• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What DID Jesus Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
There is a trend that is being seen in today's churches and among Christian groups when faced with a situation (usually confrontation) to ask “What would Jesus do?” No one could possibly know completely the mind of God, but we can find out His will toward man by reading the book that He transmitted to us through His prophets. In the same way, it would be presumptuous to think that we can understand the mind of Christ without examining the only documents recorded by those who knew Him through His ministry or who personally knew people who had known Him during that time---the gospels and the epistles. Those who advocate looking for “What Jesus Would Do?” generally depict Him as a humble man, weak, and spineless. But is that the picture that we get of Him from the scriptures. (Before I go any farther, I will say that Jesus was humbled when He became man and came to earth leaving His glory behind. He was humble in accepting the will of the Father even unto death. But is there any record of Him being humble before man? I haven't found any. While being questioned by the chief priests and elders He would not answer. This was an act of defiance not an act of a weak, spineless man. He did not speak, because of His Father's will to fulfill the prophecy in Isaiah 53:7)

I propose that the best way to find out what Jesus would do, is to search the scriptures to find out what He did. We all know that He was gentle, compassionate, and caring. He healed the sick, cleansed the lepers, raised people from the dead, etc. I don't think that any of us could do the same. But when it came to the word of God or the message that He was preaching, did He back off and apologize when someone was offended? When the Pharisees and teachers of the law were in the crowd around Him, He said to them, “You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” He didn't apologize to them afterward either. (I'm not advocating that people go around calling people a “brood of vipers” or any other name. Only God/Jesus knew the heart of these people. We don't know the heart of anyone, and shouldn't presume to judge them.)

Did He hesitate to tell people exactly what He thought? In Mark 10:17-24, a man asks what he must do to inherit eternal life. Jesus told him to sell all of his possessions and give them to the poor because he would have treasure in heaven. He was not saying that everyone should sell all of their possessions to give to the poor. Jesus saw this man's heart and where it was. His wealth and possessions meant too much to him to give them up. He was not content to know that one day he would have treasure in Heaven. This wasn't the answer that the man was expecting and was disappointed. Did Jesus run after Him apologizing to him and begging him to come back?

Did He try to “win friends and influence people”? In John 2:13-16 we read:

13 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”

This was obviously not done to make Himself popular. But you may be saying, “I'm not Jesus. I can't do those things as a human”. So what did His apostles (those who for the most part knew Him during His entire ministry on earth) do? Of the 12 that He had originally chosen, only Judas Iscariot did not continue with the others. (After betraying Jesus, he committed suicide.) The remaining apostles chose Matthias (Acts 1) to take the place of Judas. However, the Lord had other ideas. He chose Paul to become the apostle to the gentiles even though Paul had never met Him before His crucifixion. (Acts 9) Therefore, they became “the twelve” again. Did they go around preaching a message of love and kindness to all? Apparently not. Neither were the weak or spineless. While “humble” on their own account, when it came to teaching what the Lord had taught them, they were outspoken and fearless! In fact, of the 12, only John died of “natural causes”! The rest were martyred because they refused to remain silent with the truth that they had been given by God. They were not always popular. Jesus had warned them in Matthew 10 that there would be much suffering ahead for them if they brought His message to the people. The first time that Paul was beaten up and left for dead outside of Antioch, did he decide that the message that had been given to him was too unpopular to transmit? Did he say, “Jesus is strong enough to defend His own word, let him take care of it!” (If he had, where would the majority of us be today?) No, he got up and went back into the city.

Did the apostles enjoy being beat up, stabbed, and generally unpopular? No, they did it because they had been told by Christ to do it. And they (rightly so) considered their message to be one of life or death importance. I would rather be unpopular with people here on earth than to know that my hesitance to speak resulted in them spending eternity out of the presence of God. I realize that some have different ideas as to when Christ will return. But if you believe as I do that we are quickly approaching what is known as the tribulation period and that the church will be taken out prior to the tribulation, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time to keep from “offending” people with the truth.

Your sister in Christ

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Regardless of one's viewpoint concerning the end....the end will come. The end will come today for some as they will die in their sin. We should not expect to be above our master. He was/is loathed and we can't expect any better treatment. That should not hinder one from speaking the truth. We are not doing people any favors whatsoever by ignoring our commission.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Regardless of one's viewpoint concerning the end....the end will come. The end will come today for some as they will die in their sin. We should not expect to be above our master. He was/is loathed and we can't expect any better treatment. That should not hinder one from speaking the truth. We are not doing people any favors whatsoever by ignoring our commission.

Agreed! The great commission was not a suggestion that Christ was making. The apostles took it seriously. Why shouldn't we?

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Agreed! The great commission was not a suggestion that Christ was making. The apostles took it seriously. Why shouldn't we?

I agree 100%. As a Christian, doing God's will should be the most important thing in our lives, and doing His will is spreading His message of salvation.

But, we need wisdom to be effective in doing that too. If you go around yelling at people to repent of they are going to burn in hell, you're not going to get much good done, in fact you might do damage (westboro baptist church comes to mind). They make me cringe. But if you use wisdom and love to teach, you might get someone to listen. I think the delivery is very important, be all things to all people. Catch more flies with honey then vinegar. :)

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee

The apostles felt as if Jesus would return during their lifetime. I'm not so sure even Christians believe that He will return anymore much less alien sinners. Empty church pews and lack of personal evangelism kind of prove that point. Right before you go to sleep tonight....ask yourself...what have I done for the kingdom of God today?

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Yes, I totally agree...we are not to be ashamed of the gospel. We will be persecuted, albiet "fluff" persecution compared to the real persecution the disciples endured. Why should we apologize for the truth?

"Those who advocate looking for “What Jesus Would Do?” generally depict Him as a humble man, weak, and spineless." I do subscribe to thinking about how Jesus would handle a specific situation yet in no way do I see him as weak and spineless....but he was absolutely humble.

He was definitely more harsh with those that were supposed to be representatives of God who turned his father's house into a den of theives and robbers. Yet he was gentle with those that were caught in sin, the Samaritan woman and adulterous woman were 2 great examples of just how gentle he was.

There are plenty of scriptures in the new testament that tell us how to behave with our testimony and yes I do see the disciples teaching love and kindness.

1 Peter 3
8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For,
“Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep their tongue from evil
and their lips from deceitful speech.
11 They must turn from evil and do good;
they must seek peace and pursue it.
12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their prayer,
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.” 15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

There is a huge difference between being bold for the Lord in our testimony and sharing the gospel and going headlong into a battle with someone who is opposing the truth. That is where having the Holy Spirit is so important. Before Peter had the fullness of the HS, he denied Christ....yet when filled, died for the cause.
I do see that Peter continued to struggle with certain issues even after the infilling when Paul had rebuked him for eating with his Jewish brothers and pulling himself away from the Gentiles.
11When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. 12Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

14When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

Being fearless for the gospel does not contradict how our behaviour should be towards those that don't believe. Sharing the gospel is of utmost importance, regardless of how you feel about being judged a fool because of it or worse...dying for the cause, because the Gospel is life for the hearers.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I agree 100% Imrasch. I see Him as humble too, but not weak or spineless, no way.

Humility takes great strength, self assurance and restraint. Jesus had the perfect balance of all traits, He was the perfect example.

I see how Jesus dealt with those who should know better, and how He delt with the common sinner. He was very hard on those religious leaders who really missed the mark, but He was so loving with the average person who was just a lost sheep. Big difference in how He delt with people.

Last edited:

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Everyone is absolutely correct. (Now I'm grabbing my chest....."I'm coming Elizabeth!") Jesus had a presence about Him....a presence of authority, but He abided by the rules of the land. He was charismatic, compassionate, loving, and playful with the children. If there had been such a thing as a baseball and gloves, He would have done that too. When He spoke, even E.F. Hutton listened. (Got that from a Carman song.) I've always imagined him around 6 foot, strong build....muscles from being a carpenter, hands rugged, solid resolve, having a Jewish face......eyes could have been blue or brown.....I like blue on Him....penetrating eyes that could look right through you, (He looked upon the heart) hair shoulder length, beard....like most men of that day.......wimpy? No way. He'd say what He'd mean and mean what He'd say. He did not back down nor was He pushy and until He allowed the guards to take Him, no one touched Him....back to the presence of authority. Even Pilate felt this, and we know from Scripture that his wife was worried about the situation as well. That says something to me.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
The apostles felt as if Jesus would return during their lifetime. I'm not so sure even Christians believe that He will return anymore much less alien sinners. Empty church pews and lack of personal evangelism kind of prove that point. Right before you go to sleep tonight....ask yourself...what have I done for the kingdom of God today?

Amen SG! So true.. What you just described was one of the 'signs' of His imminent return;

Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; - 2 Thessalonians 2:3

Many are losing faith and 'falling away' from the Churches. We'd be wise to heed the Instructions of John:

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work - John 9:4 :)

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
I agree 100% Imrasch. I see Him as humble too, but not weak or spineless, no way.

Humility takes great strength, self assurance and restraint. Jesus had the perfect balance of all traits, He was the perfect example.

I see how Jesus dealt with those who should know better, and how He delt with the common sinner. He was very hard on those religious leaders who really missed the mark, but He was so loving with the average person who was just a lost sheep. Big difference in how He delt with people.

Yes! That is the BIG difference.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Everyone is absolutely correct. (Now I'm grabbing my chest....."I'm coming Elizabeth!") Jesus had a presence about Him....a presence of authority, but He abided by the rules of the land. He was charismatic, compassionate, loving, and playful with the children. If there had been such a thing as a baseball and gloves, He would have done that too. When He spoke, even E.F. Hutton listened. (Got that from a Carman song.) I've always imagined him around 6 foot, strong build....muscles from being a carpenter, hands rugged, solid resolve, having a Jewish face......eyes could have been blue or brown.....I like blue on Him....penetrating eyes that could look right through you, (He looked upon the heart) hair shoulder length, beard....like most men of that day.......wimpy? No way. He'd say what He'd mean and mean what He'd say. He did not back down nor was He pushy and until He allowed the guards to take Him, no one touched Him....back to the presence of authority. Even Pilate felt this, and we know from Scripture that his wife was worried about the situation as well. That says something to me.

Your description of Jesus sounds just like mine L! (lol) I could write 'volumes' on that as I've accumulated much over the years, actual letters from 'that' day and what not.. but that's another 'topic' for another day. Many people like to 'debate' over that topic also, so I tend to 'shy' from it on that basis.. ;)

Saintscruiser: He'd say what He'd mean and mean what He'd say. He did not back down nor was He pushy and until He allowed the guards to take Him, no one touched Him....back to the presence of authority. Even Pilate felt this, and we know from Scripture that his wife was worried about the situation as well. That says something to me.

That speaks volumes to me also! :)

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Your description of Jesus sounds just like mine L! (lol) I could write 'volumes' on that as I've accumulated much over the years, actual letters from 'that' day and what not.. but that's another 'topic' for another day. Many people like to 'debate' over that topic also, so I tend to 'shy' from it on that basis.. ;)

That speaks volumes to me also! :)

I have a cool book I got from Jews for Jesus on living back in Biblical times....even some recipes......gag....no chocolate. I'm sure they used honey to sweeten everything. I'll have to scour the house....forget that! I'll let my housekeeper scour the house and I'LL look for the book!:laugh:

Now how surprised should I be, E that we see Jesus almost the same!!! Not all Jewish men are short. Look at Oded Fehr......he was Ardeth Bay in the Mummy movies. He's just as Jewish as they come and he's of larger stature, at least 6'. My Daddy was 5'9" or 5'10". I had a girlfriend who was so adamant that all Jews eyes were brown. I told her I had proof that wasn't true as my daddy's eyes were the most gorgeous darker blue eyes I'd ever seen. I inherited his eyes. She knew the folks and that hushed her up and we had a good laugh!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread