We can make a difference on nat'l TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

January

Feb 8, 2010
Raleigh NC
OK...here goes....my first post!! ;-)

To start with, if you are a newbie, like me, and have not seen the video clip of Rachael Ray's show, go CNbel's post "Rachel Ray Talks About Banning E-Cigs" (do the search "Rachel Ray banning" on this website; if you get an error when you click on the video start button, try clicking on the small video of Rachael at the bottom of the "tube").

Second, thank you Doctor Vapor, for that wonderful clip. I have already sent links to about a dozen smokers I am converting/have converted to "vaporers."
:D

Honestly, folks, I am somewhat of a lurker...
:cool: that is, I don't post to forums much. I read a lot and learn a lot...and find that usually somebody else has said what I think much more eloquently and more succinctly than I can. Often, I don't even join the service I'm lurking around since I don't need to in order to read (and because I am so stingy about sharing my personal information online). This Rachael Ray thing, however, has disturbed me immensely. 8-o After I saw CNubel's video, I knew I had to reply. (Besides, I was already a member here!)

Stop right here if you have not seen the video clip. Go see it and come back.

So, I went to the Rachael Ray site. I read the responses on her message board following the broadcast of the e-cigarette segment. And I saw Doctor Vapor's thread was locked. That was too much.
:evil:So I actually joined the "RR Club" (so I could post there) and I actually gave them -- gasp! -- my real name, address and phone number. (You have no idea how hard that was for me!)

After I responded to several of the comments about the e-cig broadcast, I explored the site a little. It seems that it is not unusual for Rachael to do follow ups on her show about topics that get heavy traffic on her message boards. Last month, a show on plus-sized fashions received about 165 responses.
:yawn: That's apparently alot for a single segment. A couple of weeks later the show did a more extensive on-air follow-up. (I'm sure the producers promoted the hell out of it first!)

Only 165 responses got their attention. Again: ONLY 165 RESPONSES GOT THEIR ATTENTION!. Folks, we could do that. Easily. Hell, we could double it. Currently there are several active threads on her message board about the e-cig segment. There are only about 20 or so responses (1000++ views, though) as of now, but if every one who posts here made a comment there, someone on that show will take note. And they do want to give their viewers what they ask for, don't they?
:rolleyes:

So go to the website for the Rachael Ray Show and join her damned club. Go to the message boards and find the segment on the e-cigarette from the March 4, 2010 show. (do a search for the e-cigarette; look for the thread that says "don't let this go up in smoke"). Then post!!!

Post something positive about e-cigarettes. Tell them we don't even like to call them "e-cigarettes" for the very reason Rachael demonstrated. (Knee-jerk idiot reactions.) Ask the show's producers to followup on the March 4th segment with some REAL FACTS.
:evil: Challenge them to invite guests who have true stories about this life-saving devise. Rachel likes stories with happy endings...and we've got happy endings all over the world! Shame Rachael into admitting she, too, used to smoke, and she knows how hard it is to quit. Where is her honesty???

Guilt the hell out of this woman who has been named one of the "100 Most Influential People (Time magazine) and one of the "Most Influential Women in Media (Forbes).

If she is so damned influential, doesn't she have some social/moral obligations? Shouldn’t she be saving lives by providing real facts about a "gadget" that is claimed by so many to be a miracle, instead of holding it up with fingertips
:nah: and her "eeww...it's so gross" face?

We -- true vapors -- really can make a difference -- on national TV! All it will take is a heavy response to her e-cig segment by a lot of those of us who understand that this devise is not "icky" -- what we know and have to tell the world is that this device is a miracle!!!

ok...ok....I'll get off my soapbox now. (I know I'm preaching to the choir!)
I'll go back and sit in my little corner.... :oops:

Sherrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
Blackwater, Kentucky USA
Welcome to the forums, January. Your post was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it. Following your lead, I watched the recommended clip, then commented on the RR message boards. Hopefully this will gain steam here and we can get this topic back on the air with a more rounded discussion. Thank you for posting and sharing.

Sherrick

shanobi187

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Portland Oregon
Did anyone else notice the way she handled the e-cig during the latter stages of the video? I'm tellin' you, RR is a current or former smoker. Nobody handles a cigarette that naturally without quite some time creating the habit. I'd be curious to know her cigarette usage history.

I noticed the way she was holding it too, and you're right, there's no way she doesn't smoke currently or previously. her body language gives it away, the first time I watched tht clip that jumped out at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread