Vaping NTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clem68W

Dec 29, 2009
Hawaii
So...I was going to make some monolithic post about the ins and outs of using a pv during an army training exercise (the worst kind by all accounts) at Ft. Irwin, CA. The National Training Center is rough, and generally painful. I decided to not be pedantic, though, this isn't all that instructional anyway, as it falls outside of the usual vaping experience people will find themselves in.

Nevertheless, for any of my comrades-in-arms who are fretting the question over whether or not it's possible to vape under some of the more spartan conditions, I can say...yes. With some conditions.

I went to NTC with some basic 510 starter kits, a few (oh so few) extra batteries, and about 120ml of ejuice. I had a little pelican case to hold my essentials so they wouldn't get wet or too beat up. I had chargers, a laptop, and a ac-usb wall adapter.

So, first, three ups, three downs:

Ups.
1. The US military is entirely reliant on electricity these days, so finding a 110 outlet is not as difficult as it used to be in the field. Wherever there's a toc, an aid station, or a handy Stryker AFV, you'll find a wall plug to recharge your batteries. This was my primary concern before going and it turned out to be a non-issue.
2. 510 atomizers are surprisingly resilient. They can bounce back from getting ran over, filled with sand, having food/water/gatorade/blood on or in them with a quick washing and a little rest.
3. Once you've explained it a million times, you are largely free to vape wherever you please, in and out of vehicles, inside the tent, building, or in the line for chow. Most people are sticklers for rules, and there are no rules against using a little stick that produces vapor in any environment. Ha ha ha! I win. Until some jackass officer decides he doesn't like it. As a corollary, since you smell like tasty things most of the time, you're actually pleasant to be around after being unbathed a week or two. Smokers get rather raunchy smelling around day 7.

Downs
1. Cartridges fall apart. They are small and plastic. They break easily, and they are hard to clean out. They get chewed up and kind of disturbingly grungy inside after a short while in the desert. I'm getting a superT tip m'self, I'd recommend to anyone else that you get a large stockpile otherwise.
2. Regular batteries on the 510 suck. They lose their charge even when you're not using them, and I mean, fast. Within a day or two. I don't know why exactly, they were well protected from accidental discharge. They just did not hold a charge well. Recharging wasn't a problem, but they didn't have much lasting power. Thankfully I had a megabattery, but even that was more or less dysfunctional by the end of my rotation. Surprisingly, automatic batteries kicked ... and are my only two functional batteries left after 6 weeks in training. Word to the wise...modify or prepare for disappointment.
3. Cleaning. It can't be done properly in the field. Don't even bother trying. Dirt and dust gets into everything. eliquid attracts it like nothing else. Carts, atties and bottles will get covered in it before long. My survival tactic was to carry a rag and wipe stuff off. Also, you have to remember that stuff can grow in ejuice...down in those warm, moist places inside your cart. Oh yes it can. Sanitary? Not really, but little is at NTC. I did what I could. I'm a medic, so I had access to alcohol wipes and the like, others will not be so lucky. In the end, I would've been better served if I had brought a lot more carts to swap out. It was pretty bad towards the end (I was tailpiping at times).

Okay, so...to sum up:
It was not as hard as I thought to vape during training at NTC. Conditions (for vaping, that is) in Iraq will not be harder than that. Good luck if you're trying it out the first time. Bring lots of replacement parts. Bring the biggest batteries you can get, and bring lots of them. A useful tool is the handkerchief. Dripping is almost easier. Automatic batteries are the .... when you've got to shoot at stuff or drive. Ejuice tastes fanastic when you are living off MREs.

I'm out.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Thanks so much for the excellent read. I was wondering how vaping in the military would be. Would be so great to see the commisaries full of vaping materials. How would the FDA fight their own military, heh heh? But then, again, since military is government, vaping supplies will probably never see the inside of the commisaries. :(

Thanks for posting, thanks for sharing, thanks for serving our country. Hug. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread