Vaping Tobacco Leaf - a guide to cigarette, pipe, and clove tobacco in Pax 3 and similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoronaVitae

Nov 27, 2021
There are very few discussions on the internet about how (and whether) to vape your own tobacco in devices designed to vaporize other plant material, such as the Pax 3. Having been a fan of Iqos and other Heat'n'burn products, I decided to experiment and share the results. I think I have found a reliable method for getting a smoking-like experience with loose tobacco, as well as pipe-like and clove-like experiences. I hope this is helpful to anyone else trying to decide whether to buy in the future. Generally, I found pipe tobacco the most satisfying, followed by clove and cigarette. That is likely because that is also the ranking from "most vapor" to "least".
  • Requirements:
    • Vaping device with temperature controls (I used Pax3)
    • Grinder, for achieving the right texture and density
    • Tobacco
      • Other posters have suggested very dry tobacco. I found this to be effective for the cigarette-like experience, but not necessary. Light tobacco may be superior.
        • In theory, ripping a cigarette could produce appropriate tobacco for vaping, but I did not try this.
      • The best experience was with American Spirit Organic. I also tried Top Menthol and several Peter Stokkebye types (e.g. Norwegian Shag). The dark Stokkebye tobacco was bad, but everything else worked fine; the menthol did not add much menthol flavor.
      • Pipe tobacco worked well, even though it is quite moist (see below). Grinding cloves into cigarette tobacco was also a great success (see below).
  • Cigarette-like vaping
    • Grind your tobacco in an upside-down grinder to get a finer grind, ideally about 1mm-2mm maximum length. Leaving your tobacco open between filling the grinder allows it to dry, and using a finer tobacco generally (whisps of tobacco instead of strips like some brands) also improves the spread of heat.
    • Use the smallest chamber available, ideally a 1/4 Tsp. tincture chamber for 4-sided heating. Pack the chamber tightly, but not so tight as to block air. After packing, you can suck air through the vape (with no heat) to test whether the airflow is blocked.
      • The Pax3 chamber is large enough to hold about 1/2 Tsp. of loose tobacco, but using the whole chamber tends to only heat the outer edges and produce a very short, low-flavor vapor.
      • The Pax3 includes a smaller chamber intended for vaping tinctures. It is about 1/4 Tsp. in size, and using this smaller chamber creats a larger surface-volume ratio. Even using the small amount of tobacco that it can hold produces a larger amount of more flavorful vapor. It lasts about half of the amount of time as a cigarette, but is very fulfilling IMHO.
    • Turn on your vape and vape away. I found 3/4 maximum heat to be ideal. Less heat produced less vapor (but plenty of nicotine), while more heat produced a more smoke-like flavor even without burning the tobacco.
    • Note that even after the vapor stops coming out, nicotine is being released, so you can continue to inhale if you need to. I find this dissatisfying, as the lack of flavor means you won't realize you're getting nicotine until you get too much and experience tremors or facial flush. Using cloves (see below) allows you to feel when the nicotine hits your lungs, because the clove oil creates a tingling sensation.
  • Clove-Cigarette Vaping
    • The experience of a clove cigarette can be replicated very easily by grinding fresh whole cloves in an upside-down grinder and mixing them directly into your tobacco.
    • Approximately 1/3 clove to 2/3 tobacco is ideal. More clove is harsh on the lungs, but less clove may be good if you just want a hint of flavor.
    • Vaping with cloves will leave clove-oil residue in the vape, and it will taste like cloves for a few days.
    • In theory, mixing in whiskey, vanilla, or other flavorings and then allowing the tobacco to dry (ideally under dry heat like an oven with only the pilot light on) would produce a more "correct" clove cigarette experience, but that would be very time consuming.
  • E-Pipe
    • The simplest, best experience was using pipe tobacco in the main chamber of the Pax3, which should translate for any other dry-herb vape.
    • I only tried moist cherry-tobacco, which produced a very large amount of vapor that closely imitated pipe smoke, except with no ash-flavor reside left in your mouth. A single chamber of pipe tobacco also produced pipe smoke for much longer than the same amount of cigarette tobacco.
    • The amount of nicotine released was enough to get a buzz without inhaling into the lungs.
So, those are my notes on heat-not-burn with your own tobacco. I hope someone out there finds this helpful and maybe adds to it with their own research and experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: Vapeon4Life

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
" devices designed to vaporize other plant material, such as the Pax 3." - What is a Pax 3 ?

Doesn't the powdered leaf need a base {Pg/Vg} ?

I was thinking about using tobacco leaf {or pipe, cigar tobacco} to extract nicotine {apparently some people say it can be done at home but directions seem confusing and complicated}. Can this be done? How complicated is it? Is it safe {supposedly pure nic is dangerous}, and how would you control
nicotine strength ?

CoronaVitae

Nov 27, 2021
TLDR: if you know what "heat not burn" is, but your country only sells the garbage Iqos flavors because of "laws," then you can vape loose-leaf tobacco by grinding it in an herb grinder upside-down and packing it into the smallest chamber of a dry-herb vaping device, adding flavoring or spices to your taste.

• Informative

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
This is about vaping using a vaporizer specifically made to vaporizer dry matter.
Yes, I did some research on it -
1. I think it was made originally for cannabis ?
2. So I suppose it could be used for tobacco leaves {and/or cigar or other tobacco products} ?
3. How would you control the amount of nicotine your getting ? Liquids specify specific amounts of nic.
4. If your 'vaporizing' a dry leaf is it really a vape OR some type of smoke you end up with?
5. Would it have the same low toxicity attributable to vaping ?

CoronaVitae

Nov 27, 2021
I was thinking about using tobacco leaf {or pipe, cigar tobacco} to extract nicotine {apparently some people say it can be done at home but directions seem confusing and complicated}. Can this be done? How complicated is it? Is it safe {supposedly pure nic is dangerous}, and how would you control
nicotine strength ?

I have serious concerns about vaping anything that I'm not 100% sure can go into my lungs. You could use a solvent (maybe ethanol) to extract nicotine, but I would have concerns about the concentration and any byproducts that might result. Byproducts could result from reaction with the alcohol or from the over-concentration of non-nicotine substances in the leaf that are alcohol-soluble. Also, can't you buy pure nicotine online to mix your own e-liquids? Pure nicotine is dangerous (use gloves, they say), but I think making your own pure nicotine would carry all of the same risk with a lot of unknown variables.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    TLDR: if you know what "heat not burn" is, but your country only sells the garbage Iqos flavors because of "laws," then you can vape loose-leaf tobacco by grinding it in an herb grinder upside-down and packing it into the smallest chamber of a dry-herb vaping device, adding flavoring or spices to your taste.
    I've seen a few of those devices. It would take more than a quarter thimble of tobacco in order to satisfy. Plus, the cleaning every other time of use would set me off.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yes, I did some research on it -
    1. I think it was made originally for cannabis ?
    2. So I suppose it could be used for tobacco leaves {and/or cigar or other tobacco products} ?
    3. How would you control the amount of nicotine your getting ? Liquids specify specific amounts of nic.
    4. If your 'vaporizing' a dry leaf is it really a vape OR some type of smoke you end up with?
    5. Would it have the same low toxicity attributable to vaping ?

I don't know much about it. I remember seeing a few videos of not-so-well-known reviewers doing reviews of of dry herb vaporizers using tobacco because back then YT didn't like the idea if people vaping drugs on YT. But now that drugs are normal and tobacco is all but illegal, I supposed things have changed.

At any rate, I had no interest in it myself but these devices they were using were all the cheaper stuff on the market at the time.

I don;t see why a device that was made for the funny tobacco wouldn't work with actual tobacco, but what do I know.

As far as regulating the nicotine, it's no different than smoking. You have no idea how much nicotine is in a cigarette and a google search is pointless as you'll find all different answers.

• Informative

K9Luvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 26, 2010
    Hampton, VA
    I've seen a few of those devices. It would take more than a quarter thimble of tobacco in order to satisfy. Plus, the cleaning every other time of use would set me off.
    I have a Pax, very expensive, great 10 year warranty, they are a nightmare to clean, never use it as a result

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I have a Pax, very expensive, great 10 year warranty, they are a nightmare to clean, never use it as a result
    Yeah. My daughter's roomate had one. If you're not totally on top of it, it would become a real mess. I'd only use it for its intended purposes. But then again, smoking other stuff won't do any lung damage anyway.

• Agree
    Reactions: K9Luvr
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread