We need road side banners saying E-cigs are a Great way to help quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I cannot afford to do this but I think we should have the word get out with big road side billboards saying something like:

" E-cigs - The Best way to Quit Smoking Cigarettes! E-cigs are Safer than cigarettes and Deliver Nicotine without harmful Smoke. E-cigs can help Save your Life Today! "

As long as your not a seller or manufacturer of e-cigs you can legally make these claims. I think it's important more people see e-cigs as not just s smoking alternative but as a good quit smoking aid. I'd like to see road side banners all over the country like this.

To me, saying an e-cig is a smoking alternative doesn't carry much weight. That's a watered down way to suggest using an e-cigs for health reasons and we all know it. only sellers should have to worry about such things. Many people have used e-cigs to quit smoking and then stopped using the e-cig. We need stronger language for the general public. We can do this legally, and i'd like to see it.

Sophey

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
I really like the idea of spreading information through billboards, etc.

Since tobacco-replacement and harm-reduction advertising is out, would it be a bad idea for private citizens with $$$ to put up billboards and banners advertising ECF and CASAA web links?

I'm thinking something along the lines of this: "Need help kicking your smoking habit? Visit ECF and CASAA." (List websites.) Include appropriate, inspirational picture.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... E-cigs are Safer than cigarettes and Deliver Nicotine without harmful Smoke. E-cigs can help Save your Life Today! "

Don't you think you should have at least a couple of studies before making the claim that e-Cigs are "Safer" than cigarettes?

Lawyers tend to nit pick on the smallest of things.

Sophey

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
Not trying to play the Devil’s Advocate here but things like “Safer” or “Healthier” are going to get someone sued without some studies to back it up.

This is true. That would be opening a can of something more disgusting than worms.

However, I don't see why private citizens (not vendors) couldn't advertise for the existence of personal vapors. What if I choose to put a sticker on my car saying "Thanks to a personal vapor, I'm no longer a smoker! Interested in learning more? Check out blah, blah, blah website." Couldn't I put the same message on a sign in my cornfield? Or on a billboard on which I've paid for the advertising space?

Please do play Devil's Advocate! It's helpful.

Note: the cornfield is hypothetical (as is the notion of my having enough $ to pay for advertising space on a billboard). :p

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is true. That would be opening a can of something more disgusting than worms.

However, I don't see why private citizens (not vendors) couldn't advertise for the existence of personal vapors. What if I choose to put a sticker on my car saying "Thanks to a personal vapor, I'm no longer a smoker! Interested in learning more? Check out blah, blah, blah website." Couldn't I put the same message on a sign in my cornfield? Or on a billboard on which I've paid for the advertising space?

Please do play Devil's Advocate! It's helpful.

Note: the cornfield is hypothetical (as is the notion of my having enough $ to pay for advertising space on a billboard). :p

IANAL, but.

I believe the wording "Thanks to a personal vapor, I'm no longer a smoker!" would be considered "Antidotal" because it makes no Claims or provides no Remedies to quitting smoking or becoming less Addicted to Nicotine for others. So if you want to put up a sign with this wording I don't think you're going to have a problem

But it also does not say that the use of a PV is not without a potential health risk. So if you made a reference to a web site that sold e-Cigarettes or promoted the sale of e-Cigarettes you would need to be included in some Legal Ease Fine Print about how e-Cigarettes have Not been shown to be "Safe" or a "Healthy" alternative to smoking.

There is a huge difference between making an Individual Statement verse Making a Claim or proposing a Remedy to Smoking with the intent of selling e-Cigarettes or e-Liquids.

___

What the problem with e-Cigarettes is in its current form is that e-Liquids are Completely Unregulated. There are No Standards for what a Company/Individual can put into an e-liquid or what packaging they choose to use and then sell it to a Consumer.

The Long Term ingestion of Nicotine via PG/VG vapor May or May Not be shown to pose a Significant Health Risk Reduction over Smoking. But what about the Myriad of Flavorings\Colorants\Sweeteners and there subsequent Chemical Interactions? Are these Chemicals "Safe" to ingest?

Also, what about the use of Plastic Bottles in which Most e-Liquids are sold? Can it be said with any certainty that they do not leach Chemicals into the e-Liquid due to their inherent Chemical Instability?

This is where the Government Regulation will come in. They aren’t going to allow it to be sold without knowing what is in it. And they can't Tax it unless it can be shown to have a Significant Reduction in Risk over Other Tobacco products which is currently Taxed and Regulated.

Last edited:

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
IANAL, but.

...This is where the Government Regulation will come in. They aren’t going to allow it to be sold without knowing what is in it. And they can't Tax it unless it can be shown to have a Significant Reduction in Risk over Other Tobacco products which is currently Taxed and Regulated.
I'm not so sure about this part. Hopefully the liquid will be regulated as a food product, but I do believe this is mearly a best case senerio. Due to government's addiction to taxing cigarettes, and that cigarettes are becoming public enemy number one, e-cigs are going to likely get burned by taxation because they lack the lobbying power that BT has.

So, learn to mod, learn to diy nicquid, and talk to your representitives.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not so sure about this part. Hopefully the liquid will be regulated as a food product, but I do believe this is mearly a best case senerio. ...

I don't think there is much hope of getting a product that contains Nicotine to be considered a food product.

I think if the e-Cig industry was smart they would form some type of body and attempt to establish some guidelines as to ingredients, Colorants and better packaging.

Better to do it voluntarily and to look responsible than to have the US government step in and stop the sale of what is looked at right now as “Snake Oil” from the back of pickup trucks.

Celarnor

Mar 23, 2010
Rochester
I don't think there is much hope of getting a product that contains Nicotine to be considered a food product.

0051017.jpg

I kid. :D

FWIW, good shisha is mostly composed of food-grade flavorants, honey, molasses, etc. And that's not food either.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
IANAL, but.

I believe the wording "Thanks to a personal vapor, I'm no longer a smoker!" would be considered "Antidotal" because it makes no Claims or provides no Remedies to quitting smoking or becoming less Addicted to Nicotine for others. So if you want to put up a sign with this wording I don't think you're going to have a problem

But it also does not say that the use of a PV is not without a potential health risk. So if you made a reference to a web site that sold e-Cigarettes or promoted the sale of e-Cigarettes you would need to be included in some Legal Ease Fine Print about how e-Cigarettes have Not been shown to be "Safe" or a "Healthy" alternative to smoking.

There is a huge difference between making an Individual Statement verse Making a Claim or proposing a Remedy to Smoking with the intent of selling e-Cigarettes or e-Liquids.

___

What the problem with e-Cigarettes is in its current form is that e-Liquids are Completely Unregulated. There are No Standards for what a Company/Individual can put into an e-Liquid or what packaging they choose to use and then sell it to a Consumer.

The Long Term ingestion of Nicotine via PG/VG vapor May or May Not be shown to pose a Significant Health Risk Reduction over Smoking. But what about the Myriad of Flavorings\Colorants\Sweeteners and there subsequent Chemical Interactions? Are these Chemicals "Safe" to ingest?

Also, what about the use of Plastic Bottles in which Most e-Liquids are sold? Can it be said with any certainty that they do not leach Chemicals into the e-Liquid due to their inherent Chemical Instability?

This is where the Government Regulation will come in. They aren’t going to allow it to be sold without knowing what is in it. And they can't Tax it unless it can be shown to have a Significant Reduction in Risk over Other Tobacco products which is currently Taxed and Regulated.

Actually there is one company that makes e-liquid that has a lab registered with the FDA, and the FDA regularly inspects that lab. That's a form of regulation. Frequently Asked Questions - Johnson Creek Smoke Juice

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

I think "food" is better fit than tobacco. I'd feel more comfortable about it being considered a tobacco product if it actually contained tobacco.

The way FDA regulates supplements would work just fine to ensure the safety of users of e-liquid.

Overview of Dietary Supplements

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Don't you think you should have at least a couple of studies before making the claim that e-Cigs are "Safer" than cigarettes?

Lawyers tend to nit pick on the smallest of things.
That's was just an example of what opinions can be stated without fear of getting sued because your not selling it.. In other words there is no restriction on opinions. So re-word it to say " E-cigs are quite possibly Safer than cigarettes and Deliver Nicotine without the harmful effects of cigarette smoke because e-cigs do not produce any smoke. E-cigs can help Save your Life Today!"

Let them drag me into court. They would have to prove that my claim is untrue. It would backfire on them real fast. I can get studies done from other countries/ experts to testify that inhaling e-cig juice so far has shown to be safer than smoking tobacco. These studies and info are out there.

In fact, perhaps that's just what this thing needs to bring the truth out into the open. The Big Boys have to fight with money but we can fight with knowledge and win. Sellers and manufacturers would still not be able to make such claims but the public would no longer be able to get hassled for making such claims. Once the public could safely stand up and say e-cigs are safer than cigarettes because it was defended in court and won then the big boys would lose their fire and use of e-cigs would skyrocket.

Note I'm not talking about making a claim that e-cigs are 100% safe only that as an alternative they are safer than smoking tobacco cigarettes. There is proof of this out there so we should at least as users be allowed to say this.

How about a billboard that says,

" Studies have shown that using electronic cigarettes are less harmful than smoking tobacco. Electronic cigarettes contain no cancer causing agents, no illness of the heart or lungs, serious health issues or death have been associated with e-cig use since their invention in 2003. Electronic cigarettes do not contain any harmful tobacco smoke. If you are a smoker wanting to quit, an electronic cigarettes can help you quit and may help save your life.

(Possible long term health risks with some optional ingredients of some electronic cigarettes have not yet been determined but are considered to be minimal at best.) "

All of these things are provable easily, can be said without any fear of repercussions.

Last edited:

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I think "food" is better fit than tobacco. I'd feel more comfortable about it being considered a tobacco product if it actually contained tobacco.

The way FDA regulates supplements would work just fine to ensure the safety of users of e-liquid.

Overview of Dietary Supplements

Great, now all we have to do is get Congress to define what an Electronic Cigarette is and get a President of the United States to sign off on it. LOL.. I don't see that happening anytime soon. It took supplements from getting popular in the 70's till the mid 90's for The Administration to take serious notice of them. But the Supplement Industry did get the word about supplements out enough for them to get popular within keeping with the advertising laws.. we can do the same for the E-cig Industry even before the regulation hits. We know they are going to propose some regulation on e-cigs as tobacco products. I think the more popular they are when that time comes the easier the regulation will be on us because the FDA won't want to fight hoards of consumers. They said it would be about two years from the decision last December, so we have until then to make this thing explode IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread