. Its obviously not the best multimeter ever, but it serves its purpose well and accurately checks your batteries voltages and the resistance of your attys and cartos. Mine shipped from China and I got it in 12 days, which really isnt that bad.
So if you want to get one, and dont necessarily need to have it right away, getting it on ebay might not be a bad idea.
I just checked quickly, and on the first page theres one for $4.19 shipped. That would be a good deal, and if you scroll through a few pages, you might be able to find one for even cheaper.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
If you're only working with 3.6 or 3.7V batteries, I've seen good reviews on the xtar wp2 II charger on some of the light forums. It has a very low "trickle" charge (only 0.1 mA, close enough to "off" for normal humans), low battery discharge if you turn the charger power off and leave the batteries in the charger, and a near ideal charging characteristic. It's a two-channel charger.

I recently ordered one with a second pair of spacers (for use with shorter batteries like my 16340), it came in at about $19 delivered.

It has a little switch on the end, 3 position. One position is to use it as a USB power supply (I believe 500 mA limited), the "1" position is used for run of the mill battery charging, and the third position is a high current charge, for higher mAh batteries (I'd probably not use the high power position unless my batteries were rated > 1300 mAh each).

I've actually been happy with my TR001 chargers, no issues in a year of use, but all of the things popping up lately got me to relook chargers. At least some TR001 problems may have been related to the cord, and I had left mine plugged in (just turned off the power strip when done).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread