What Percentage Flavour Concentrates To Use?

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
I'm very new to DIY e-liquid mixology.
The vape calculator I've been using requires a percentage of flavour concentrate I am intending to use.
To get started I just threw in the number 6 to see what would happen.
Later, I typed the question into Google and all sorts of numbers. It's all over the place.
One source says 15-20% would be about normal for most concentrates. Since I used 6% I can't imagine how strong 20% would be. I'm worried that too much concentrate will be too overwhelming.
Other sites quote 5-10%. So I don't have a clue...

If it is true, as I suspect, that certain brands or certain types of flavour require different percentages - how and where do I go to learn about this?

It all seems very foggy and indistinct to me.

As a guide for your answers, I'm making a 'biscuit' flavour and a 'cool texas tobacco' type. I also plan to make a 'Cigar' type.

At the moment, I am NOT getting complex - I'm simply mixing up one flavour at a time to get a feel for the process...

If you could share what percentages you yourself use, and what kind of flavours you vape, I think that would be a great help.

Thanks.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
If it is true, as I suspect, that certain brands or certain types of flavour require different percentages - how and where do I go to learn about this?

Quite right, some flavor makers are much more concentrated than others.

And good to start your mixing with simple recipes. Get a feel for it, and for the individual flavors.

Most of my mixes don't go over about 15% total flavoring, so if a slightly complex mix, each flavor might be 5% or less.

Join us down here :)

gloopdegurp

DIY Hack
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
You can also check out one of the e-liquid recipe sites for information about mixing percentages, such as All The Flavors -

Click on menu,
Screenshot_20240413_124515_Chrome.jpg

Select "Flavors",
Screenshot_20240413_124545_Chrome.jpg

Select "Browse Flavors",
Screenshot_20240413_124612_Chrome.jpg

Type in your flavor,
Screenshot_20240413_124835_Chrome.jpg

Select the flavor that you have, in this case we're going with TPA* Sweet Strawberry,
Screenshot_20240413_124919_Chrome.jpg
and it will show the average percentage used in the recipes there as well as a the low to high usage range.

This will at least give you an idea where to start until you've used that flavor enough to find your sweet spot for it.
If you want a particular flavor to be the star of the show, go with a higher percentage for your mix, if you just want it to add some support then go around the average usage or perhaps a bit lower add if only a little accent is needed then go closer to the lowest percentage, for starters. Adjust as needed after you sample your test mix.

* The Perfumers/Flavor Apprentice

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
It really depends on the brand of flavoring. It can be anywhere between 1-8%, depending. What are you using?
I've been buying my concentrates from here:

It's a variety of flavours I'm trying. As a rule, I tend to go between tobacco and biscuit, cake type flavours. I don't touch fruits.

I've ordered some things twice from this store and I notice that the labels aren't always the same. The products are advertised as Flavour Art, The Flavour Apprentice, and Flavor West - but they come with some label they have put on at the store. I can only guess that they are buying in large quantities and decanting them into their own small bottles.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
Some progress...

Thanks for the replies.

I made up a 30ml of "Cool Texas" with a 15% concentrate and a 4.5mg nic. It was THE MOST horrible thing I've ever tasted. I trusted it would be alright - hence the commitment to 30ml.
It called for a complete re-wick and washing of all things. For a moment, I thought I might burn the house, with all my belongings and leave town, to get away from the stench...

Yeah... so, a few deep yoga breaths and a quick rinse of the atomiser - and I was back at the scales...

Mixed up a "Bird's Custard" this time. Again at 4.5mg and a 30ml commitment. This went in at 10%. Bird's Custard, being from my hometown of Birmingham U.K. I was literally brought up on the stuff - it should appeal, right? Yes, it is very nice; very creamy. Just as I remember it. So the concentration seems to work. Though I haven't steeped yet. Will be interesting to see what it's like in a couple of days time.

Because I'm totally wet behind the ears on this, and I'm interested in getting complex blends - I've devised a strategy whereby I'll mix up all of the flavours as basic 'solo' mixes. Then, drip by drip (into the RDA), I'll experiment to see how they work together. That seems like the least wastage scenario. In theory, by counting the drips, I'll get some idea (however vague) of proportions. If it fails, I can strip the wick and start over. Then I'll divide 10% of a concentrate component into percentile nuggets of flavour. And keep messing about until I land on something worth writing up a recipe for. Notebook and pen at the ready...

Let's see how this goes...
In the meantime, if anyone has any golden nuggets of advice - I'm all ears.

Again - massive thanks to all of you who have chipped in so far.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I've been buying my concentrates from here:

It's a variety of flavours I'm trying. As a rule, I tend to go between tobacco and biscuit, cake type flavours. I don't touch fruits.

I've ordered some things twice from this store and I notice that the labels aren't always the same. The products are advertised as Flavour Art, The Flavour Apprentice, and Flavor West - but they come with some label they have put on at the store. I can only guess that they are buying in large quantities and decanting them into their own small bottles.
    FlavourArt will probably be the most concentrated with their tobaccos being mixed at 1-3%, and bakeries at 4-5%, depending on the exact flavoring and if you're mixing a single flavor or combining them.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    It takes a couple fails till you get it right. My first forays into mixing involved cheesecake. I pulled off a strawberry cheesecake that was actually really nice. And then I got cocky and said "I got this" and proceeded to make black cherry cheesecake. And it was a big nope. Tasted like perfume, just wrong. I gave it to a guy at work, he said it was decent. But I kept slugging away at it and found my groove. The old saying " practice makes perfect " is true here.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    It takes a couple fails till you get it right. My first forays into mixing involved cheesecake. I pulled off a strawberry cheesecake that was actually really nice. And then I got cocky and said "I got this" and proceeded to make black cherry cheesecake. And it was a big nope. Tasted like perfume, just wrong. I gave it to a guy at work, he said it was decent. But I kept slugging away at it and found my groove. The old saying " practice makes perfect " is true here.
    Yeah, flavours can be funny like that. I've had several 'nice' ones turn on me as soon as I've mixed them together. I can only think that chemical flavourings interract in ways that are different when you mix natural ingredients....

That said, the road to making the perfect curry has unexpected turns, also.

Reactions: Coyote628

Users who are viewing this thread