What Grades of Stainless Steel Are Considered Safe For Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've been trying various builds on my AIOS tank, and the most successful have involved the use of Ekowool sleeved SS cable. However, in the style of builds I've been doing, it's occurred to me that I really don't need the cable so much as a small piece of rod that I can sleeve with Ekowool.

So I have been looking online for a small bit of Stainless steel rod but stopped myself from ordering something because I wasn't sure if the grade was considered safe for this sort of thing.

What I was looking at is 316 (marine grade?) grade SS rod. Is this generally safe, or should I be shopping for another grade?

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I guess I don't understand the purpose of the rod. Are you going to sleeve the rod with ekowool all the way down into the tank?

No, not exactly. On the AIOS, the tank sits above the coil, so the juice wicks downward. The rod will enter the tank, but will simply be a platform to sleeve Ekowool below the tank.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
The purpose of the cable is to break the surface tension of the juice and allow the juice to climb up each individual strand in the cable. There is probably more surface area with equal od. cable than solid rod.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

That makes good sense, but I'm thinking in this setup, the wicking is more dependant on the placement of the ekowool. In which case, the cable is just more of an annoyance to sleeve than a solid rod would be.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
There are dozens of grades of stainless. "Stainless steel" is a pretty generic term. There are grades that are magnetic, grades that aren't, grades that are heat treatable, grades that machine better than others, some grades are more corrosion resistant than others. Most RBAs are made of either 303 or 304.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread