Variable Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindLvr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
Erie, PA
I am curious about a VV box mod. What exactly is the benefit of vaping at a higher voltage? I am currently using an Ego-T Mega with a 1000mah pass through. I also have a 3.7 box mod that I made with a 14500 battery running at 3.7 volts. I was thinking of making a tube mod or another box mod with variable voltage, but I am not sure what higher voltage has to offer. Would y'all please fill me in on this topic?

Thanks!!!

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
One of my fav things about HV is shorter drags. At 3.7 even with LR it takes me a much longer drag to get the same thing I can get at higher voltage with a higher ohm atty. There's other differences as well but that's the biggest thing for me.

VV allows you to find your sweet spot no matter what ohm atty your using whether it's keeping the voltage down with LR or being able to use more of the rage with higher ohm you can do it all with VV with just an adjustment rather than having to change out batteries or attys to get a different vape, highly recommend going VV.

Yes, flavors can taste different at different voltages. On average although it can change I find tobacco, coffee and stronger flavors can handle higher voltage while the more delicate fruty flavors do better somewhat lower.

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Heres a vid i made of my vv box mod . Its vaping at 5v with a standard resistance boge carto with a pg/vg mix . Notice how i barely pulled on it for a second and got tons of warm vapor .At 6v i barely need to touch the button .If i were using a juice like BB you wouldnt be able to see past the cloud of vapor. Thats the best benefit to me because it feels so much more like smoking a analog . It actually pulls faster and harder than a analog . At 3.7v i would need to be pulling on it for 4 second or more to equal that . The warmer vape is better as well as the better TH . Most juices taste better . If not for VV i wouldnt still be vaping . You can also adjust voltage to get the most out of every juice .

Nucleus VV boosted box mod - YouTube

Last edited:

Bardolf Blaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
Burlington, KY
So one flavor will actually taste different at different voltages?
A resounding yes! For example, FSUSA makes a strawberry twist, IMO at a higher voltage tastes like burnt hair with an acid backwash. But on a lower voltage, it taste like juicy strawberries mixed with pina colada. My DIY butterrum however, tastes thick and sludgy at a low voltage. Up the heat a little and it taste like lifesavers candy...a little more and it tastes like the drink(without the after burn).

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
besides all the things that where already mentioned another plus is a vv mod you set at 5.2 volts or whatever and it stays there untill the battery dies or you change the voltage with a unregulated 3.7 pv it starts around 4.2 volts off the charger then steady drops until you can't stand it anymore and you're recharging the battery at 3.8 volts not getting anywhere near your full battery charge. I'll never buy another unregulated mod

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Now with higher voltage does it make a difference if you are using attys, cartos, tanks, or whatever else is out there? Does one work better than the other at higher voltage, or is it still all personal preference?

No, that's the beauty of vv, you can use anything with it and find what works best, unlike fixed voltages where you just have to leave it using the same setup. What makes a difference is the ohms your using, with higher ohm attys/cartos you'll find your sweet spot higher in the voltage range, with lower ohms the sweet spot will be lower in the voltage range. It'll work with anything you have although it's not recommended with LR attys/cartos because you have to keep the voltage low to keep the heat down. I find anything around 3 ohms works well and give me plenty of range to adjust.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
VV also extends the life of a carto/atty a significant amount for me.

I.E. When a fluxomizer or atty starts getting whimpy on my little mini batteries, but still works: I put it on a meter and see that with age the resistance has climbed a bit. I move it over to a VV mod and tune up the voltage a bit. I can keep doing this until it eventually pops. For some carto/atty types, we're talking weeks of added life to an atty that still fires, but is just flat out wimpy on my mini or ego fixed voltage batteries.

Forget trying to clean atties with VV to revive them. Just crank them up in small increments as they age :)

With something like a Darwin, "Variable Power" takes it even further.
I have some older atties that actually fluctuate a great deal in resistance over the cycle of a burn. I.E. I got one pretty old smoketech atty here that starts out at 4 Ohms when you first fire it, as it heats up, it drops to 2 Ohms! The Darwin adjusts the voltage in real time to keep it at a steady 8 watts for me (or whatever I set the power).

With regular eGo batteries, that old smoktech would be fit for little more than the garbage can, as the thing would probably 'time out' before it got hot enough to actually do anything useful! With the Darwin no sweat...the draw starts out at well over 5v, and drops to more like 4.2 as the atty warms up and resistance drops.

Pretty cool eh?

Last edited:

WindLvr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
Erie, PA
Wow that is a plethora of information! Well it looks like I will be placing an order tomorrow morning! I think I will be building my own VV box mod to start, and see how I like it. It's the only way I am able to afford that type of luxury at the moment. All the VV mods I have looked at are a bit outside my budget at the moment. Christmas is approaching us fast though! Maybe I will wrap something under the tree for myself this year?!?!?! A little something from Santa lmfao!

Thanks so much for all the information you guys! You have made me a believer, or at least made me willing to try!

So now what about the vari cool? Is that worth adding to a variable voltage mod?

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Wow that is a plethora of information! Well it looks like I will be placing an order tomorrow morning! I think I will be building my own VV box mod to start, and see how I like it. It's the only way I am able to afford that type of luxury at the moment. All the VV mods I have looked at are a bit outside my budget at the moment. Christmas is approaching us fast though! Maybe I will wrap something under the tree for myself this year?!?!?! A little something from Santa lmfao!

Thanks so much for all the information you guys! You have made me a believer, or at least made me willing to try!

So now what about the vari cool? Is that worth adding to a variable voltage mod?

The varicool is just the name they used i think . It uses a TI PTR08100 chip i think which you can get free samples of from ti.com . If building a vv box mod i would use that chip or even better the murata OKR-T6 chip .

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

Varicool is just a description for the type of regulator used. It's a switching regulator that's more efficient than linear which gives longer battery life and doesn't waste as much excess energy as heat...hence the "cool" in the name. Several different switching regulators can be used for this build and they perform about the same, the TI and Mutra are widely used among DIY but there are others as well.

The other type or regulator that's widely used is Linear. Linear has been around longer, recently switching has become the craze "for good reason imo" but Linear does the job and does it well. It does heat up more, especially if you chain vape and battery life isn's as good in comparison but the pluses are they cost less and can be easier to wire in if your building your own but that's a wash for most people. The Madvapes box mod and several of the lower priced box mods use this type of regulator.

To answer your question...For me personally it's well worth it and really isn't that big of a price difference if you shop around. Smoktech has just came out with a reasonably priced vv that using a switching regulator and there are several people in the modder/suppliers forum doing it. You can also mod your own to save even more if you have a few basic tools. It's a one time cost that you'll benefit from daily in battery life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread