Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have been experimenting with different types of wraps on my Odysseus and usually do a nice spaced out wrap of about 4 coils around my wick. I tried a tighter real close wrap and it made for a much stronger vape. It was I guess more of a TH hit. I also noticed that though they werent touching and no shorts the coils got much dirty and gunky in a short time. I did a dry cleaning and it seemed fine. Used it again for a bit and noticed the harsh taste. I removed it and noticed the wick around the coils were burned and the wick came apart and so did the coil. I will definitely stay with a more spaced coil wrap from now on. The taste is just so wonderful, smooth and full of flavour.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I originally started with a 32 awg just because that's what many people recommended but I ended up using 36 awg after Imeo suggested it. I have found that, for me, the thinner the better. Thinner wire heats up faster and I'm able to take shorter drags while still getting a ton of vapor and better TH. I used to think that more wraps would give better performance but I found out that the number of wraps is indeed not as relevant as the gauge of the wire. If looking at a 1.5 ohm coil, I will take 2-3 wraps with 36g over 4-5 wraps with 32g every time. Just my preference based on what I've experienced...

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I think it also depends on the thickness of your wick material and how its placed in the cup. I have done some where I do exactly the same number of wraps, but the wick is thicker and it can change. Sometimes if I place the wick down deeper in the cup it can change the ohms. I think he also mentioned he was using a thinner wire of 36 gauge wire. Next time I think I will order some thinner to play with.

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
I think it also depends on the thickness of your wick material and how its placed in the cup. I have done some where I do exactly the same number of wraps, but the wick is thicker and it can change. Sometimes if I place the wick down deeper in the cup it can change the ohms. I think he also mentioned he was using a thinner wire of 36 gauge wire. Next time I think I will order some thinner to play with.

I'm definitely ordering some 36 soon to try it out. I already have 100ft of 34 gauge nichrome and 100 feet of 32 gauge kanthal haha...so much wire!

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
How are you getting 1.5 ohms while maintaining 4-5 wraps with a 32g? I can only get 1 to 2 wraps around the wick in order to get around 1.3-1.5ohms.

As anavidfan pointed out, it's about the thickness of the wick. The length of a 32g nichrome is close to 1 inch or so on a 1.5 ohm coil which can easily provide for 4-5 wraps if using a single strand of a 3mm wick. Which kind of wick setup are you using?

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Damn, I haven't wrapped a coil with anything thinner than 32g in quite some time, but I think I'll give it another go when I get back from my trip. For some reason, the thinner wires seem to actually hold up better at high wattages than thick wires, not to mention they seem to gunk up a little slower, and when they do gunk up, it's a bit more manageable to adjust the coils with 34 and 36.
As far as the OPs post, I've found that more spread out coils produce a cooler vape, where as a tighter coil (more akin to that of iAtty) definitely has more kick to it. With Ody, I find myself wrapping wider coils, which I guess is b/c I like to take advantage of the full 6mm of space, but my Pene coils usually turn out more like my iAtty coils, much tighter and closer together. With ody, I've been using doubled up 3mm wick and with Pene I use a single strand of 3mm wick (mostly b/c I usually don't have the vertical clearance to squeeze in the 2nd piece of wick). As far as wire, my last 2 coils have been with 28g kanthal(both around 0.9-1.1Ω), but with Ody, I've been using 30g kanthal for probably the last 3 months and just haven't gotten around to trying 28g in em. As much as I like how it vapes (especially in genesis atomizers), I'd steer clear of using the 28g in Ody and Penelope. The stuff is just too damn thick to do a clean job of twisting it together with the NR wire.
I originally started with a 32 awg just because that's what many people recommended but I ended up using 36 awg after Imeo suggested it. I have found that, for me, the thinner the better. Thinner wire heats up faster and I'm able to take shorter drags while still getting a ton of vapor and better TH. I used to think that more wraps would give better performance but I found out that the number of wraps is indeed not as relevant as the gauge of the wire. If looking at a 1.5 ohm coil, I will take 2-3 wraps with 36g over 4-5 wraps with 32g every time. Just my preference based on what I've experienced...

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
I too was using only 32g kanthal until I read a post by Torqueguy about coil preferences. He recommended 36g for higher voltages so I gave it a try. My experience is that 36g gives much better juice flavor. My vision ain't what it used to be though so I do have to get out the magnifying glass sometimes. The 36g sure is thin and hard to see.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
As anavidfan pointed out, it's about the thickness of the wick. The length of a 32g nichrome is close to 1 inch or so on a 1.5 ohm coil which can easily provide for 4-5 wraps if using a single strand of a 3mm wick. Which kind of wick setup are you using?

I use two 3.5mm wicks but I guess you can get 4-5 wraps for a single strand of 3mm wick. I prefer using dual wicks though, less flooding, and everything is just smooth.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
1275701500551_hz-myalibaba-web-temp1_3717.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread