Were's my Phlegm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBdev

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Smoked 20+ years and thought I'd be coughing up tar chunks by now. Smoke free for 31 days. Smoked a pack a day Marlboro Mediums/Red Labels. No real coughing or phlegm thus far. I hear it takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Should I consider a decongestant? I'm in my mid 30s so hoping I can get those lungs clear and in better shape.

So is the phlegm coming or what? Interested to hear about other's experiences.

Bionicunderwear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Springville, Utah, United States
Smoked 20+ years and thought I'd be coughing up tar chunks by now. Smoke free for 31 days. Smoked a pack a day Marlboro Mediums/Red Labels. No real coughing or phlegm thus far. I hear it takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Should I consider a decongestant? I'm in my mid 30s so hoping I can get those lungs clear and in better shape.

So is the phlegm coming or what? Interested to hear about other's experiences.

I don't have the answer but I am having the same experience. I've been wondering the same thing but was too afraid to ask.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
I'm 63 and was smoking ~2 PAD the last couple of decades, smoked about 45 years--since I was 18. Next week is my 1 year anniversary of being smoke-free, and I have yet to cough up anything. Apparently some people cough up stuff, some don't.

Count me in the phlegm-free crowd too (gotta put that on my resume!) :lol:

After leaving 43 years, 1 1/2 PAD behind me 6 months ago, other than the little occasional nagging cough going away, and gaining 1/2 octave on my vocal range, and getting at least 4 more counts on the long notes, I'm still the same.

VBdev

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
thats funny,My nose bleed from a very bad e-cig back in 09(that really freaked me out), so I feel for your question
Ouch, WTH was in that ecig? Was it a cig a like? What type of gadget and juice? That's scary stuff I hope is not on the market today. Hope you are OK.

go for a run go to buckro beach stand naked on grandview and thank your lucky lungs, congrats really.

WooHoo, really looking forward to the health benefits. I feel so positive and good about this change. I honestly never gave quitting a real shot and have several life long smokers I grew up watching so without the e-cigs I'd likely have been puffing that poison another 20 years.

I don't have the answer but I am having the same experience. I've been wondering the same thing but was too afraid to ask.

Let's figure this out, hope we find some answers. I need to run some more searches. I want to know if my lungs (are those little hair like things down there cilia?) are too clogged up to bounce back and that's why there's no phlegm, or maybe it wasn't so bad and it's clearing itself out, it's just not a dramatic chunky event, or do I just need to give it more time, or maybe I can help it along somehow...

I'm 63 and was smoking ~2 PAD the last couple of decades, smoked about 45 years--since I was 18. Next week is my 1 year anniversary of being smoke-free, and I have yet to cough up anything. Apparently some people cough up stuff, some don't.

Well done quitting!! Another ecig success. I hope you have a little celebration for the one year...sounds like a new mod or atty or toy to me. Definitely a cake.

I smoked for 45 years 1 1/2 pad and started vaping 2 years ago. I have never had any phlegm problems after I quit smoking, but sure did when I was a smoker though.

Thanks for sharing your experience...I'm wanting the phlegm to come as a sign of healing right now...but maybe I'm just not understanding something. U think the vape is preventing or slowing things down?

Count me in the phlegm-free crowd too (gotta put that on my resume!) :lol:

After leaving 43 years, 1 1/2 PAD behind me 6 months ago, other than the little occasional nagging cough going away, and gaining 1/2 octave on my vocal range, and getting at least 4 more counts on the long notes, I'm still the same.

If I was reviewing that resume for a potential position I'd certainly put low phlegm level's in the positive category. I mean, if someone did have excessive phlegm but they were good at controlling it and not getting it on the workplace, co-workers, and customers, I wouldn't necessarily ding them though. On the other hand, it only takes one bad phlegm incident to ruin a good working relationship :) Improved vocal range...you're hired. Congrats on the cancer stick dismissal.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Ouch, WTH was in that ecig? Was it a cig a like? What type of gadget and juice? That's scary stuff I hope is not on the market today. Hope you are OK.

WooHoo, really looking forward to the health benefits. I feel so positive and good about this change. I honestly never gave quitting a real shot and have several life long smokers I grew up watching so without the e-cigs I'd likely have been puffing that poison another 20 years.

Let's figure this out, hope we find some answers. I need to run some more searches. I want to know if my lungs (are those little hair like things down there cilia?) are too clogged up to bounce back and that's why there's no phlegm, or maybe it wasn't so bad and it's clearing itself out, it's just not a dramatic chunky event, or do I just need to give it more time, or maybe I can help it along somehow...

Well done quitting!! Another ecig success. I hope you have a little celebration for the one year...sounds like a new mod or atty or toy to me. Definitely a cake.

Thanks for sharing your experience...I'm wanting the phlegm to come as a sign of healing right now...but maybe I'm just not understanding something. U think the vape is preventing or slowing things down?

If I was reviewing that resume for a potential position I'd certainly put low phlegm level's in the positive category. I mean, if someone did have excessive phlegm but they were good at controlling it and not getting it on the workplace, co-workers, and customers, I wouldn't necessarily ding them though. On the other hand, it only takes one bad phlegm incident to ruin a good working relationship :) Improved vocal range...you're hired. Congrats on the cancer stick dismissal.

To answer your question after my quote: I believe that the body is a wonderful "machine" (for lack of a better word) and it does its best to cleanse itself as it's going along. The trouble happens when what we shove down overwhelms the "works" and that's when it starts breaking down. If you haven't experienced phlegm, don't think there's something wrong with you. I've quit cold turkey before and I didn't have phlegm either.

If you can breathe smoothly and don't have any gurgling when you exhale, or you can take deep breaths without hurting, then your lungs are fine. Of course, you can always ask your doctor to prescribe a chest X-Ray to be sure.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
I was in the same boat.... My cough is gone but no real phlegm exodus that I was waiting for when I quite smoking. I did notice my sinus issues cleared and haven't had a serious cold in over year.

I had a very active day yesterday with my family (water park, climbing many stairs all day) and noticed I really never got winded. My voice is a bit horse from talking loud and yelling a bit, inside park (Evergreen Wings and Waves).

I guess not everyone does this. Thanks for starting this thread, cause I thought I was just weird lol.

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
It was a 6 month old smoke 51? that had been sitting in the florida sun(outside bar not really in the sun but hot) outside for those six months with any animal ant or rodent with access.One of my dumber actions, but the first day soft use was great and hooked me.The second day not so much.I still give praise to that nasty thing for changing me life.

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
Im 2 months in I coughed up more when I was smoking. Nothing now and I can feel myself being able to breath better already. Especially when im out working in the heat If I go at it really hard and run out of breath at least I can catch it back now where before it usually meant I had to come inside and get cooled off to catch my breath. Vaping is the best choice I ever made.

slyphex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
USA
I quit smoking over 5 years ago so my memory of coughing phlegm has faded somewhat. I remember coughing up phlegm every morning while I smoked and for about 5 weeks after I quit.

Since then I've used mostly smokeless tobacco and tried every OTC smoking cessation product (mints/gum/patches). Vaping is the first time I feel like I can really quit.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Nothing here either and I don't feel like anything is going on in my lungs. I think my body purged things in the morning during a hot steamy shower while I was a smoker. I can definitely feel a difference. I smoked PAD for 20yrs. Used to get winded climbing the stars at the parking garage and I usually had to sit in my car and rest before I went home. I don't get that anymore even while vaping to my walk to the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread