Vapor King compatible parts discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzzaperez

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Perez-uzza to this day
I'm interested in hearing about what everyone has to say about compatible parts for the VK components in general and don't see a forum topic for this. If there is another thread addressing this please post a link.

For starters, my big question:

1. Is there a compatible atty that can be used for direct dripping with the VK batteries?

I love the balance of convenience, throat hit, vapor and flavor that the VK product has, but I tend to burn up the carts. Since burning through the cartomizers can get expensive over time, I want to find a direct drip atty to supplement my VK set up.

I've heard the 901 has a matching thread, can you use a 901 atty with a VK battery? Can you use a KR808D-1 cartomizer on a 901 battery?

2. Is there a manual battery or passthru out there that works with both the VK and Greencig cartomizers? (The Greencig carts work on the AUTOMATIC VK batteries, but not the manuals - an issue I understand V4L is working on).

3. What other compatible compenents are people using with their Vapor King batteries, cartomizers, passthrus, and PCCs?

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
I can answer the first one:

1) You can use a 901 atty on a VK battery. That will allow you to drip. You may get more airflow than you anticipated though.

You can physically put a cartomizer on a 901 battery, but you won't get a decent draw. The 901 battery isn't "vented" properly (which is why the 901 atty has a hole in it).

sl2222

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2009
NC-USA
Hi Scottbee,

Let me see if I understand this right.

I can have a VK battery and just order a 901 atty to screw on?
ergo, wouldn't you be converting your VK to a 901 and be able to use all the 901 cartridges?

Or am I crazy?:p

sl2222

I can answer the first one:

1) You can use a 901 atty on a VK battery. That will allow you to drip. You may get more airflow than you anticipated though.

calla2

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Greater ATL
Yes, the 901 atomizers work on the VK without needing an adapter. I frequently use my VK passthrough with a 901 atomizer to drip and that is my favorite to vape... strong vapor and great throat hit. The only problem is that you can only put in about 6 drops at a time (depending on the size of you dropper bottle) or the juice will leak out of the atomizer hole.

The added bonus is that if you have 901 accessories (e.g., wall charger, usb charger), they will work with the VK. You can even use a 901 mouth piece on the VK if you prefer the indented mouth piece to the round cartos, but you need to use a heated pin (use a match) or something to make the hole in it larger to get the proper drag. Likewise, you can charge 901 batteries on all VK chargers (usb, wall, PCC). So, I you are like me and switched to V4L from a 901, you don't have to lose all of the money that you invested in in the 901. HTH.

sl2222

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2009
NC-USA
Thanks for the reply calla2!

I don't have a 901 but it's nice to know that I could test a 901 by just getting an atty and a cartridge.

sl2222

Yes, the 901 atomizers work on the VK without needing an adapter. I frequently use my VK passthrough with a 901 atomizer to drip and that is my favorite to vape... strong vapor and great throat hit.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
The adapter that allows a 901 batt to vape a cartomizer has to have a hole in it..but if you have 801 devices and want to use a cartomixer you will need a ring style 801 to 901 adapter. Those little silver or gold rings alread have a hole in them...no extention needed.
Another tip..if you plan to drip in a 901 atty on your VK batt, think about getting the sealed manual batts. That way the liquid can't get down in the batt and short it out or make it stick. The cartomizers really don't leak..unless you over fill them so it isn't an issue with them.

calla2

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Greater ATL
The adapter that allows a 901 batt to vape a cartomizer has to have a hole in it..but if you have 801 devices and want to use a cartomixer you will need a ring style 801 to 901 adapter. Those little silver or gold rings alread have a hole in them...no extention needed.
Another tip..if you plan to drip in a 901 atty on your VK batt, think about getting the sealed manual batts. That way the liquid can't get down in the batt and short it out or make it stick. The cartomizers really don't leak..unless you over fill them so it isn't an issue with them.

Hmmm. I had no idea that the auto batteries could be shorted out. Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "make it stick?" Are all of the manual batteries sealed? "Sealed manual batts" could imply that some of the manual batteries are not sealed. I don't think that's what you meant but I just want to be sure. What about the passthroughs? Are they sealed or unsealed? My cartos usually leak when I refill, even after as little as 5 or so drops, and especially if I don't put the plug in first then let it sit to soak in. I'm always careful apply the drops slowly and evenly around the perimeter, and to not let liquid get into the center tube/hole, but that doesn't stop the leaking. I always stop at around 12 drops so that they, hopefully, won't leak onto the battery.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
The manual batteries have a switch that is separated. The auto batteries rely on air being drawn through the tube to actuate a switch. Therefore, because they're open, juice can run down into the switch.

The electrical resistance on the juice I've tested is very high (mega-ohms), so I'm note certain about "shorting out" but it will make a switch stick, open or closed, like mad.

If you keep the cartomizer at an angle (say around 45deg) when you fill and don't over-fill, they don't tend to leak much in my experience.

It sounds like you're not filling with the ....-plug in place? That's a must. Give them time to absorb into the batting with the ....-plug in place, and they won't leak. The batting wicks it up.

Passthroughs function identically to battery, be they manual or automatic, respectively. You're just replacing the power source.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
We gotcha covered, MK!

geek-keyboard.gif

calla2

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Greater ATL
The manual batteries have a switch that is separated. The auto batteries rely on air being drawn through the tube to actuate a switch. Therefore, because they're open, juice can run down into the switch.

The electrical resistance on the juice I've tested is very high (mega-ohms), so I'm note certain about "shorting out" but it will make a switch stick, open or closed, like mad.

If you keep the cartomizer at an angle (say around 45deg) when you fill and don't over-fill, they don't tend to leak much in my experience.

It sounds like you're not filling with the ....-plug in place? That's a must. Give them time to absorb into the batting with the ....-plug in place, and they won't leak. The batting wicks it up.

Passthroughs function identically to battery, be they manual or automatic, respectively. You're just replacing the power source.

Thanks Adrenalynn and MaryKay. The fact that after a couple of weeks all of my 901 batteries leaked and started turning themselves on (sometimes for extended periods) and off incessantly is what made me switch to V4L, so it's good to know that it is a generic design issue on auto batts not specific to the 901. My 901 batts died after about 2.5 months which ticked me off because I think they spent much more time on when I wasn't even vaping compared to how much I used them, so they should have lasted at least 3x as long. I just didn't know this was referred to as "sticking." :)

The first battery that I got from V4L is a manual V4L passthrough that I purposely got in the hopes of circumventing the issues that I had with the 901 batts. Unfortunately, I recently purchased an automatic passthrough for my car because it seems a little safer/less distracting, not understanding that the issue that I had with the 901 batts would be a problem for the automatic passthrough. Argh!

It does seem like activating a switch on a manual batt while juice is leaking could cause the same problem with juice into the switch, no?

And Adrenalynn, yes, I do keep the cartomizer at an angle during refills and only put in a dozen drops (slowly and in diff locations) to avoid over-fill (I often use less if the juice doesn't appear to be soaking in well). I'm not sure if I gave the wrong impression, but I meant that I learned early on to refill with the plug inserted. I also do set the cartos aside to allow the juice to soak in. Still I get leaking. Thanks for the great info though. I've gotten in the habit of cleaning up/soaking up excess juice from the battery end of the carto with a tissue or q-tip before removing the plug and attaching to a battery just to be on the safe side.

Sorry to go OT uzzaperez :oops:

calla2

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Greater ATL
Have you tried shaking it after a few drops, then adding drops and shaking again? This took care of the problem you speak of for me. I use the thermometer method, or Taryns spin method.

If by shaking you mean up and down holding the carto vertically, or even left and right holding the carto sideways, no I haven't... how do you keep the juice from flying out? Are you just putting your thumb over the top of the carto? I have tried holding it between my hands and rubbing vigorously back and forth to generate come centrifugal force but that didn't work. LOL. I've tried to sit down and read Taryns thread so many times but it's gotten so long that I keep putting it aside promising myself that I will sill down and read it soon. I'm too borderline OCD to just skim it. :lol: I read the general concept though and am looking forward to reading everyone's experiences and variations with it.

OP, sorry again for being off topic. 8-o

Sheryl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2009
Minn., USA
If by shaking you mean up and down holding the carto vertically, or even left and right holding the carto sideways, no I haven't... how do you keep the juice from flying out? Are you just putting your thumb over the top of the carto? I have tried holding it between my hands and rubbing vigorously back and forth to generate come centrifugal force but that didn't work. LOL. I've tried to sit down and read Taryns thread so many times but it's gotten so long that I keep putting it aside promising myself that I will sill down and read it soon. I'm too borderline OCD to just skim it. :lol: I read the general concept though and am looking forward to reading everyone's experiences and variations with it.

OP, sorry again for being off topic. 8-o
I just shake it like I would a thermometer. (it doesn't tip upside down so I don't cover it)

Taryn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Florida
You really don't need to read the whole spinning trick thread, people add ideas on what to use to spin with but the idea is still the same. Just read my first post. If you don't have a battery bag you can use a glove or just about anything as long as when you spin the battery end of the carto is pointed outwards. Make sure to put the plugs and condoms on before you spin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread