What Actually Is The Advantage To Low Resistance Builds?

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
This is something I've been trying to figure out... Please bear with me...

As I understand it, (and please correct me if wrong), the higher the resistance, the more power is needed to heat the coils?
Therefore, why do a lot of vapers need to run such high power through their low sub-ohm coils? I would have thought they'd need less power to heat those low resistance coils to get them really hot, to get big clouds. Yet, it seems like the trend is to go for lower Ohms and higher wattage.

I don't get it.

I normally vape at around 35-40W, on a 0.34 Ohm build. If I set the wattage too much higher, it's too hot and unpleasant for my taste. My regulated mod, when in 'Smart' mode, detects the coil and automatically sets the power to 55W. When I put in a lower resistance build - say 0.1 Ohm, it immediately sets the power to 70W.

This seems like reverse logic to me. But obviously I must be wrong, because lower resistance always seems to be associated with higher wattages.

I know there is something I am not understanding here, that is probably very simple to advanced vapers. I wonder if you could fill in the gaps for me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: no|ah

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    ohms law.png

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    This is something I've been trying to figure out... Please bear with me...

As I understand it, (and please correct me if wrong), the higher the resistance, the more power is needed to heat the coils?

You got that Bass Ackwards.

Think about it... If you could make a Coil with Zero Ohms, then Electricity would happily flow thru the coil with No Resistance. So the coil would Never Get Hot.

This is also why you see some people say'n that they Need some God Awful amount of Watts to get a Decent Hit. If you do a 0.1 Ohm build, not much is going to happen if you put 20 Watts on it. But you put those same 20 Watts on a 3.0 Ohm Build and it will be like Sucking Down Welding Fumes thru a Flaming Paper Straw.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    You got that Bass Ackwards.

Think about it... If you could make a Coil with Zero Ohms, then Electricity would happily flow thru the coil with No Resistance. So the coil would Never Get Hot.

This is also why you see some people say'n that they Need some God Awful amount of Watts to get a Decent Hit. If you do a 0.1 Ohm build, not much is going to happen if you put 20 Watts on it. But you put those same 20 Watts on a 3.0 Ohm Build and it will be like Sucking Down Welding Fumes thru a Flaming Paper Straw.
    Well, yeah. That's what I'm saying, in effect. If I make a 0.4 Ohm build, then I find I only need to push about 35-40W into it to get a decent hit. So my question is, why build lower and lower until you need to be pushing in excess of 200W, and needing a mod that can carry four batteries - to get more or less the same result?

I guess what I'm asking is, whether users have found there is some cloud volume/ flavour/ temperature advantage from pushing more power through bigger coils or something?

For the record, I'm quite happy with a single coil of around 0.38 Ohms, and pushing 30-40 Watts through it. And yes, in the past, I've built lower and pushed more Watts - but I'm not sure exactly where the advantage lies. I just found I was getting through more batteries.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

I guess what I'm asking is, whether users have found there is some cloud volume/ flavour/ temperature advantage from pushing more power through bigger coils or something?

I dunno... ? Some say there is. Some say there Isn't.

To me, the Slow Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down of High Mass builds is a Non-Starter. So doing a Very Low Ohm Build with a bunch of Wires just isn't for me.

My thinking was always If I can get about the Same Hit using a Single Round Wire then why not? And if I didn't need a Dual Battery Mod to make Triple Digit Wattage, then I could use what I liked better, Smaller Mods and Better Battery Life.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    I dunno... ? Some say there is. Some say there Isn't.

To me, the Slow Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down of High Mass builds is a Non-Starter. So doing a Very Low Ohm Build with a bunch of Wires just isn't for me.

My thinking was always If I can get about the Same Hit using a Single Round Wire then why not? And if I didn't need a Dual Battery Mod to make Triple Digit Wattage, then I could use what I liked better, Smaller Mods and Better Battery Life.
    Yes, my thinking exactly.

But you were right - I did have that 'bass ackwards'. :D

Reactions: zoiDman

Users who are viewing this thread