Vape shop options

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Hey guys just wondering how ya'll find a vape shop that you like there are several in my town almost too many to visit lol. If you go in to look around and ask questions about possibly purchasing your first kit do you just go by price or how the vibe is or both? There is an Altsmoke here they get amazing reviews so I'll probably hit them up so I can sample some juice but there are some other small shops too part of me thinks the smaller shops may be better but I'm the type of person I am very intuitive so I just go by vibe and how the feel is as to whether or not I want to buy something. As a newbie when I start hitting up the shops I literally am mostly clueless as to vaping I just know what I want basically: a sleek easy good vape pen I'm not looking to be a cloud chaser just get a clean easy good vape so I can ditch the cigs. There's like 7-8 vape shops near me so I've decided to buy my first kit in a shop so I can ask questions and know what I'm getting but I go by what the feel is of the salespeople if they are chill and nice and also not too pricey so much to consider. I know I don't want to spend too much initially just get the hang of things.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Robby,

Welcome to the site!

I know it's a lot to cover but I would suggest reading as much as you can here before making a purchase. I went a little overboard and read everything I could for two months before I made my purchase.

Whatever you decide good luck. You'll know you find the right place if they take there time to talk to you. Know you will pay more at a B&M but it's cool that you want to pend your money locally.

Reactions: Cognator

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
-I go by price they sell products. I expect some mark up, but if it's $20 more then forget that shop in my opinion.
-I go by their knowledge. I know a good amount of information. If I go in an ask questions and they can't answer a simple question or they push me to a mech mod when it's what I say I don't want. Then forget that shop.
-The vibe in the shop matters to me. If I go in a shop that is so ridiculously foggy I can't see the counter from the door, I just walk right back outside and leave.
-Employee's make the world of difference. They can be knowledgeable, but if they're rude about how they talk then forget that shop.

I only found 2 shops I like, but there isn't many shops in the area I live.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
1) If it feels like walking into a high pressure sales car dealership, especially if they try showing you everything in the more expensive intermediate to advanced level, the super high priced ejuice brand and not listening to you turn and walk away.
2) If everyone in the shop is all about blowing clouds only or you ain't vaping, turn and walk away
3) If they have their starter Ego (Pen/Cigar Sized) starter kits at a $100 or more, turn and RUN away

Basic Ego Class with a Starter Clearomizer with a bottle of juice and maybe some replacement coils should not be more than about $50 or so
Good starter to look at, it is piece meal with a bottle of juice, Eleaf iStick30w with an Aspire Nautilus or Aspire Nautilus Mini, about $80 max

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hi Robby, and welcome to ECF. I agree with Marc, read as much as you can before going to the B&M. I was very lucky and found a local B&M that is extremely good with their customer service. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Building a relationship with the store is a good first step. If they don't want to help they obviously don't want your money.

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
Ask questions let them know what your looking for, if there trying to sell you something out of the spectrum it's probably not the shop for you. Vape/smoke shops are usually not the right place to go in my experience. There should be a good vibe for sure imo! Expect a mark up but don't super over pay. You shouldn't start with a mech mod imo.

Make sure you look around and see what your interested in/prices, before you head out/or sit on there couch/walk outside for a min and googlefoo prices online. I know someone that went to a vape shop left with a istick 20w(60$..) and a mad hatter rda(47$..) Don't be that guy!

Hey guys just wondering how ya'll find a vape shop that you like there are several in my town almost too many to visit lol. If you go in to look around and ask questions about possibly purchasing your first kit do you just go by price or how the vibe is or both? There is an Altsmoke here they get amazing reviews so I'll probably hit them up so I can sample some juice but there are some other small shops too part of me thinks the smaller shops may be better but I'm the type of person I am very intuitive so I just go by vibe and how the feel is as to whether or not I want to buy something. As a newbie when I start hitting up the shops I literally am mostly clueless as to vaping I just know what I want basically: a sleek easy good vape pen I'm not looking to be a cloud chaser just get a clean easy good vape so I can ditch the cigs. There's like 7-8 vape shops near me so I've decided to buy my first kit in a shop so I can ask questions and know what I'm getting but I go by what the feel is of the salespeople if they are chill and nice and also not too pricey so much to consider. I know I don't want to spend too much initially just get the hang of things.
Hello there Robby and welcome to the forums!! I would imagine that you will get plenty of good suggestions here from the more experienced forum members. I am a newbie myself, so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt. I was able to completely stop using cigarettes about 3 weeks ago by using a KangerTech Subox Mini Starter Kit. This kit will run you between 65 annd 70 dollars depending upon where purchased. I am not sure if links are allowed here, but I purchased mine at an online vendor called MistHub. Just google that name. I wish you success and I just know you will get better ideas other than what I have here :rolleyes:

Reactions: dcfluegel

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
AltSmoke will probably be your best option. The others will more than likely want to set you up with a cheap hybrid mech and RDA...

I'll second that on AltSmoke. I've been to their Akron and Cincinnati stores (Cincy's is gorgeous!) and the staff 1) knows their stuff and they're not snotty buttheads about it 2) won't try to railroad you into complex equipment you may not be ready for 3) they have a really great selection of both gear and e-juice. Recommended!

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
Welcome Robby, you've came to the right place to gain some really useful answers. Just from personal experience, the older the seller, the better. But, like I said thats my experience, and i'm not a fan of chain vape stores. Went to 2 of them around here a couple of times and had really bad experience. One test I like doing is when I walk in, let them know that you are new to vaping and that you are just browsing and probably not buying anything (and when I say it it's usually a white lie) and if they still answer the 20 million questions you may have, I'll give them points. I tend to buy from B&M for the most part as well, I know I over pay frequently, but I believe it as its benefits. ( All here say, always do your research and what you feel comfortable with)

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I'll second that on AltSmoke. I've been to their Akron and Cincinnati stores (Cincy's is gorgeous!) and the staff 1) knows their stuff and they're not snotty buttheads about it 2) won't try to railroad you into complex equipment you may not be ready for 3) they have a really great selection of both gear and e-juice. Recommended!

Wow, I had no idea there is one at Belden Village. May have to check them out this weekend...

stacia719

Aug 21, 2015
I don't know if you know a lot of other vapers locally, but word of mouth is a good thing. I found my favorite shop after a bartender who was vaping told me there was a shop in a town near me, so I stopped in when it wasn't super busy and talked to the owner. He let me swap out my drip tip and try his mod/tank, put his tank on my mod, demonstrated what happens when ya turn a 200W box to full wattage (spoiler alert, fire) and showed me two istick 50w (asked his opinion) that had 510 issues so he bought them back to tear down & he showed me the difference in models. I was thoroughly impressed, and THAT is my go-to B&M. Other places I've been to were willing to answer questions but didn't give me a ton of confidence. I walked out knowing what tank I'm saving up for with delicious juice that I want a half gallon of pretty bad.

Just going and hanging out is a big part of it. If you get a bad vibe, don't stay.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Thanks everyone I feel the love darlings! Lol. I am such a big online shopper but for my first kit I'll have to get it in a b&m because I'll need to know how to use it & ask questions & .... & plus I want to get something simple & sleek yet will get the job done so to speak. Not wanting a real fancy techy device just a simple decent pen maybe a small box if price is right yea I know I'll pay more but since it'll be my first time (for vaping that is) ;) I want to have that hands on the first time I buy a kit. I don't know any vapers yet my friends smoke cigarettes like me. Plus I'm kind of a loner too lol. So I'll probably buy a kit that I think would work for me but I'm not going to spend too much the first time until I get the hang of things but I also def don't want a piece of .... that will tear up in a week. Ideally something that would last a few months with very basic simple parts until I can upgrade. I'm leaning towards Altsmoke but it's way on the other side of town (Lexington) but I'll just feel a couple out and see. I literally wouldn't know what I am doing since I have never vaped, only smoke my Menthols thanks for all the tips I'll keep ya'll posted! :cool:

theddead

running with scissors since 1970
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thanks everyone I feel the love darlings! Lol. I am such a big online shopper but for my first kit I'll have to get it in a b&m because I'll need to know how to use it & ask questions & .... & plus I want to get something simple & sleek yet will get the job done so to speak. Not wanting a real fancy techy device just a simple decent pen maybe a small box if price is right yea I know I'll pay more but since it'll be my first time (for vaping that is) ;) I want to have that hands on the first time I buy a kit. I don't know any vapers yet my friends smoke cigarettes like me. Plus I'm kind of a loner too lol. So I'll probably buy a kit that I think would work for me but I'm not going to spend too much the first time until I get the hang of things but I also def don't want a piece of .... that will tear up in a week. Ideally something that would last a few months with very basic simple parts until I can upgrade. I'm leaning towards Altsmoke but it's way on the other side of town (Lexington) but I'll just feel a couple out and see. I literally wouldn't know what I am doing since I have never vaped, only smoke my Menthols thanks for all the tips I'll keep ya'll posted! :cool:

I spent a lot (a lot!) Of money at altsmoke.com online.
Chatted with staff, got advice.
I like Em.
Good people.

SpartanM

Aug 22, 2015
Robby,

Welcome to the site!

I know it's a lot to cover but I would suggest reading as much as you can here before making a purchase. I went a little overboard and read everything I could for two months before I made my purchase.

Whatever you decide good luck. You'll know you find the right place if they take there time to talk to you. Know you will pay more at a B&M but it's cool that you want to pend your money locally.

What does "B&M" stand for?

-themaxster

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Yea I'm fortunate that there's an actual bricks and mortar Altsmoke fairly close to me, and several small vape shops although some of them sound a bit shady as far as customer service compared to Altsmoke. For my first kit my budget is around 70.00-80.00 and don't really even want to spend that much if I don't have to. I'll have to buy my first one in a b&m so I can know how to work it. Down the road, when I get the hang of it, I'll start shopping online.

Reactions: theddead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread