Vaping Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub411

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2011
Georgia, Valdosta
Ok, my first post. I've only been vaping a short while and in order to contribute and payback for all the future questions I'm going to ask, and to help people who are not very savvy with certain concepts I started to put together a bible. I would be helpful if someone could put together a chapter on batteries, or anything more specific to vaping as I'm only comfortable explaining things I 100% understand and have knowledge of. filehosting.org - download page for Modding_Bible_Vol1.docx word doc that contains formatting for easier reading. Please proof this as much as possible, suggestions on additions are welcome. Hopefully next week will bring Vol. 2.

Vaping Bible
Vol. 1
Electricity & Vaping
Chapter 1
Who cares?
YOU SHOULD! Most people start vaping to escape the dreaded Cigarette, not only for its ill health effects but it’s generally poor “stigma”. The properties of electricity play a major part in the success rate of people staying away from cigarettes because it determines the quality & taste of your vapor.

Let’s start out by explaining what electricity actually is.
Webster says Electricity: A fundamental form of energy observable in positive and negative forms that occurs naturally (as in lightning) or is produced (as in a generator) and that is expressed in terms of the movement and interaction of electrons.
Simply put it’s a flow of electrons, think of it as water flowing through a hose, the hose being a piece of solid metal(there are more materials that can be used but they don’t serve a purpose in this case) in the case of electricity.

Chapter 2
Resistance, current, watts, volts…. and vapor?
What the hell does do any of these terms have to do with vaping? Let’s explore what each means and how it plays a role in your new life.
(NO MORE WEBSTERS DEFINITIONS)
Resistance (Ohms) – This term relates to how hard it is for the electrons to flow through the metal (different metals have different resistances, naturally). Back to the example of water, if you were to have a normal 1/2” hose and you hook it up to 1” pipe and turn in on the water it would take you a about 30 seconds to fill up a bucket, but if you were to take a 1” hose and hook it up, you would fill the bucket 2x as fast because there is more space for the water to flow. As a general rule; always true, electricity flows along the path of least resistance. Which leads us to our next term current.
Current (AMPS) – This is in reference to how many electrons are flowing through the conductor (the hose).How do you determine how many will flow? Simple, Resistance and Volts.
Volts – You can think of this as the driving force behind the flow of electrons, this is what pushes them through the conductor. In our example of water; what do you think would happen if say you hooked our 1” hose to fire hydrant, it would probably blow the hose to pieces from the pressure. Which leads us to watts.
Watts or Heat or Power – This is the whole purpose behind electricity, the whole reason it exists in our everyday lives, it’s what does the work. The term watts refers to how we measure the amount of work that electricity is doing, in vaping the work we are doing is creating heat to vaporize liquid. The amount of heat we need is determined by many factors including preference. It is influenced by Volts, Resistance, and Current.
Ok get to the part where these let me enjoy vapor, you got it!!

Chapter 3
Circuits
Circuits – A circuit is a computation of electronic components that produce Volts, Current, and Resistance. For the purposes of this section we will only explore series (I know I didn’t cover this term) circuits. The most basic circuit to serve our purpose is shown below. It is made up of a conductor (wire) and a battery (produces voltage). The green lines represent the flow of electrons.
Circut 1.jpg
We have produced 3 things with this circuit, voltage, current and resistance. So where’s the heat? Well, the amount of resistance produced by a straight piece of wire is very minimal, it is not enough to produce the heat we need to vaporize our juice. Well ...., how do we get our heat? Simple, add more resistance to our circuit. In vaping that is done with the use of a coil of wire.
Wait, wait, wait, you said wire doesn’t have enough resistance to produce our heat. Your right I did say a straight piece of wire will not give us the heat we need but a tightly coiled piece of wire will. Due to the material used and amount of wire coiled into a small area. Consider this; you have 1000 gallons of water, you put it into a hose 2000ft long. Now, I’m sure you can go to any single point along that hose and have no problems picking it up right? Well what would happen in you coiled that hose up? Good luck lifting that.
In vaping the coil is contained in the Atomizer or Cartomizer. So the resistance is the measure of the coil’s resistance.
Circut 2.jpg
Conclusion
So what should you take from all of this? Your input voltage and your resistance will determine your heat. This is very important to consider in regards to vapor production, taste, and your vaping experience. Next chapter we will explore advanced circuits; to include switches, component specifications and why they matter.

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Welcome to ECF !

Have a look around :)

Check out The ECF Library there is a wonderful 6 part series called The Wonderful World of Vaping.

There is also Modding Forum and the people there can give you a hand with whatever you would want to build.

Also Ecigarette Technical Issues if you need assistance.

Off Topic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
The Wood Between the Worlds
As you get into specifics, you will find your "bible" outdated very quickly. Just in the few months I've been vaping I've seen shifts in the trends of hardware and juice usage, particularly in VV tube mods and WTA juice. Expect more big changes.

Then, depending on how Big Brother reacts--all bets could be off. I'm prepared for this contingency, most are not.

jdub411

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2011
Georgia, Valdosta
Yeah I guess I should have done a little more searching. I wanted my 1st post to be something worthwhile not just randomness to get post count. Anyway it helped hairball a little so as long as it helped one person it was worth it.

I doubt I'll continue with any more volumes, if anyone has any questions in guards to anything about electricity ie. VV circuts, voltage regualtion, etc etc they can message me. Or I'm sure I'll see it on the modding section.

Off Topic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
The Wood Between the Worlds
There are quite a few of us who understand the electrical/chemistry/physics of what's happening inside our PVs. Then we have some who understand none of it, and have just as much fun with it.

It's a bit of a search, but you will find people here who have designed and built their own power systems, attys, tanks, juice.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I know all that info is here at ECF for us to peruse but 10 X for the effort and the fact that it's in layman's terms. A GREAT first post IMHO. Thank you, Vapoor.

Yeah I guess I should have done a little more searching. I wanted my 1st post to be something worthwhile not just randomness to get post count. Anyway it helped hairball a little so as long as it helped one person it was worth it.

I doubt I'll continue with any more volumes, if anyone has any questions in guards to anything about electricity ie. VV circuts, voltage regualtion, etc etc they can message me. Or I'm sure I'll see it on the modding section.

jdub411

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2011
Georgia, Valdosta
It's a bit of a search, but you will find people here who have designed and built their own power systems, attys, tanks, juice.

oh I have no doubt about that. I just didn't see anything in new member forum that was in depth and super basic. I tried to write this so my father could understand it, he is the most technically handicap person I know. He cant even work a GPS in his car.

rob5482

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
new york
It is a great 1st post, and ty classwife, at the time of my original response I was having 0 luck finding the links I was speaking of. Also to the OP I didn't intend to discourage you in any way on your undertaking, I as merely trying to let you know that the information you are looking to put into one place is all here, you just need to find it.

Ask alot of questions, you will find some of the most helpful people part of this forum.

FAAmecanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Crestview, FL
Wasn't much trouble took me about 20minutes. I'm hoping to put out a finished product that will be 1 stop shopping for people who come here that want to know more and only understand that they hook this cart thingie to this battery thingie and vapor comes out.

I love it... and if you're willing to go thru all the trouble to put this together, I will be one of the first to read it :) Thanks for your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread