• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What is your Diamond in the Rough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
Not electronic, but my favorite underrated game was CyberPunk 2013 &/or 2020 by R.Talsorian. An RPG based on a future envisioned by authors of novels written in the Cyberpunk genre; William Gibson, Walter Jon Williams, Bruce Sterling & others. Combat, weaponry & cybernetic enhancements were emphasized. Ultimately nihilistic, utterly enjoyable especially when run by a competent GM. I found it way more fun than D&D. I was always more into sci-fi than swords & sorcery fantasy.

I remember playing this, and actually I still have the handbook I borrowed from a teacher's assistant that I never returned back in '94 lol. A game is a game doesn't have to be electronic IMHO. Thanks for bringing that old memory up heh.

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com

CyanideKitty

Mar 28, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
I remember some friends and I dabbled with CoC a little bit. The campaign didn't last very as long at all, as I was really the only Lovecraft nut. Then it was back to splitting my time between VtM and baking cookies on the nights we all got together.

The chance of playing Bishi Bashi again... I'm not currently running any emulation and while it is tempting to relive the Bishi Bashi glory I'm going to pass. It wouldn't be the same. I'll just keep remembering the fun, but hazy, Bishi Bashi glory days in my head, lol.

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
Darkened sky? A little bit platformer (not much, just here and there), Alot of RPG, Huge game world (very beautiful in its day), some tricky puzzles, good character development...and the quest for Skittles! One of the best product placements in a game ever. Save often...that is my best advice. I really liked the gamecube edition. Wavebird was the wave of the future.
Why? Any particular reason? Sell it to me...

Pandora5

Apr 18, 2012
Myrtle Beach, SC
Too many to pick from. MYST, Marble,... ultimately I've gotta go with Jedi knight: Dark Forces II. I took a Visual C++ class in High School - yes, showing my age - and we had 2 major projects throughout the year, a Jeopardy game and a Calendar program for any date past, present or future. Most of us finished both programs quickly and the rest of the time in class, study halls and or whenever we spent networking all the computers in the labs and playing Jedi Knight. It was the first multiplayer game for me and I've been hooked ever since. I love COD, BF3 and TF2 but Goldeneye with the Big Head cheat and slappers only is still my fav!

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
Showing your age? I wish...Computer Lit in HS was on Mac's (before they became mac classics):
Macintosh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
netTrek was pretty high speed back then...

COBAL, C, BASIC, FORTRAN, CBM (if you still worked with Commodore)...edlin and notepad style :)

Too many to pick from. MYST, Marble,... ultimately I've gotta go with Jedi knight: Dark Forces II. I took a Visual C++ class in High School - yes, showing my age - and we had 2 major projects throughout the year, a Jeopardy game and a Calendar program for any date past, present or future. Most of us finished both programs quickly and the rest of the time in class, study halls and or whenever we spent networking all the computers in the labs and playing Jedi Knight. It was the first multiplayer game for me and I've been hooked ever since. I love COD, BF3 and TF2 but Goldeneye with the Big Head cheat and slappers only is still my fav!

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
Psshh...we programmed on Acorn computers in JH and on old XTs in HS....showing your age indeed. LoL

Showing your age? I wish...Computer Lit in HS was on Mac's (before they became mac classics):
Macintosh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
netTrek was pretty high speed back then...

COBAL, C, BASIC, FORTRAN, CBM (if you still worked with Commodore)...edlin and notepad style :)

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois

Jedi Knight (and the first dark forces, for that matter - which is being rebuilt in the XL engine) was a blast.

My most memorable first multiplayer experiences were playing Rise of the Triad (you could press the F keys for taunts, like "where aaaare you?" "over heeeere ..." "behind'ja!") and Doom (with the barney character mod) over modem

Goldeneye ... I don't think it counts as a diamond in the rough as it was probably worshiped as it was due, but I just have to say: license to kill, pistols in the basement :D

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
Cracking up...My friend jason still sneaks up on people and yells "Behind ya!"

One of the first FPS to have good multiplayer IMO.

Gotcha!

Jedi Knight (and the first dark forces, for that matter - which is being rebuilt in the XL engine) was a blast.

My most memorable first multiplayer experiences were playing Rise of the Triad (you could press the F keys for taunts, like "where aaaare you?" "over heeeere ..." "behind'ja!") and Doom (with the barney character mod) over modem

Goldeneye ... I don't think it counts as a diamond in the rough as it was probably worshiped as it was due, but I just have to say: license to kill, pistols in the basement :D

CyanideKitty

Mar 28, 2012
Milwaukee, WI

I completely forgot about Myst. I remember way back in 6th grade some of the boys in class would play it on our teacher's computer during free time and I always got pissy and threw fits because they wouldn't let me play, lol. I think I have a copy of that game...somewhere...

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
I'd add Sin to this list. I loved the first mission in that game, where you start in the helicopter with the Gatling gun. Last time I checked probably back in 2004 there was still 1 multiplayer server running ...

For a current diamond in the rough, I say the BattleGrounds 2 mod for Half Life 2. It's free if you have Source engine games. It's a revolutionary war mod, and can be a blast. It's far from perfection but can be an absolute blast to play. The guns are very inaccurate and take a long time to load, so the bayonet is often your best bet. There aren't always many people on, but on Tuesdays a couple servers run "line battles" where you can get ~60 people in a game with each side having a commander that gives orders and everyone marches in line and fights line battles. It can be a blast :) Steep learning curve; people either love it or hate it. I started with the original BattleGrounds for half life 1. Also very underrated IMO is The Ship mod for Half Life (I think there was a commercial release of it for the Source engine)

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
Throwing up Stacking on this list now too. (Thanks to the person who gifted it to me, you know who you are!) That game is so unique in it's presentation, art style is amazing, and the puzzles and interactions between characters is charming and witty. It's just another one of those Double Fine experiences where you genuinely feel like you are playing something you never have before and enjoy it the whole time.

Oh and look: Stacking, Psychonauts and Costume Quest are ina bundle for 10 bucks! :D Amazon.com: Oh So Fine Bundle [Download]: Video Games

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Throwing up Stacking on this list now too. (Thanks to the person who gifted it to me, you know who you are!) That game is so unique in it's presentation, art style is amazing, and the puzzles and interactions between characters is charming and witty. It's just another one of those Double Fine experiences where you genuinely feel like you are playing something you never have before and enjoy it the whole time.

Oh and look: Stacking, Psychonauts and Costume Quest are ina bundle for 10 bucks! :D Amazon.com: Oh So Fine Bundle [Download]: Video Games

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't heard of Stacking, and it sounds like fun. I've always wanted to play Psychonauts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread