Very Simple MadVapes Flashlight Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had one of these little flash lights lying around for some time. Decided to finally mod the thing.

As I started taking it apart to reuse some of the parts, like the bulb holder, I thought there must be more simple way. Here's what I came up with:

Parts Needed:

madvapes flashlight
Sealed 510 connector
Washer (approx. same size as lense to fit 510 connector)
Epoxy
Blob of solder

This is the hardert part, and it's pretty easy. I trimmed the bottom shell of the connector so it is about flush with the center connector. The reason for this is you don't want the positive terminal of the battery coming in contact with the shell and center connector at the same time because the battery does fit in there a little sloppy. Plus, you want the center contact of the 510 connector to come in contact with the battery. Then, put a nice blob of solder on the center contact. The positive terminal of the battery will make contact with this blob of solder. The blob of solder allows the center contact to be taller, so to speak, than the shell of the 510 connector, thus eliminating the possibility of the battery contact touching center and shell at the same time. Also, when you trim the bottom shell of the 510 connector, don't remove too much or your swich will not come in contact with the shell when depressed. These connectors are made of a soft metal and can be trimmed by simply using a pair of needle nose and bending small portions back and forth a couple times and the pieces will break off easily. Just do this around the entire shell. Just don't remove too much. Just make it flush with the center contact.

Then epoxy the connector into the washer and let dry. Next, I had to file the edges of my washer to get it to fit where the lense of the flashlight was. So you insert the washer with connector into the cap (where bulb and lense were) of the flashlight, bottom of connector towards the battery, of course, and epoxy in place. That's it!!

You may need to bend the end of the switch, so to speak, where it makes contact with the shell of the 510 connector, to get the sensitivity you want when depressing the switch.

I did have an after thought also. You could probably use a 510 connector with a hole in the center contact and simply screw in a tiny brass screw to make contact with the battery.

Doesn't get any easier!

Enjoy,

Jay

jctennis

ECF Veteran
I've had one of these little flash lights lying around for some time. Decided to finally mod the thing.

As I started taking it apart to reuse some of the parts, like the bulb holder, I thought there must be more simple way. Here's what I came up with:

Parts Needed:

MadVapes flashlight
Sealed 510 connector
Washer (approx. same size as lense to fit 510 connector)
Epoxy
Blob of solder

This is the hardert part, and it's pretty easy. I trimmed the bottom shell of the connector so it is about flush with the center connector. The reason for this is you don't want the positive terminal of the battery coming in contact with the shell and center connector at the same time because the battery does fit in there a little sloppy. Plus, you want the center contact of the 510 connector to come in contact with the battery. Then, put a nice blob of solder on the center contact. The positive terminal of the battery will make contact with this blob of solder. The blob of solder allows the center contact to be taller, so to speak, than the shell of the 510 connector, thus eliminating the possibility of the battery contact touching center and shell at the same time. Also, when you trim the bottom shell of the 510 connector, don't remove too much or your swich will not come in contact with the shell when depressed. These connectors are made of a soft metal and can be trimmed by simply using a pair of needle nose and bending small portions back and forth a couple times and the pieces will break off easily. Just do this around the entire shell. Just don't remove too much. Just make it flush with the center contact.

Then epoxy the connector into the washer and let dry. Next, I had to file the edges of my washer to get it to fit where the lense of the flashlight was. So you insert the washer with connector into the cap (where bulb and lense were) of the flashlight, bottom of connector towards the battery, of course, and epoxy in place. That's it!!

You may need to bend the end of the switch, so to speak, where it makes contact with the shell of the 510 connector, to get the sensitivity you want when depressing the switch.

I did have an after thought also. You could probably use a 510 connector with a hole in the center contact and simply screw in a tiny brass screw to make contact with the battery.

Doesn't get any easier!

Enjoy,

Jay
Yeah, I actually made a passthrough with one. Same way, I just put a usb cable in place of a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread