What terrible vendors do to us, and everything wrong with this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I was lucky, a bunch of people at work bought e-cigs from the local mall kiosk and were, of course, disappointed. So when I finally tried them, I went online. Of course I still ended up with a lousy kit, but it was only 30 bucks.

The last time we were at the mall, I started to head over to the kiosk, but my wife grabbed my arm and threatened me. I guess she knew what I was up to :)

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Sadly I encountered a gal at a kiosk who told me that they are required to "recite" the BS that they tell people. It was a fifty-one kiosk in Kansas City. After I enlightened her, she then said she was going to look into a different line of work. She loved her ecigs but didn't believe all the crap the company was making her tell people. Since the encounter, I haven't seen her there. Now I get to mess with the guys...LOL. I love the looks on their faces when I pull out a big mod and blow smoke rings around there little ecigs. The only good side to the kiosk is that they get the word out about ecigs..good/bad/otherwise but we can only hope that people will do a little research before buying any of it.

ncargrl

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina
yeah, I bought my first kit from a tobacco store-it was relatively cheap (30-35 dollars), and if I hadn't started researching and found this forum; I would still be smoking 2+ packs a day! I found the 510 kit, moved up to an ego with cartos and am now salivating over wooden bottom feeders. Thank you for this site, and vendors who actually care :)
I have a friend who purchased a "top of the line" 150.00 kit for her significant other last Christmas and guess what? Her significant other used it one week, and is now back on analogs worse than before!
Those vendors who are just out to make a quick buck end up hurting those of us who really do want to kick analogs once and for all.

bassworm

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
Yeah, the Totally Vapor USA company opened a kiosk out my way, at first it was a little hut thing, which when I realized what it was i STOPPED to find out more, the girl who was working was pretty nice, she seemed a bit clueless about it, but overall seemed to be more into the idea than just someone who is working and having to sell ( if that makes sense ), anyway, I stopped, had a chat, showed her my manual standard 510 , had to educate her on atomizers, cartomizers and what dripping meant, because she thought dripping meant just dripping into the carto poly fill. Then when she started talking about prices I told her how much my set up ran ( about 55.00 all total, including juice ) compared to her 220.00 Ego with 1 atty and 2 cartos and 1/2 your first juice pricing....I went to my trusty phone, pulled up websites and was like, look, I can get this ENTIRE setup for less than half of what you are charging, and she was like , "okay then, you know your stuff, thanks for letting me know."

I told her I wasn't against paying a little bit more out of just maybe convenience, like maybe, 16.00 for their 20ml bottles of juice, only out of desperation etc... she agreed, told me the best she could knock off of a price was 10% .. but I thanked her for her time, and went on my way.

Then they actually had a kiosk in the mall , with display cases and all that, I ran into her again asked how things were, told her about a few other deals, and kept it hush because "customers" were around, then saw there was a buy one get one free deal on their juice, and she said "If you need any let me know, Ill just give it to you for half price" so yeah, win win i guess, last time I was buzzing through the mall I didn't see her working so maybe she knew she was on the outs.

Oddly enough, I entertained the idea of getting a job and working there to educate people, and even though the idea sounded cool, having to actually SELL this stuff at such a high mark up would be against my morals.

/end rambling.

RudestBuddhist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Rochester, NY
I just went to their site and my stomach literally turned at their prices. $55 for a battery, $55 for an atomizer? Holy hell! They say that they have a lifetime warranty on the battery and a 1 year warranty on atomizers and cartomizers. I wonder how difficult it is to get a replacement and/or if you have to go through hoops.

If an atty that costs $6 and needs to be replaced every month were factored in, $55 wouldn't be too bad of a deal for a year of replacements, but with all their BS claims on how everything works so well and lasts so long, i'm guessing they won't honor their warranty.

"1116 People like this" on Facebook = 1116 people have been grossly lied to.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I started out with an expensive mall kit and quickly found out the claims were false. It got me interested and led me here. That was over a year ago. I have a friend who scoffs at them, wont even look at or try mine all because a couple he knows bought mall kits and were going to quit but were still smoking.

I could have never stuck with the mall kit. If I weren't the kind of person who researches the hell out of something, mine too would have ended up in a drawer and I would still be smoking.

stevejo

Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Those vendors who are just out to make a quick buck end up hurting those of us who really do want to kick analogs once and for all.

This.

In an industry that is constantly hounded by the FDA and anti-smoking groups and politicians that just get the drivel antis spew, we need all the good PR we can get. Guys like this mall vendor are the opposite.

jazdale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
Jackson, MI
Guys...c'mon. You have to realize a couple points of reference here.

First and foremost. Most on this forum started with one of these and progressed to the knowledge that you now possess through experience and other disappointing purchases.

Now consider the business plan to open a kisok - or better yet, a franchise of kiosks across the nation.
The owner was sold on the number of people wanting to quit (the target market) and the profit motive.
The manager of the kiosk used to sell shoes and may have never been a smoker
The salesperson used to flip burgers and also, may not be an ex-smoker
They are making more than minimum wage, and believe they are providing a valuable service to the public.
An experienced vaper would NEVER work there. Its just a conflict of interests.

To institutionalize the sales pitch, these people must blindly trust their employee manual.

Lucky for them, people that buy these kits don't talk to each other.

Lucky for us, we found a safer alternative to smoking and for that...it was worth every penny.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
It's one thing to charge higher prices to cover the cost of doing business in a brick-and-mortar, but it's quite another to blatantly lie about the product.

THat's exactly it. I happen to LIKE buying juice from one of the stores near where I work.

The guy who works there is friendly, let's me try flavors, shows me the latest equipment they got.

THat's how to do it- make a go of your brick and mortar store by giving the advantages brick and mortar can give.

Not by making .... up.

BEst,
Ande

arbogast

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
Norway
How are your experiences with the mall/kiosk vendors regarding nicotine?
Do they know that it can be dangerous? Do they inform potential customers about this / does it say so on the labels?

If not, this could be free, effective ammo for the FDA & other ANTZ / sockpuppets. Esp if, god forbid, accidents should happen.

Living in Norway this has nothing to do with me directly, so apologies for barging in. On the other hand, the situation here, and in Europe generally, might be influenced by USA and vice versa.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
I concur... I went to a local smoke shop to see if they carried juice. I found that they did not. And the owner trying to see me his lame e-cig. He showed me how it hit... little vapor. I showed him how the 510 hit (A 510 joye!!) Way more vapor. He said it was the same... delusional. And said I paid too much for mine. His were only $17. I said my juice only cost $15 for 30ml... and he said mine are better 5 carts for $15 and last longer. AH yah right.

I am done with smoke shop/e-shops. Until I see a good one. Which I hope to be someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread