Variable Voltage GLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Canuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The Kick is really more of a set it and forget it sort of thing. If I were trying to dial in the voltage for cartos of different resistances and juices, or even just swapping LR and SR cartos, I'd drive myself nuts opening the tube every few minutes or seconds to tweak the thing.
That's the real plus of the Kick IMO. Once you set it up where you like it, no matter what ohm atty/carto you put on it, the wattage output remains the same, so you don't have to dial it in every time.

sinnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Up north
That's the real plus of the Kick IMO. Once you set it up where you like it, no matter what ohm atty/carto you put on it, the wattage output remains the same, so you don't have to dial it in every time.

I've reread a bunch of info and re-watched several videos on the Kick and it's clear I misunderstood that this it is a variable wattage unit. I know next to nothing about electricity so I haven't got a clue as to the difference between the voltage and wattage.

I've found multiple references to the feature of the Kick (and Darwin) you mentioned in which it is stated that the circuitry will automatically adjust the voltage based on the resistance of the carto. This brings up 2 questions in my mind:
1) Isn't the end result generally the same as a variable voltage? By that I mean that, in the end, both methods allow you to adjust your PV to provide more or less power to the carto.
2) Doesn't this sort of automatic adjustment described for the Kick prevent you from dialing things into your taste? If there is some circuitry the is doing this, I am not the one deciding; it's the circuitry.

Any explanation would be much appreciated.

- Tim

Crazy Canuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
1) Isn't the end result generally the same as a variable voltage? By that I mean that, in the end, both methods allow you to adjust your PV to provide more or less power to the carto.
The end result, as far as I'm aware, is the same. It's just the method that is different. In VV you are manually adjusting voltage to the given resistance of the coil to increase or decrease the wattage to your preference. With the VW, you tell it what output you want, and it will make internal adjustments to the voltage for the desired output, regardless of the resistance of the coil.
2) Doesn't this sort of automatic adjustment described for the Kick prevent you from dialing things into your taste? If there is some circuitry the is doing this, I am not the one deciding; it's the circuitry.
The initial setup to your taste will probably be a bit of a pain... You'll adjust the pot, screw everything together, and test. Unscrew everything, adjust pot, screw everything together and test. Rinse and repeat until you hit your sweet spot for that juice. But after you've dialed it in, you won't have to go back in and reset it, no matter what resistance coil you attach to your PV. If you set it to let's say 9 watts, it will be 9 watts with a 1.5 ohm atty/carto or a 4 ohm atty/carto automatically.

I hope I've explained it a bit better, and if not, I'll leave it to more experienced users :) The only reason I haven't purchased a Darwin, is the looks. I personally can't stand them. With the Kick (hopefully out at the end of the month), I'll have the same tech as the Darwin, in the kick-... sexy package of my GLV :)

Kalimero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Helsinki

No it´s not. The resistance changes all the time, during a puff, from a puff to the next one, reacting to the temperature. The VW reacts and things stay the same for you. It stays the same even when you change the atty to next one. It´s near impossibility to achieve this with trying to keep up with rolling a switch with VV-device. Maybe someone is this good I don´t know. I don´t know even how someone would keep up with what is happening with ones atty.

Anyway I think this is semantics.

How much this in fact comes in to play when vaping, I think, not much.

BUT if you have a choice you would prefer the option off device which knows the resistance and reacts to it and also keeps the POWER as a constant, not the voltage.

This, the VW, should make vaping easier but I think It makes it easier only to those who have it, everyone else just gets a headache ;)

Last edited:

sinnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Up north
Still confused about it. If the VW is reacting to the ever-changing resistance, how are you able to force a hotter or cooler vape? It sounds to me like you could crank the thing up to 10 watts but the device wouldn't allow full power through based on the resistance it detects. That concept sounds a lot like a vv mod that has safety circuits built in (like the Lavatube for example) and therefore actually allows you LESS control. I understand that most people are probably not going to try and vape a 1.7 atty at the outer limits of its capabilities but still - with a true VV you could if you wanted. Does that make sense?

I should probably go find a thread on the Kick and ask these questions there, heheheheh.

- Tim

Kalimero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Helsinki
Does that make sense?
- Tim

No. VW is the only thing that keeps the vape all the time at the desired level you wanted, by reacting to the conditions, no VV does this. With VV the vape changes as the conditions change or your have to touch the dial and try to find the unknown again. You can crank the VW to as high you want and blow every atty you like, no limits there.

The headache is raising it´s ugly head...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread